What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Apex Battery form?

amaris

Well Known Member
I bought an Apex APX12220 ($32) to use as a placeholder/ 12v supply, etc before I buy the Odyssey P680 when I'm ready to go. It has the exact same measurements online (7.13 x 3) but it won't fit into my battery box. I'm wondering if anyone has experienced that or if my paint on the box might be interfering with the close tolerances.

Have you measured the Apex battery to see what the actual dimensions are?
It is made in China. The specifications are exaggerated. Notice that the
claimed Amp Hours and Cold Cranking Amps far exceed the PC680, and yet the
Apex weighs 1.9 pounds less. Hard to believe.
If the Apex is only a few thousands too big, can the corners be filed or sanded?

Yeah I for doubt the performance of it, but since I may not use it even on the first engine start, definitely not the first flight, I don't care. Not for $32!

The measurements are spot on, 3 x 7.13 (looks a hair over 7 1/8, so I'll call that 7.13)

I'm thinking it might be paint. I used Rustoleum and thinking I may have gone too heavy.

I can tell you that we have 5 airplanes now at our airport that have switched to the APEX battery, several from the Odyssey. Every one of us has had awesome success with the battery. Don't underestimate it.

For $32 I plan to just replace it every year, but so far the battery is 120 hours of flight hours in, and 6 months prior to that doing avionics testing. Still holding very strong.

I can tell you that we have 5 airplanes now at our airport that have switched to the APEX battery, several from the Odyssey. Every one of us has had awesome success with the battery. Don't underestimate it.

For $32 I plan to just replace it every year, but so far the battery is 120 hours of flight hours in, and 6 months prior to that doing avionics testing. Still holding very strong.

Jeff, that's great. Assuming they are using the Van's battery box? Any issues with any fitting?

Yes, they have been very slightly bigger. Some have had minor issue, others none at all. I actually have the earth x box, and it fit by loosening the attach bolt, sliding battery in and retighten. Another owner, put a spacer between box and firewall.

2 others had zero issues.

I bought an Apex APX12220 ($32) to use as a placeholder/ 12v supply, etc before I buy the Odyssey P680 when I'm ready to go. It has the exact same measurements online (7.13 x 3) but it won't fit into my battery box. I'm wondering if anyone has experienced that or if my paint on the box might be interfering with the close tolerances.

When my PC680 died last month I purchased the Apex battery but would not fit my battery box either. Decided not to modify the battery box and bought another PC680.

I second that from a performance standpoint, I have a one in my Exp. SuperCub that replaced an PC680 and it turns the prop faster and has been flawless for the past 8 months. Prop turns as fast as it did when I installed it.
with that said, I don't think I can replace the 2 batteries I have in the RV7 without doing some of modification. Size/fit aside, I can only use the top screw down post like the PC680 has, on the RV and the APEX has an L bracket mount making it difficult to replace the top mount.

Apex Battery

I've been using the Apex battery for about 4 years now. Mine did not fit the Vans battery box. I ordered an earth X box and it fit fine. I replaced the first battery after 2 years just because I needed one for my motorcycle and it is still working. The replacement now has two years on it and I may change it out just for peace of mind and they are so cheap. Other than the size issue I have been very pleased.

Battery box

You might try checking the dimensions of your box. Mine was smaller then spec in some areas, and grater in outhers. So I needed to make several alterations.

Just switched from odyssey pc680 to the apex12220 battery. I am surprised at how much stronger the battery is with less weight.

Back