What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

External Power

7pilot

Well Known Member
I am interested in setting up external power to allow turning on avionics without draining my battery while I am sitting in my hangar. Although I haven't drawn it out yet, it seems like this will be fairly simple, but wondering if someone else has done this and how you did it.

Thanks,

Stewart

I have an auxiliary power plug (cigarette lighter type) that is hot all the time. I keep a battery maintainer plugged in. This also keeps everything "up" when working on electronics.

I decided that I wanted a "full-up" external power capability (such that I can use power from a start-cart if my main battery is weak), so I went with the Piper-style plug mounted on the belly (next to the aft-mounted battery in my -8) and wired it up per bob Knuckoll's design. Works great, and gives me great peace of mind when I operate up in the cold north!

Paul

Like Mel I've got an cigarette lighter socket that's always on so I can reverse feed 12V back onto the main battery bus.

I've then converted a power supply from an old PC (http://www.wikihow.com/Convert-a-Computer-ATX-Power-Supply-to-a-Lab-Power-Supply) which gives me a 12V feed.

No prizes for guessing what the plan is, there certainly won't be enough grunt to start off, but it should save the main batteries from those hours spent hangar flying :)

I'm hoping to test it this weekend....

Last edited:
Going both ways...

Paul, I like the idea of having the external location to start from. I have Bob's book, I think I will go that way as well for the ability to start in a cold climate. It will come in handy that first time you can't start! I didn't even think about starting out looking there.

I don't have an auxiliary plug either though and have already come up with a few times I'd like to have one available, so it looks like this will give me the hangar power I need too.

Thanks for the responses!

I moved my battery to behind the luggage bulkhead, and installed a small float charger next to the battery. On the belly I put a recessed 110V fitting (male) into which I can plug an extension cord. To keep the drag from this fitting down (and keep any dirt out), I just put a stainless friction plug (available at any hardware store for the "extra" holes in stainless sinks) in the hole whenever I fly. I riveted on a small piece of angle Al to act as a handle to remove the plug. This arrangement won't provide continuous power to hangar fly for hours at a time, but keeps the battery topped up nicely.

I'm thinking I may also wire in a small 110V silicone heater pad on the battery box to help with cold weather starts.

greg

CONFUSED

I am in the process of trying to install an external power outlet per Bob Knuckoll's design. He suggests purchasing 2 diodes from Radio Shack, 276-1144;
(1N5402). I went to Radio Shack and the 276-1144 is a (1N5403); The number (1N5402) has the number 276-1143. My question is which one is it???
Hope someone can help me. Thanks
Phil

For models with the battery forward of the firewall like the -7(A), there is a bit of an issue installing the Nucolls design since you wouldnt want the plug attached to the cowl. One possibility might be to attach it to the engine mount somehow and have it accessible via the oil door.

erich

Confused

I have an 8A with a battery behind the baggage compartment. I will be doing the same installation that Paul Dye did. I only need to know which diode to use. Thank for the reply.
Phil

I've always used the external power receptacle from Spruce:

http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/elpages/extpowerrect.php

and the associated power plug:

http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/elpages/plugnjump.php

I always carry the power plug with me to out locations (Bahamas, or airports that are closed in the evening), as this plug allows you to jump your airplane from a car.
When in the hangar and running the avionics, I put the plug in and attach it to a 35 amp DC supply.

It's all very convenient. In the 7 I installed it under the instrument panel, and in the 10 I put it in the back by the baggage bulkhead with a little cover cam-loc'd on.

Vic

Back