What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Filling gap in bottom rudder fairing

Hey folks, been putting in what seems like dozens of hours on the fiberglass work <g> and had a question. Does anybody know why Van's doesn't call for you to fill the gap in the bottom rudder fairing with glass cloth like you do with the v-stab and h-stab tips? Is it to allow for running wire to the tail strobe? Has anyone done this anyway? Seems like a big gap to leave open...

No need & yes easiest way to route wiring is through the fairing.
Don't forget to drill a small drain hole in fairing at lowest point.

No need & yes easiest way to route wiring is through the fairing.
Don't forget to drill a small drain hole in fairing at lowest point.

Thanks, Ralph. I think I have seen pix of -10's where the gap was filled for esthetic purposes but clearly not necessary (and, yep, already drilled the drain hole).

I was worried about the wiring connection in the event I had to remove the rudder. At first I thought about adding a standard Molex connector inside the empennage and enlarging the hole in the aft bulkhead so I could disconnect it and poke it through. But now thinking of using a sealed Molex (like these) hanging on the outside of the bulkhead and and securing it inside the fairing. Any thoughts here?

Back