What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Anodized Canopy Side Rails

BSwayze

Well Known Member
I've been mulling this over for weeks. Wondering how I was going to finish the canopy side rails on my fuselage. I have been trying to decide whether or not to paint them now or later, prime the underneath side for now, wait until after they are riveted on, or whatever. Then recently, when I attended the 2009 Vans Homecoming Fly-in, I was looking at a lot of airplanes.

One thing really caught my attention this time. The canopy side rails of all those planes. Go to a fly-in and take a look at the side rails of the airplanes present there. I'm talking about the tip-ups. They all had scuffed paint on the top surface. Every single one of them. I could not find an exception. From Van's factory demo 7A right on down the ramp, including brand new airplanes just recently finished. Scuffed paint. I know this area has a lot of wear-and-tear from entering and exiting the aircraft, but there has to be an answer. Something better than paint.

So I looked again at my brake pedals. You may have see that I had them anodized a bright fiery red color a while back. Then my son Luke came over with the threshhold to the front door to his house. He's doing a lot of remodeling right now, and he wanted to ask me if he could use my scotchbrite wheel to clean it up a bit. Guess what it's made of? Anodized aluminum! After all the years that door has been on their house, yes, it shows some wear and tear. But considering the abuse it has taken from daily foot traffic, the dog, and so on, it still looked pretty good. It has to be a lot more durable than paint! So I decided to have these parts anodized, just like I did with my brake pedals. Will they hold up? I don't know of anyone else who has done this, so I have nothing to go on. But my hunch tells me it will hold up a lot better than a coat of paint.

So then the next question comes up: what color? I don't know what my paint scheme will look like at this point. But one thing I know for sure. There will be some red in it. So I thought, why not match the brake pedals and do the fiery red? So I took the F-721A's and B's down to the same shop that did my brake pedals. My only regret is that had I known sooner, I could have had all this work done at the same time and saved a second shop fee. Anyway, here are the results. I am totally thrilled. So I thought I'd share the idea with all of you.

100_7024%20(Small).JPG

When I brought these home from the shop I had to immediately cleco them on to see how they look.

100_7025%20(Small).JPG

100_7026%20(Small).JPG

100_7027%20(Small).JPG

I like the contrast between this and the interior color. I hope to put an accent of the same color in the upholstery. I'm trying to imagine how great that's going to look.

Anodeified side rails eh....

Nice touch Bruce...Can't say I have ever seen it done.
I polished up the roller track extrusions on my -9A, and they look real nice.

Regards,
Chris

Rails

I anodized my -8 canopy rails black. After 500 hours they are still in perfect shape. I did get a "hard" coating and would recommend doing the same. I also did the hard coating on my canopy track and it has also held up very well. I was concerned the black on the rails might get too hot but that has not been a problem. My only other suggestion, and you probably already know this, is to make sure you polish out any surface scratches before you have the pieces anodized. Even the smallest scratches really show up after the coating processes.

Me too

Hardcoated. Can't find a pic (although I know I have one somewhere) showing a larger image of the 721 decks. This one obviously shows the custom tip up latch guides.

1775031054a0235804a34b.jpg

regarding anodizing

This might be a good place for a discussion regarding changes in fatigue strength from anodizing. Would its use raise concerns when applied to airframe construction?
This is the only reference I could find altho I've encountered this info several times over the years:
http://www.finishing.com/4600-4799/4730.shtml

Last edited:
This might be a good place for a discussion regarding changes in fatigue strength from anodizing. Would its use raise concerns when applied to airframe construction?

Those rails don't look like they carry any load - certainly not any real bending load.

Wow, how nice. Great idea!

This is the only reference I could find altho I've encountered this info several times over the years:
http://www.finishing.com/4600-4799/4730.shtml

vans has already discussed anodizing, and their specific concern on the spar was that it would weaken the spar's fatigue limits, not the strength limits, but you'd have to fly the plane a VERY high number of hours before you would ever see any results from said weakness. the quick google i found on it was 80 years of flying. more years if less g's, etc

especially for the canopy rails, but also in general --- not an issue.

Last edited:
Wow!

Bruce, just take the whole plane down and have it anodized. Now for the rivets, are you going to have them anodized too!

Keep up the good work!

where can one take parts to anodized....?

you should have several anodizing or plating shops in a large city, generally look them up in the phone book under plating, anodizing, metal finishing, you get the picture.:)

edit- you can do it yourself also, it is a fairly easy process but you must pay attention to details and cleanliness to get professional results

These parts have a purpose

The anodizing looks like great. Very nice... and definitely should hold up better than paint.

While we are discussing strength in this area I thought I would point out that these parts are structural. I've seen a few other builders make modification here that I thought were a bit doubtful.

The primary purpose of the rails is to stiffen the longerons so they do not bow in a crash. As your body acts on the anchor points attached to the back of the tail, they are about the only thing stopping your head from going through the instrument panel as the fuselage buckles. Cutting bits out of them, drilling holes and such like is not really advisable.

Many builders also tend to have a couple of goes at drilling them. It is one area where edge distance is pretty important. I also installed 1/8 rivets rather than the 3/32 called out in the plans. I trust Van's calculations, but I also figured 1/8 rivets couldn't hurt.

Cheers
Richard

Looks great. Wish I could have done this but alas, impossible with a QB. I did anodize my panel and it looks great that way.

Someone asked about anodizing rivets - my understanding is that this will not work well because the chemical composition of the rivets is different from the sheet aluminum. I had to paint the rivet heads on the top part of the panel where it is riveted to a stiffener.

greg

Back