What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Comparison - RV-7 vs BD5

DakotaHawk

Well Known Member
I had an interesting opportunity this week to form up with my friend David Mischke and his new BD5 for about an hour of flying. This is David's second BD5 - his first had the modified thicker airfoil which slows the stall down to about 75mph. This one has the original airfoil - stalls at about 85mph.

23513_1379425690282_1371100627_1084063_1929630_n.jpg

I was flying over Skagit/Bayview KBVS just to see who was at their hangar, when I heard David come up on CTAF announcing departure on RWY 28. We formed up in the air and flew out over the San Juan Islands.

Now, just for a little background... I only have about 30 hours on my RV-7. Since I'm fairly new at this high performance stuff, I'm still sneaking up on some of the performance issues. I've been flying my other plane at 85 mph for the past 10 years, so going fast is still, well, fast!

So as we head out over the San Juan's at about 140 mph, David says this is too slow for his BD5 and "can we bump it up a little". Well, "a little" turns into 190 mph! The IO-360 is purring and the islands pass by quickly under us. We flip over to the Islands CTAF. There is at least one airport, runway, or strip on just about every island in the San Juans. No Bridges. The only way to get here is by Ferry or airplane. With so many runways within such a small area, every airport uses the same frequency to promote better communications in a busy airspace environment.

We fly over Sammish Island, Guemes, East Sound (Orcas), Friday Harbor, Lopez, Center, Decateur, and several smaller islands, we headed back inland over Anacortes. A stop at Skagit/Bayview to make an adjust on David's aileron, and then we departed for a flight up the Skagit River valley.

As we passed Concrete (3W5), we saw light rain in the Darrington valley and decided to climb above the rain. We started at 2500' and climbed to 9500 to get on top of the clouds. A quick run using GPS for navigation (there's no landmarks up there!) to Arlington, where we found a hole and dropped back down into the muck.

We landed at Arlington (my home airport) to unwind a little bit, and after swapping tales about our escapades, David departed for home.

So here's the comparison---

Take off roll. RV-7 takes off NOW! OK, well, maybe there's 750' take off roll. The tail is flying after about 400', tires off the ground at 750', and then pull back on the stick for a climb at 100mph gives 2200fpm climb at sea level / 50*F. The BD5 has a pusher/Kawasaki (edit - Yamaha Nytro - not a Kawasaki)snomobile engine that winds up to 8500 RPM and a 2:1 reduction to the wood prop. The prop is only about 36" (edit - it's really 48"!), and has a huge amount of pitch so the take off roll starts slowly and uses about 2500' of runway. (Remember the stall at 85mph!) At about the time the BD5 lifts off, the prop is finally starting to bite and the little rocket begins to accelerate fast. Climb out on the BD5 is about 2000fpm initially, but the prop can't keep up, and sustained climbs are about 1200 - 1500 fpm.

Cruise. The BD5 is tiny! It's empty weight is about 550#. There isn't much room for anything other than the pilot and the engine. David says that he doesn't cruise at less than about 160mph minimum. 180mph is even better. He says that he feels like he's about to fall out of the sky at 140mph. At 190mph he's burning about 5.5 gph - My IO-360 was going through about 11.5gph. Because of the size and weight of the BD5, it's twitchy. It has to be flown 110% of the time. Every time we had to do a freq change, I scooted out away from David. As soon as he looked down at his panel to make freq changes, the BD5 was all over the sky! Partly, this was due to a heavy wing that David is still making adjustments to fix.

Aerobatic flight. David says that the BD5 is capable of a full range of loops and rolls. I didn't think to ask about stall/spin characteristics.

Landing. This is the weakest link in the BD5 story. David flies the pattern at about 110mph (edit - 125 - 130mph), and comes over the fence at about 100mph. Just like the RVs, the BD5 is so aerodynamically clean that it doesn't slow down very easily. The cruise prop doesn't provide any braking at all! So touchdown at about 90 mph and roll-out takes 2500 - 3000 feet of runway! This is compared to the RV-7 - over the fence at 85 mph, touchdown at ~65 mph, and less than 1000 feet of roll-out.

Due to the take-off and landing roll, the BD5 has to be very particular about the runway lengths it can fly into. If there isn't 5000' available, the pucker factor goes way up!

