What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Help with a 496?

7pilot

Well Known Member
I am on a trip with my Garmin 496 and my 12 V power cord just pulled apart, so now I can't charge it or use it :eek: (since I don't have any other accessories with me.) I still have quite a bit of my trip left and was hoping maybe someone could loan me a cord which I would be happy to return as soon as I can.

I am in the quad cities area (Blue Grass IA)tonight and will be headed to Milwaukee tomorrow. If anyone in either area could help me out I would really appreciate it. I would be happy to come to you if you are somewhere in the quad cities area or tomorrow in Milwaukee area. The location I am in is not optimal for using a computer, but if you could call me if you are in a position to help - my mobile is 496-964-3434.

Thanks!!

Stewart

Last edited:
Stewart,

Give Garmin a call (US Toll Free: 1-800-800-1020). It turns out they had a bad batch of these plugs and the result is they pull appart.

Garmin over nighted both a new car kit and hardwire plug to me at no charge.

BTW, it turns out both the CS rep's I spoke with were pilots. :)

Another option ...

If you do not get one, visit the local West Marine or Boater's World. They probably have something for the 476 etc series and it should be compatible (I think).

James

I'm just east of you

in Sterling Il. Would be glad to help if I can. I just purchased a 496 at Kosh and have the plug-in and "wire-in" cords.

Call me if you like at 702.278-0273

Thanks!

Thanks for the advice and offers of help. I was unable to get back on to the forum to check for responses, but I ended up going out to the Waukesha airport on the outside chance I would be able to talk someone into helping me. Lo and behold there was a 12 volt plug in their display case for sale! I was happy to pay them for it to have my tunes and navigation on the way home. I didn't mention I was in Milwaukee for the Harley Davidson 105th anniversary, so I was on my Harley. I made a mount for the XM antenna and used the yoke mount for my Garmin - pumped into a noise cancelling headset it was definitely nice to have along as I was on the bike for over 1000 miles each way from Texas.

Thanks again for the responses,

Stewart

Back