What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Plane Power 12 Volt 60 Amp - field CB pop

Bart

Well Known Member
I blew the 5 amp field CB coming back into the pattern today. Had zero problems with this system for last 8 years. Brushes look good and in tolerance, no noise spinning the motor, wires look good, 5 AMP CB feels good, event has not repeated itself...anyone else have experience? Do these just **** out after a 8 years or should I be looking at something else?

Does it have "crowbar" OV protection?

Was told that a poor connection in the field switch, specifically the split Cessna rocker switches can cause the field line to pop. Check alternator connections and consider changing the master switch.

Thanks Joel, just spent the last 4 hours checking wires, master, field plug, etc. All the wires and switches seem good. I'll call the plane power folks in the morning. I have a feeling I may have hit the useful life of my unit.

Had this also happen

I also had my 5 amp field circuit breaker for my 60 amp plane power alternator pop once. Discussed this with my A&P/IA and we reset it. It hasn't repeated itself and it's been almost a year. Sometimes xxxx happens for no apparent reason.

If it was me I'd reset it and wait to see if it repeats. If it does, investigate further.

One free reset (even if it is against training, usual, std approach)

The dwg with attached documentation, for AL 12-EI60/B alternator (60 amp) states

If the breaker trips
1. Reset 5 amp circuit breaker and CONTINUE operations
2. If 5 amp breaker trips AGAIN, land as soon as possible and investigate cause

Tech rep at Osh says the electronics are sensitive and they are having more nuisance trips due to quick transients, .... reset breaker

P.s. Documention on Hartzell / plane power states their INTERNALLY regulated alternators have built in crowbar over voltage protection

Ps ps - anyone have a part number for the brushes ?

Back