So, long story short, I'd rather fly my RV-7!:D

Last edited:
Scott,
Nice write-up. My vote goes to your RV-7 for sure!
It reminds me of the time in my life when I was finishing-up my college career and the BD-5 caught my eye. I think I may have seen something in a Popular Mechanics about it. I sent off for the information kit and drooled over it for some while. All I can say is "Thank God" I didn't have the money at the time to pursue building one.

Yeah, but you can't put a jet engine on an RV7.

Yeah - and 10,000 people can't get their deposits back on the BD-5 kits that were never delivered!:rolleyes:

Great write-up - I have always wondered if there were really any BD-5's flying around, and to get a flight evaluation is a treat. Yup, I wanted one really bad before I had any money....

BD-5 orders

About half USAF UPT class 74-01 starting at Moody AFB in Aug 23, 1972 had one on order including me!

Flying to OshKosh

David is planning on flying his BD5 to Oshkosh this year. He will also have it at NWEAA (Arlington EAA Flyin).

One of my neighbors found and completed an original BD-5 kit.

A couple of impressions from a casual observer:
* That thing is SMALL!
* That thing is FAST! (He flew over the neighborhood a few times.)
* It looked to be well engineered
* His kit came with a trailer. Pull the wings off, slide them in place, and then wench the fuselage up the ramp and secure it.

He talked about how fast it was on final and that he didn?t fell good going into any runway with less than 5,000 feet.

Alas, he sold it and bought a boat so his family can be together on weekends.

It is good to see another on flying.

They found one out here in the recycle center at the dumps........ It's now used as a tetrahedron.

I've been trying to find an old kit for years to build and use as a wind "T" at Short Stop.
Unfortunately every one I find has an owner that thinks it's worth much more than I do!

Corrections by the owner of the BD5

Received this email from David - guess I missed on some of the facts...

Only a couple of things to correct. The engine is a Yamaha Nytro. The prop is 48" dia. And I actually fly the pattern at 125 to 130. I wish I could be down to 110 over the numbers. When I get that, I will be comfortable with 3000; of runway.

He is a very brave man ! Dont think I would have the courage to fly a BD with the numbers he mentions. Just imagine a engine out .............

Scott

I hope he doesn't try a spin with it!! It could be his last if he does. I am sure he knows this though.

Not all BDs are alike!!!!

whoa now... BD-5 maybe but not all BD's! The BD-4 is a great plane with several hundred very nice examples flying. The BD-4 is much more comparable to an RV7 than a BD5. My BD-4 with a O-360 would climb out at 1900lbs GW at about 1900FPM @ SL. Cruise about 185mph, carry 60 Gals, 4 seats (seats in back were not very large tho) and luggage. Could be very tricky in a crosswind as it had ENORMOUS dihedral effect due to large flat sides. The slightest sideslip resulted in large AOB excursions. I demo'd 60 deg AOB turns left and right using 1.5 inches of rudder input only. The all flying stab had F-18 like control power and if I wanted could do a loop with a quick pull on the trim wheel alone (but never did it). T/0 was not as good as most RVs but on a good day could be airborne in about 1200 ft. Rollout on landing was pretty bad, but that was mostly due to undersized brakes usually 2000 ft was min unless I was ok with smoking my brakes. Limit load is +-6g. It's a solid plane...just didn't want all BD's getting thrown under the bus! :) Deene, feel free to chime in!

whoa now... BD-5 maybe but not all BD's! The BD-4 is a great plane...just didn't want all BD's getting thrown under the bus!

Well yeah, but... nobody was ripping on the -4, just making comments on the -5. Calm down, it's gonna be okay...

Heck, an awful lot of RV'ers are "BD-1" refugees.....that's what turned into the Yankee, Traveler, Cheetah, Tiger.....GREAT airplanes!

super BD5

I flew into a private strip of a very innovative builder back in the late 80's scrounging parts for an RV4 I was building. The builder told me of a BD 5 he built and flew only one time. He put a souped up 300 hp Wankel engine in it. He hired a test pilot to fly it. Once the test pilot proved the plane out. The builder decided to fly it. He described the accelleration in flight as scarry. After his one flight, the builder grounded the plane, and donated it to a museum. I've always had a facination with the BD5's. I've heard of more different types of engine installations in the BD5 than any other type of aircraft. I even visited a builder installing a turbo prop (he's no longer with us) in his BD5. As I understand it, Burt Ruttan actually did some of the test flying in the original BD5.

Steve Barnes " The Builders Coach"

Burt

used to work for Jim Bede. Way back.

