What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

pride & joy

HansLab

Well Known Member
Just sharing. This was flight #2, so you' ll understand.
99% done, about 99% to go..;-)

Attachments

• vliegend.jpg
    vliegend.jpg
    391.7 KB · Views: 460
I built a WAR FW-190 and painted it in the “Green Hearts” geschwader colors. The project took me 8 years. When the picture published in Kitplanes some guy wrote to me and started nitpicking the accuracy. I told him that when he builds an airplane he can paint any way he wants.

That's considered Dutch Art. Probably some Modernistic artistic form, it ain't no van Gogh.

Google for Piet Mondriaan

Piet Mondriaan Wiki

sbcoude-nl-bezienswaardig-piet-mondriaan.jpg

Last edited:
Paint Job

I remember the RV9 Stein built and saw @ KOSH Airventure several years ago.
Painted in the 4 primary colors in squares...His Dad was sitting in a lawn chair several yards from the plane listening to peoples comments about the paint.
I said "I like the originality of the builder"...:):)

scheme

The story behind the paint scheme is quite simple:
being designed and cut CAD/CAM all these rivet lines are so darn straight - I'd never ever gt them so straight. I just love those straight rivet lines.
Painting however would take away a fair bunch of that experience, I thought.
So, I was looking for a paint scheme that would let as much aluminum bare (polished of course) as possible, yet covers all non-aluminum.
One day I was in the Modriaan Museum where someone said how funny it was that this painter used so much room for so little paint. The idea was born.
Bought myself a laser spirit level and some black tape, and just rolled the blocks on. The results are better than I expected. Although one cannot argue about taste, of course.

Attachments

• voor de vertrekhal.jpg
    voor de vertrekhal.jpg
    619.8 KB · Views: 162
Perhaps a suggestion… bare aluminum is very labor intensive to keep bright polish and shiny. You could easily cover the aluminum in vinyl wrap with minimal expense. Silver and chrome colors are available, and once installed, permit very easy cleaning and zero maintenance. I used 3M 1080 silver on bare aluminum and love it...
-

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-05-10 at 3.55.44 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2021-05-10 at 3.55.44 PM.jpg
    187.7 KB · Views: 131
  • Screen Shot 2021-05-10 at 3.53.06 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2021-05-10 at 3.53.06 PM.jpg
    256.9 KB · Views: 119
  • Screen Shot 2021-05-10 at 3.50.57 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-05-10 at 3.50.57 PM.png
    3.1 MB · Views: 135
Jim,

Out of curiosity: how do the seams look? Do you overlap vinyl or use butt joints between vinyl sheets?

I’m not considering changing my paint, but I no nothing about the vinyl process and would love to gain some knowledge on it.

Rich

In my case I overlapped the seams. Airplane is made from aluminum sheets that already overlap, so appearance is same.

Back