What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Low tire pressure

houndsfour

I'm not sure if this topic has come up before but I'm always have to put in air in the tires on my 6. They alway seem to lose about 8 to 10 lb. over 2 or 3 weeks time. One suggestion I received was to replace the tubes.
Ok. Do I go with the standard rubber tube or the "advanced materials" (what ever that is) ?
Next question is how do you guys add air to the tires with wheel pants. Really
Tired of having to take the pants off to blow up the tire.
Thanks
Rich
Rv-6 n721ET

Michelin Airstop is one model that works. The difference is huge. I air up once or twice a year.

You can drill a hole in the wheel pant and use an extension to air up. Some people use a plug in the hole. I have a little spring loaded door that I haven't used in many years since getting the Airstop tubes.

Yes the topic has come up many times.

Another vote for Michelin Air Stops. If you use these, you won't have to take the pants off very often -- so, much less of a hassle. The Air Stops are well worth the price. I add air about every 3 or 4 months. You're likely to need to take the pants off every now and then to check the brakes, clean the dirt out, etc. so just check the air at the same time.

Chris

Michelin Airstop is one model that works. The difference is huge. I air up once or twice a year.

You can drill a hole in the wheel pant and use an extension to air up. Some people use a plug in the hole. I have a little spring loaded door that I haven't used in many years since getting the Airstop tubes.

Yes the topic has come up many times.

Ditto what Larry and Chris said .... Monster retreads and Michelin Airstop tubes. I stopped putting air in my tires every two weeks since the change over. Decided against the air door you are considering because I take the pants off twice a year to check the brakes, etc and fill the tires if needed.

The first couple of sets of Airstops I had were awesome. Very little leakage.

In the last couple of years, I've been disappointed with the performance of new Airstop tubes. I'm having to top 'em off like they are the old style tubes. Pretty disappointing given the price..

airstops

I had the same problem till I put in Michelin airstops. They are expensive but they "hold air" cant say the same of the tubes vans sends with the kit.

....and for those that might see the "Leak-Guard" (or something like that) for a couple bucks less than the Michelins - they are NOT the same! If you buy the Michelins, as everyone else has said, access to the filler tube is inconsequential, because you'll do it very rarely. I have tied myself and can take the front of a wheel pant off in less than two minutes.

Ordered

Thanks for the info on the Michelin "Airstop" tubes. I just placed an order for 2 with Desser Tire. As for wheel pants, I just installed the "new" (to me anyway) style pants on my 6. IMHO the original pants were easier to work with but don't look as good.
Thanks again
Rich

Put some saliva on the valve stem insides to see if you are leaking air there. If so, replacing the little part inside (I forget the name...core?) or tightening the one there now may help.

Back