I flew into a private strip of a very innovative builder back in the late 80's scrounging parts for an RV4 I was building. The builder told me of a BD 5 he built and flew only one time. He put a souped up 300 hp Wankel engine in it. He hired a test pilot to fly it. Once the test pilot proved the plane out. The builder decided to fly it. He described the accelleration in flight as scarry. After his one flight, the builder grounded the plane, and donated it to a museum. I've always had a facination with the BD5's. I've heard of more different types of engine installations in the BD5 than any other type of aircraft. I even visited a builder installing a turbo prop (he's no longer with us) in his BD5. As I understand it, Burt Ruttan actually did some of the test flying in the original BD5.

Steve Barnes " The Builders Coach"

Thanks for the discussion. It brought back some memories.

When I was in college I had a job building a BD-5 for a local fellow. Great college job for an aerospace engineering major. We never got an engine (Bede was way behind on most major parts for the kit) and I graduated and left it behind.

As a kit, it was pretty old-school. It was a materials kit with instructions and templates and plans. You'd have to cut out the parts, bend them to shape and drill and rivet them together. The fuselage bulkheads and wing ribs were pref-formed, I think, but the tail ribs and most of the other parts were up to the builder. Things like angles and channels were bent, but needed cutting to length and trimming and that sort of thing.

The riveted joints were assembled using Pro-Seal and Avex blind rivets.

The owner and some buddies and myself took a trip down to the Bede factory to decide if some of us should put deposits on production BD-5s. We flew down in a Bonanza. The Bede folks wouldn't let any of us fly a BD-5, but the Bonanza owner and I went up for a local flight and one of the BD-5s came up and formed up on us. Seemed to fly okay, and that was my only experience with a flying one, as a passenger in another airplane.

That experience, my degree and other experience (USAF helicopter mechanic) made it pretty easy to get an engineering job upon graduation.

Long time ago, retired now.

David

I tried one for size...

...once at a air museum somewhere I can't recall (possibly McMinnville Evergreen) and discovered I'd need to cut a hole in the top of the canopy to poke my neck through!

As a young teen, I was fascinated by BD's, especially the 5. Built a BD-6 model from plans, but never imagined I'd end up building my own real aircraft! (not a BD, though!)

I'd love to build a BD-5 though, but perhaps not to fly one.

There was a RAAF BD-5 squadron based at RAAF Serpentine a while back, although one of them came to grief after an engine failure.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5LumgkzFqY4

BD-5 in NASM Udvar-Hazy

I toured the National Air and Space Museum Udvar-Hazy center on Saturday with my local EAA Chapter. They have a BD-5 ... but no RV! What's up with that? The most successful kitplane in history with 6670 RVs completed and they don't have one in the NASM?

Scott,

Please tell David his bird is beautiful and it looks like he is a real craftsman. Also pass along that he will quickly get used to the higher pattern speeds. After a short while they will seem normal and he'll lose that fear of falling out of the sky.

As a 2nd Lieutenant I used to turn base at 195 knots and come down final at 170 knots. It only looked fast for a short while. The aircraft (F-84F) was so underpowered even two mile long runways were too short for a full fuel load in the summer. When wise guys would ask me how much runway I needed to get the old Hog off the ground, I would always reply, "How much runway you got?"

Jim

Hmmmmmm;

As a kit, it was pretty old-school. It was a materials kit with instructions and templates and plans. You'd have to cut out the parts, bend them to shape and drill and rivet them together. The fuselage bulkheads and wing ribs were pref-formed, I think, but the tail ribs and most of the other parts were up to the builder. Things like angles and channels were bent, but needed cutting to length and trimming and that sort of thing.

Except for the tail ribs, You just described my RV-6 kit!

They have a BD-5 ... but no RV! What's up with that? The most successful kitplane in history with 6670 RVs completed and they don't have one in the NASM?

Weird huh? I'm guessing it's because all the RV's are still out flying, where they should be! I think the only two museum piece RV's I've seen are the RV-3 and -4 prototypes at Oshkosh, which seems fitting.

I sat in a BD-5 at an air museum in San Diego... holy cow was that thing a tight fit. Could barely get my shoulders between the canopy rails, and I'm not that big a guy.

Last edited:
No RV in the NASM...and tribute to Bill Brock

I toured the National Air and Space Museum Udvar-Hazy center on Saturday with my local EAA Chapter. They have a BD-5 ... but no RV! What's up with that? The most successful kitplane in history with 6670 RVs completed and they don't have one in the NASM?

