What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Heads up Dynon Skyview users

Jrskygod

Well Known Member
As I am sure some of you Dynon Skyview users with antennas manufactured prior to 2012 have found out there will possibly be problem with your autopilot functioning properly.

This came to my attention a few weeks ago when making some approaches fully coupled and navigation being supplied from my Avidyne 440. From the FAF inbound the autopilot steered to the left and as I was VMC I just observed and it was off by two dots by the time I got to the MAP. I was able to duplicate the same behavior at two other airports. Enroute it worked just fine with no issues.

After consulting with Dynon I was informed that the GPS antennas manufactured prior to 2012 had a chip that was affected by the satellite date issue that took place in April. Dynon sent me a software patch and after loading it into the system all is well. Apparently the Skyview system uses its own antenna system for navigation as well that provided by the certified navigator and when there is a discrepancy strange things can happen without a warning prompt.

If you are flying IFR approaches with a Dynon antenna manufactured prior to 2012 you might get the patch before you have an issue and spend a bunch of time trying to figure out if you have a navigator or autopilot problem.

Also this same issue affected my D1 backup mini EFIS and I had to upgrade that antenna as well.

Dynon Firmware 15.3.5 and 15.4.4

The SkyView firmware 15.3.5 fixed the GPS 250 date/time bug issue for the original GPS 250 with the old chip.

In firmware update 15.4.4, there is also a update to the GPS 2020 Receiver. The update is to fix a bug in the reported NACv value over to the transponder for ADS-B out. The GPS-2020 was previously sending an incorrect value which caused some of the FAA ADS-B report (PAPR) to flag it in yellow. You will need to update the GPS 2020 Receiver if you have anything less that version 1.11 on the receiver.

If anyone who has a copy of 15.4.4 and want to know how to update the GPS 2020 within SkyView, email me and I will send you the direction that I wrote up after I figured how to do it. This is how to update the GPS 2020 receiver only which fixes a glitch with the ADSB report, and has nothing to do with the time problems with the GPS 250. The GPS 250 is just needs a bug fix that was fixed in 15.3.5 and higher. My directions also tell you how to check the GPS 2020 version number. There is a bunch of pictures in it, so at this point in time, it will just be easier to email my directions.

Send the request to [email protected] and I will send it to you.

Brian

How to tell if you need to update the Dynon GPS 2020

You can find the version number of your Dynon GPS 2020 by going to the serial port 5 setup, SETUP MENU> SYSTEM SETUP> SERIAL PORT 5 SETUP>NAVIGATION DATA. Click on Navigation Data to open the file and check the version number. It is almost all the way at the bottom. The example below show Version 1.08.

33xwpjn.jpg

You will need to update it to version 1.11, which is the current version in new GPS 2020's being shipped.

This is only for GPS 2020. GPS 250 does not have a version number.

I will post how to update the firmware to the GPS 2020 within the next few days if anyone is interested.

Brian

Last edited:
On my black box data file, i am showing no GPS date/time. Also, my system time is off by about 10 minutes. Is this the same issue? I have a GPS 250.

GPS 250 Date/Time fix

Yes, that is the main problem with the earlier GPS 250 receivers. You lost the date and time last month. SkyView firmware 15.3.5 will fix the GPS 250 date/time problem by just updating the SkyView firmware. 15.4.4 will also fix it, but Dynon has not finished the manuals for 15.4.4 yet, which one of the reason they have not released it yet. I think they were waiting to test the SkyView with the new GPS 175/GNX 375 so they can add that info and settings in the new install manual.

In 15.4.4, there is also an update to the GPS 2020 receiver firmware, see my previous posts above, but it does not update the GPS 250 firmware. It fixes the GPS 250 with a bug fix in the SkyView firmware only.

So download and install 15.3.5 from the Dynon's website, or if you want to install 15.4.4, you can use the above link in the second post, but remember there is no install manual and pilot's guide for 15.4.4 yet. Within the next few days after I get home, I will post how to update the GPS 2020 receiver to the new firmware version 1.11 for those who need to, so check back around Thursday for my updated post.

Brian

Last edited:
If you are flying IFR approaches with a Dynon antenna manufactured prior to 2012 you might get the patch before you have an issue and spend a bunch of time trying to figure out if you have a navigator or autopilot problem.

Also this same issue affected my D1 backup mini EFIS and I had to upgrade that antenna as well.

This was covered on the Dynon forum, which is down until they replace it with the new system but the above statement doesn't sound right. The Dynon GPS250 cannot be used on an IFR approach. I'd suspect something was not properly configured with respect to the GPS source.

I must have just missed that update. I updated my skyview just a few weeks ago. I made the mistake of doing it right before first flight. The update wiped out some of my EMS sensor mapping, so I had to spend the morning redoing my mapping and ranges, I was not happy.

AFS?

