What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-4 values these days?

grantcarruthers

Well Known Member
Looking for current value estimates as I'm placing my 4 on the market.

inverted fuel but not oil
no g meter
built 1994, no significant squawks that aren't being addressed at the moment besides turn coordinator inop
uAvionix echo ads in/out
six pack
single nav/com, good intercom, single ILS/VOR, 496 included with nice gooseneck hard mount on the center tunnel but battery power only
O-320 160 hp avgas setup, loves 91 octane mogas ethanol free when available
450 airframe/tach hours, 800 when installed so 1250ish tt. burns no oil, add a quart very 6-10 hours and an air oil separator would likely double that time before adding oil. Belly is lightly rust proofed ;-)
158.5 knot cruise 8000 feet full throttle 4 course averaged
Warneke wood fixed pitch in good condition, could use a refinish in the next 5 years
new vetterman exhaust 10 years ago
new mags, carb rebuilt ~8 years ago
annual last week nothing but oil change, brake pads, elt batteries, and usual
Paint 9/10 other than a couple fiberglass repairs on upper cowl that were roughly painted in a close color. Could be professionally color matched with very minimal effort
Hangared it's whole life
Canopy 8/10 at least with faint mild scratches as appropriate for 27 years, no need whatsoever for replacement or repair
Tires have less than 100 hours on them, add air 6-12 mos
Right wing mildly heavy at purchase and Troy Grover built a aileron trim tab that hasn't moved since 07

That's all I can think of for an informal unofficial list of attributes. Did I miss anything that you would want to know to assess value or want on a sale listing?

Paid 49,900 in ~07 when -4's were on the market 4-10 days and there were frequently none listed at all

Thanks very much for any input or questions

Attachments

• image_6483441.JPG
    image_6483441.JPG
    45.6 KB · Views: 231
I know that plane..

A little off topic, but I watched that plane be built along with a couple others. I rode backseat with Pat Hatch in his RV4,formation take off with your plane, built and piloted by Jim Star here in NC. The jig used to build the fuselage I later used for mine, and was built by Pat..3 RV-4s from the same jig..bringing back some memories!!! Back to the subject, i think -4s are still very much sought after and seem to move pretty quickly.. hard to put a price on any of them, but 45-65 K seems to be the median range.

First of all, I consider the RV4 to be the best all around sport plane available for the price of anything available today. But - it’s such a good value because of its price. It’s basically undervalued compared to other used RV’s on the market today. I paid $40K for mine a year + ago. It had a VFR panel, a 275 hour O-360 engine/airframe, fixed pitch Sensenich prop, and a not too attractive paint scheme (but not terribly worse than yours). I’ve upgraded several things - Sensenich GA carbon prop, new glass panel, new wiring, electronic ignition, and many other mods, at a cost of nearly $20K. I would consider the value of my airplane at around $55K on the used airplane market today if it was for sale - it’s not. Yours would be worth less than that, based on my evaluation, which is what you asked for - just my unprofessional evaluation.

Ultimately, it’s worth whatever anybody wants to pay for it, and that’s based on market demand and availability.

A little off topic, but I watched that plane be built along with a couple others. I rode backseat with Pat Hatch in his RV4,formation take off with your plane, built and piloted by Jim Star here in NC. The jig used to build the fuselage I later used for mine, and was built by Pat..3 RV-4s from the same jig..bringing back some memories!!! Back to the subject, i think -4s are still very much sought after and seem to move pretty quickly.. hard to put a price on any of them, but 45-65 K seems to be the median range.

That's fantastic history that I'm very glad you could share. Love this small world. Tell Jim that it's been very well loved and appreciated for the 13+ years I've enjoyed it

I undervalued it by your range. I'll do some more research before I let her go. I knew I bought at the price peak pre 2008 crash when everything was appreciating dramatically, and had seen some in the high 30's last I looked. But I wasn't really paying attention nor comparing apples to apples either.

Appreciate your post, be well

Your Warnke prop is probably Bernie's best design. I tested many for him and had one identical to yours on my -4.

Nice RV, good luck with your sale.

It's a fantastic prop indeed! Perfect blend for short field with excellent cruise and smooth as butter

Who would you have refinish it these days?

First of all, I consider the RV4 to be the best all around sport plane available for the price of anything available today. But - it’s such a good value because of its price. It’s basically undervalued compared to other used RV’s on the market today. I paid $40K for mine a year + ago. It had a VFR panel, a 275 hour O-360 engine/airframe, fixed pitch Sensenich prop, and a not too attractive paint scheme (but not terribly worse than yours). I’ve upgraded several things - Sensenich GA carbon prop, new glass panel, new wiring, electronic ignition, and many other mods, at a cost of nearly $20K. I would consider the value of my airplane at around $55K on the used airplane market today if it was for sale - it’s not. Yours would be worth less than that, based on my evaluation, which is what you asked for - just my unprofessional evaluation.

Ultimately, it’s worth whatever anybody wants to pay for it, and that’s based on market demand and availability.

Thanks very much for your input

Blue skies ;)

The good news is you waited until the market is probably at another peak or at least very strong:D. Buyers will want to know if all the service bulletins are up to date which you didn't mention. If some are not done that will likely become a negotiating point due to the cost to have them done.