Maybe that's because most RV's are still flying! And most BD-5's...well, make good museum exhibits.

Seriously, the first time I realized an individual could actually BUILD his own airplane was when a fellow engineer (Bill Brock) showed me his BD-5 project in his apartment in Charlotte, NC way back in 1974. He smelled a rat when he couldn't get an engine from Bede (engine supplier in Europe was having problems) so he sold his partially completed BD-5. He went on to become a Delta Captain. Now he's gone west due to cancer. My unfulfilled dream was to get my RV flying and let him fly it. I miss you, Bill.

Last edited:
Here is a good BD-5J video.

Interesting in that they say he bailed out of it twice. That must be an editing error.

Quick trip in the way-back machine.....

Front and back cover of an original brochure. Inside it says the total advertised price is $2100 complete with a Kiekhaefer 40hp engine :rolleyes:

Dan, original brochure, ??

IIRC, the original design was a "V" tail. Or did they change it prior to printing the brochure??

Whichever, that sure is a novel piece of aviation history.

Nice to see that the I wasn't the only one the the BD5 bug bit. I am glad that I didn't have the money to invest in the kit back then. By the time I was ready to build, my likes had changed to the Long EZE. Built that one instead. Never thought the BD5 after that. Now if I can only get my 7A finished and in the air, I will be a happy man again

Leo Loudenslager

The only BD-5 I saw flying was the BD-5J (jet) which was flown by the great aerobatic pilot Leo Loudenslager at an airshow in Smyrna, Tennessee in the early '80's. I believe it was called the Bud Lite Jet. It was a sad day when he was hit by a motorist who crossed the white line and impacted his motorcycle head-on. Anybody know what happened to that BD-5J? Now that would make a good museum piece!

Destroyed

Anybody know what happened to that BD-5J? Now that would make a good museum piece!

According to wikipedia:
Bob Bishop had purchased 20 BD-5J kits as soon as they had appeared, and many of the flying examples started life in this batch of twenty. Versions from the original batch became a popular airshow fixture. Throughout the 1980s and until 1991, Coors flew two of them as the "Silver Bullets." Budweiser also had a BD-5J called the "Bud Light Jet", but that contract has long expired and the aircraft was lost as a result of an engine compartment fire from which Bob Bishop ejected successfully. The aircraft also appeared in the opening sequence of the James Bond film, Octopussy.[1]

Last edited:
iirc one bd-5j "bud" is displayed at the anheuser busch factory tour in st.louis, mo. and also iirc with the name loudenslager printed on it.

Dan, original brochure, ?? IIRC, the original design was a "V" tail. Or did they change it prior to printing the brochure?? Whichever, that sure is a novel piece of aviation history.

There's a decent Wiki article available, and it says the original (N500BD) was indeed a V-tail.....and had stability problems. The redesign got both a new tail and a new fuselage structure. Here's a paragraph which seems to nicely date my brochure:

The first example of the new fuselage arrived in March 1972, and was fitted with a new Kiekhaefer Aeromarine engine Bede had seen at the Oshkosh Airshow in 1971. Finished as N501BD, numerous small delays prevented it from flying until 11 July 1972. These flights demonstrated continued problems with the tail design, which was again redesigned, losing the sweep and becoming much more conventional.[8]

Note the radical tail sweep in the brochure's top view.

Taken just last night. A new project? Yeah, but not for me. This is a BD-5B that some friends just acquired. It is very complete. It has a BMW turbo charged motorcycle engine in it. It is VERY tight in there :).

scott_bd5-1.jpg

scott_bd5-2.jpg

Cool Scott! I've seen BD-5's at Arlington but never got to sit in one.

I've always really like them for some reason, although I don't think I'd have the cahunas to ever fly one.

There's got to be a lot of unfinished kits around. I remember even seeing part of one in Clover Parks A&P hangar at PLU.

Maybe someone needs to mount a couple of those newer turbines (like on the Sonex Jet) on each side of one. Ya know kind of like an MD-80.:D

Like this...

jetbd5.jpg

Last edited:
Always loved those.

I have always been intrigued by the BD-5. BD Micro sales a pre-drilled kit. They also have the Solar Turbines. I thought it would be a great little commuter plane. Of course the wife thinks any plane that we have should be a two-seater. There will always be a place in my heart for the 5.

http://bd-micro.com/

Back