Hmmm..... Is there a firmware update for AFS users of the GPS250 and 2020 units? I have one of each.

Ed Holyoke

This was covered on the Dynon forum, which is down until they replace it with the new system but the above statement doesn't sound right. The Dynon GPS250 cannot be used on an IFR approach. I'd suspect something was not properly configured with respect to the GPS source.

In fact, at least speaking of the "uncertified" world of RVs and Dynons, you can't use a Dynon Skyview as the primary instrument for an approach, regardless of antenna. It's not a "certified navigator"...you'll need a 430/530 or 650/whatever or the like.

Is this date/time issue for the Skyview only or would it affect the D-180 also?
IIRC it affects the GPS-250 module regardless of what it is connected to. Contact DYNON customer support and they can help you with this. They were excellent to work with when I called.

:cool:

In fact, at least speaking of the "uncertified" world of RVs and Dynons, you can't use a Dynon Skyview as the primary instrument for an approach, regardless of antenna. It's not a "certified navigator"...you'll need a 430/530 or 650/whatever or the like.

It certainly can be used for approach, when tied to a certified navigator, which was my point. Even with a certified navigator, the GPS-250 cannot be used as a nav source.

Hmmm..... Is there a firmware update for AFS users of the GPS250 and 2020 units? I have one of each.

Ed Holyoke

Ed,

The 2020 antenna is not affected. Some or all of the older 250 antennas are in need of the update firmware.

IIRC it affects the GPS-250 module regardless of what it is connected to. Contact DYNON customer support and they can help you with this. They were excellent to work with when I called.

:cool:

Nice ! Just found out I don't have that GPS module, I use the 496 to supply a signal to my D-180. One less thing to worry about for now.

It certainly can be used for approach, when tied to a certified navigator, which was my point. Even with a certified navigator, the GPS-250 cannot be used as a nav source.

I doubt the FAA would be happy to know that the dynon system is throwing out the certified navigators input and instead replacing it with data from an un-certified navigation source on approaches.

Larry

I doubt the FAA would be happy to know that the dynon system is throwing out the certified navigators input and instead replacing it with data from an un-certified navigation source on approaches.

Larry

That is not what is happening. When the Dynon system boots up it uses it's own GPS to set the magnetic variation and with the rollover date issue the variation can be off significantly. When I checked my personal plane it was using a magnetic variance of 3 degrees when it should have been 15. This was just causing some strange things to happen, particularly on approaches with certified navigators.

That is not what is happening. When the Dynon system boots up it uses it's own GPS to set the magnetic variation and with the rollover date issue the variation can be off significantly. When I checked my personal plane it was using a magnetic variance of 3 degrees when it should have been 15. This was just causing some strange things to happen, particularly on approaches with certified navigators.

Thanks for the clarification. That makes more sense.

Ed,

The 2020 antenna is not affected. Some or all of the older 250 antennas are in need of the update firmware.

So....I've got an older 250 and my ADS-B report is showing an unnaturally high
NIC and NACv value and flagged RED.

Category NIC NACp NACv SIL SDA
% Fail 2.74% 0.00% 0.00% 0.20% 0.20%
Max dT 00:01:21 00:00:00 00:00:00 00:00:11 00:00:11
MCF 79 0 0 2 2

Category NIC NACp NACv SIL SDA
Avg 8.8 8.9 4.0 3.0 2.0
Min 0 8 3 0 0
Max 10 9 4 3 2

So.... is there any way to update the firmware on the 250 and the 2020 in Advanced Flight Systems 5000 series?

Ed Holyoke

Last edited:
I have a skyview touch system that is fed by a Garmin gtn650. I flew two different approaches this morning, a vor/dme and a rnav and the AP kept me to the left of the approach course on both. I killed the ap and centered the needles manually and then re-engaged the ap and it took me back to the left.

Is this caused by this same issue?

I have a skyview touch system that is fed by a Garmin gtn650. I flew two different approaches this morning, a vor/dme and a rnav and the AP kept me to the left of the approach course on both. I killed the ap and centered the needles manually and then re-engaged the ap and it took me back to the left.

Is this caused by this same issue?

It is possible, IF you have an older GPS 250. I have corrected this behavior for several people with the software update to the SkyView system. 15.4.7 is available now for download and has the rollover date fix.

There are actually 2 completely separate issues being discussed in this thread, so just to be clear. Early 250's had the rollover date issue that is corrected with SkyView software version 15.4.7.

Issue 2 is the GPS 2020 which reports the erroneous NACv value of 4.0 and causes it to be flagged yellow in the PAPR report. SkyView software version 15.4.7 also has a firmware update for the GPS 2020 itself which is done similarly to the transponder and adsb module updates that need to be initiated manually once the SkyView software has been installed.

Here are the links to both of the service bulletins:
GPS 2020 Bulletin
GPS 250 Bulletin

Feel free to call me on Monday if you have questions

Back