Last edited:
The RV 4 is the most undervalued airplane in the Vans Fleet. I compiled the list of what it would cost to build my rv4 in todays market. 85k just for the components. I have had two friends by -4s in the last couple of months one was a O360 fixpitch 50k ,the other is a O320 with a Hartzell constant speed 40k, What a bargain for the performance.

https://goo.gl/photos/jccKpfFtugvgR8pz6
*These pictures are from 2017 when I sold the "Hornet". It was listed at $65,000.00 and I had only 2 prospective buyers see it in 4 months time. The second fellow bought it on the spot.

I've been in love with the RV-4 since I first saw it at at Oshkosh in 1996. The one I coveted had a sliding canopy (beautiful plane, but I can't remember the builder's name). So I set out to one day build one of my own).

It was a true labor of love building it go. Flew like a dream, but after 11 years it needed a new panel and some other upgrades, so I let it go for about $40k less than what it cost me to build. (2nd engine IO-320). If Vans would develop a pre-punched version i think it would revitalize the -4 and be a best seller.

If your -4 is well built it should bring $50k or more. People are starting to see the value now in Vans best design. (ymmv)

Last edited:
So my very casual conversation with a prospective buyer, plane was not listed, he had reached out to me through an airport contact because he and his girlfriend just wanted permission to sit in a -4 for the first step in deciding if they were even interested in the model

At that fist meeting I said I'd have to do some research on values but anything under $42 I'd just keep it. Flew them both yesterday and all went well

As soon as I address a brand new fuel leak it sounds like he's offering me cash at $42. Sounds like I might be leaving money on the table at that price.

Need to do some quick research on trade a plane and barnstormers and perhaps here. Anywhere else you all are seeing -4's so I can get a feel for the comps?

Thanks

I bought my airplane for a steal 3 years ago. $15k worth of glass panel and other upgrades later, I wouldn't let it go for less than $55k. I'd list mine for $60k if I were to sell today, just to aim high.

My airplane is around the same hours, O-320, same propeller, but with all glass and and autopilot now. I think you should list for $52k, aim for $50k, and take nothing less than $45k of it HAS to go. Reason being, I'm thinking like a seller.

If I were to buy that airplane, I'd want it for $45-$42k tops, immediately rip the panel out and have $10-$15k in a new panel. It's now got $52-$60k in it, and I might be able to sell it for that with those hours. Maybe a little behind the power curve if it wont sell for $60k... And obviously all dependent on the quality of the build. Even pretty -4's have some secrets.

That might just be me, grateful/ambitious that the market for these airplanes has gone up in the past few years. But I think that's where we are.

My opinion is $42k is a little low. Don't isolate yourself to one prospective buyer. Advertise for $50k or whatever you think its worth and see what kind of interest you get. Lots of planes for sale don't have ADSB yet and yours does. If you don't have any luck your cash buyer will probably still be around because not many decent 4’s come up at $42k. I enjoy watching the market and have for years. I would guess its worth somewhere between $45-50k based on what I have seen. Good luck!

Last edited:
Getting the most for your RV-4

It looks like you have a buyer at a certain price point, but do yourself a favor and get a really good idea if it will sell for $50k based on it being set up just like Van recommended. Light and fun!

Let the excited potential buyer know that you are happy he's interested, but you have to give the market a chance for a bit and that you'll be listing it at $50k. If he offers you close to that, take it...

If someone isn't trying to talk you down you don't have it listed high enough, especially since it isn't even advertised yet. The best ones sell before they are advertised, so you're doing well sharing with the "family."

Next big step is going to be a thorough prebuy examination. Make sure your paperwork (airworthiness, ops limits, log books, data plate) are all 100% sorted out and make it really easy for a buyer's critical A&P performing the prebuy.

If you have questions about squaring away the paperwork and log books I can explain, but its been posted recently here on VAF in detail. You might already be in good shape. Also, check ADs for the engine based on manufacture date and serial number. This is missed all too often.

If you want bang for the buck, finishing that prop yourself by calling the guy mentioned early then touching it up will really make this light/classic RV-4 really shine.

For reference, I sold in the Fall of 2018. My RV-4 had a high time (2100 hrs), but smooth running O-320, Catto 3-blade prop, hot compressions in the low 70s, good boroscope, painted carbon fiber spinner, all new wiring and circuit breakers, I bought a new metal panel, cut and arranged it more like a certified airplane, and had it powder coated.:eek: It didn't have ADS-B out back then. I sold in Pennsylvania, just North of Pittsburgh. I could have probably sold it for more had I waited until the Spring and was more patient. It went for $35k, I didn't break even after putting on the new prop, wiring, Stein Air aluminum vents, dual aviation USB charge ports, braided brake lines to eliminate leaks, going through all the Vans Service Bulletins, and a lot of cleaning. I sure had a lot of fun flying it all over the U.S. though!

Best of luck with the sale. A little elbow grease will bring the highest price and you can be confident advertising if its clean and the paperwork is 100% squared away.

Attachments

• IMG_2220.jpg
    IMG_2220.jpg
    516.9 KB · Views: 163
Last edited:
FlyinTiger’s buyer bought at $35 figuring a $20k overhaul and $2k ADSB for a total of $57k for a steam gauge RV4 which is about right.

Since your engine has 1200hrs subtract $12 from $57 and you get $45k. I figure roughly $1000/100hrs engine time. Gives a ballpark anyway.

Back