What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

FREE Bar-B-Que - June 12- Springfield, MO

FulltronAviation

Custom RV painting by Fulltron
Advertiser
Our local pilots group, Hillbilly Squadron, is hosting a FREE Bar-B-Que at Springfield Downtown Airport (3DW) in Springfield, MO on June 12. Food will be served from 5-7pm. On the menu is Smoked Tri-Tip & Pulled Pork, Fried Green Beans, Twice Baked Potato Salad, Wild Rice & Homemade Ice-Cream for desert. We're in SW Missouri, which is in the very central part of the U.S. Come and join us. We have full information at www.HillbillySquadron.com If any changes or updates are made due to weather or anything else the webpage will be updated immediately. We're building our own 2500' grass strip, and when that is done we'll be having cookouts, camping, STOL and spot landing competitions and Possum Drops. Gonna be lots of fun stuff happening in the mid-west. We have several RV's at our local airport and would love to see lots of RV's come and join in our fun times.

Free BBQ

Ok, that sounds great...But what the heck is a Possum drop? Does PETA know about this? :eek: Are the Possums going to have parachutes? Or when it’s all said and done, will the Possums to be BBQ’ed afterwards... That could determine your final numbers!!! :cool:

Ok, that sounds great...But what the heck is a Possum drop? Does PETA know about this? :eek: Are the Possums going to have parachutes? Or when it’s all said and done, will the Possums to be BBQ’ed afterwards... That could determine your final numbers!!! :cool:

It is SW Missouri

Boomer

Well... no parts of the possums will go to waste.

PETA (People Eating Tasty Animals) will be in-charge of the BBQ. Ya ain't seen nothing yet. When we do the possum-drop the target will be a Weber grill. Possum's are trained to hit the Weber grill without 'chutes. And may the best Possum win! And if there's a shortage of possums for dinner, our backup plan is to patrol the runway for "prop-strikes". The only problem with planning on prop-strikes for dinner is you never know if you're gonna have enough to feed everybody. Ya don't really have to worry about cooking them, because BBQ sauce masks the flavor anyway.

If we run out of possums and prop-strikes, out backup plan is to cook tri-tip, pulled pork and maybe ribs.

When our private field is done we're gonna have STOL and spot landing contests. We're thinking about having a separate catagory just for RV's if there's enough interest. I landed my RV-14 three times on the existing 1300' strip, but it's being lengthened to 2500' before we have any contests. It'll be the top of a hill with zero obstructions on either end. Gonna be lots of fun. Tell all the rv'ers in the mid-west about it. Dan

Sounds like a fun day trip from Texas. I’ll put it on the calendar.. Fingers crossed for good weather and I’ll try to remember my overalls, if a non-member is allowed to wear them! :)

Last edited:
Watch www.HillbillySquadron.com for updates

If anything changes, like weather, etc we will immediately update www.HillbillySquadron.com so you can check before departing. Tell all your friends, we have lots of smokers and can cook lots of food. Dan

VAF Calendar...

This would be a great addition to the VAF Calendar. You will get much more exposure there, especially when Doug puts the June VAF Calendar events on his Front Page. The VAF Calendar link is in the header at the top of this page and it’s easy to publish.

Thanks for the info on the VAF calendar.

I've never been on the VAF calendar before. Thanks. I put our BBQ on it. Dan

Back