What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Stick grip clearance help needed

dwranda

Well Known Member
I got my panel in its final position so I am cutting the tubes to install the grips. When not seated in the plane the grip will hit the throttle quadrant at its most forward and right position, but seated I have to move my leg way out of position to come close to it. In its forward stop position I have a fingers width between the grip and the bottom of the panel. Are these positions good? I don't have any experience flying RVs so not sure if I would ever have to move my leg out of the way to go all the way forward and right with the stick. I may cut another 1/2 inch off just for comfort reasons.
20210424-110615.jpg

20210424-110537.jpg

20210424-110650.jpg

Ideally you want no physical obstruction to the stick movement, your legs does not count as you can easily move the leg should that much movement is needed. But if it does hit the penal or any other non-moveable parts, I suggest to remedy that. Most forward and to the left or right movement are the typical area that the stick hits and seldom such pronounced stick movement is needed in a RV but it needs to be cleared otherwise you don't have the full movement of your control surfaces.

Ideally you want no physical obstruction to the stick movement, your legs does not count as you can easily move the leg should that much movement is needed. But if it does hit the penal or any other non-moveable parts, I suggest to remedy that. Most forward and to the left or right movement are the typical area that the stick hits and seldom such pronounced stick movement is needed in a RV but it needs to be cleared otherwise you don't have the full movement of your control surfaces.

Ok Sat morning gutter humor- “But if it does hit the penal.... or any non-moveable part” - definitely need to adjust the stick forward.

Rigging

I'm no where near that point but what about the control surfaces?
Do they allow the stick to go that far?
Just curious.

As a rough rule, range of movement in the stick will be about 20 degrees from neutral in all directions.
This is dictated by properly adjusted control stops installed for the elevator and ailerons, limiting control deflections to max values stated in the build manual.
You can't determine interference with the panel until all the control surfaces & linkage are hooked up and against the control stops.

As a rough rule, range of movement in the stick will be about 20 degrees from neutral in all directions.
This is dictated by properly adjusted control stops installed for the elevator and ailerons, limiting control deflections to max values stated in the build manual.
You can't determine interference with the panel until all the control surfaces & linkage are hooked up and against the control stops.

Thanks. I'm still in my garage so don't have any control surfaces hooked up yet. To hit the quadrant is more than 20 degrees deflection. Guess I'll stick with what I've currently got then adjust during assembly if i need to.

Back