What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Rudder Bottom Mod R-911???

Motors

I'm New Here
Hey can someone look at these pics? I'm working on a previously owned 7 kit which looks like a mod was done to rudder bottom R-911, adding a wrap around piece of thin... probably .034 Al.

The blind rivets contact the aircraft fuselage aft skin at full rudder deflection, which limits full travel to about 32 degrees. I need to fix the limit restriction and I'm considering removing this piece unless someone knows of a good reason to keep it and make it work.

Thanks

Peter

Attachments

• image1(1).jpg
    image1(1).jpg
    366.7 KB · Views: 366
  • image0(1).jpg
    image0(1).jpg
    286.9 KB · Views: 468
Hey can someone look at these pics? I'm working on a previously owned 7 kit which looks like a mod was done to rudder bottom R-911, adding a wrap around piece of thin... probably .034 Al.

The blind rivets contact the aircraft fuselage aft skin at full rudder deflection, which limits full travel to about 32 degrees. I need to fix the limit restriction and I'm considering removing this piece unless someone knows of a good reason to keep it and make it work.

Thanks

Peter

It appears they added it because the bottom fairing has been cut away in that area. Remove the piece and the bottom cap and layup a repair with holes where they belong. There's quite a bit of daylight that should be closed up too.
Mine actually slides on from aft so it stops at the base of the rudder horn.

Also it’s better to flip those bolts.. best practice is to have bolts facing down or back if able.

Thanks Larry,

I was thinking that was what happened. Ok, so I will remove it and either fix it or replace with a new piece from Van's which has a tail light... Hmmm.

Does your rudder bottom rivet to the rear spar, VS-803PP forward of the rudder horn? My plans don't show that, but I thought I should ask it appears that may strengthen the piece. But maybe its not necessary.

Thanks

Peter

Rudder

Thanks Larry,

I was thinking that was what happened. Ok, so I will remove it and either fix it or replace with a new piece from Van's which has a tail light... Hmmm.

Does your rudder bottom rivet to the rear spar, VS-803PP forward of the rudder horn? My plans don't show that, but I thought I should ask it appears that may strengthen the piece. But maybe its not necessary.

Thanks

Peter

The plans call for it to slip up from bottom. Mine is trimmed to slip on from aft. I added a lip from the curved forward edge to the spar inside so it's basically sealed. It is held by the rows of pulled rivets along the bottom. None in the spar.
You may find photos on my blog. Finishing pages.
LL
http://wirejockrv7a.blogspot.com

This is how I trimmed mine.

Roberta

RWQCE7j.jpg

Last edited:
One thing affects others.

Several things going on there.

1. Builder X probably installed that piece either because the glass was goofed, or because they could not get the glass on/off because of the tail spring. Depending on expectation for fairing removal, you can easily build that glass back up to "factory" and make it look/fit like Roberta's photo.

2. The rudder stops don't look like they are the correct geometry for the riveted TE rudder, make sure that is correct before addressing the swing interference.

3. The fore/aft rudder adjustment with hinges should be verified before implementing a final design conclusion and change. It will affect contact, and I was told if all else was correct just shorten the VS skin. Slightly and carefully of course.

2 cents . . . .

PS:Roberta always did/does beautiful work!!!!

Last edited:
GROUND AIRPLANE.

YOU ARE MISSING NUTS ON YOUR RUDDER ATTACH.

BOOMER

I saw that too, plus the upside down rudder cable attach bolt with no cotter pin, and figured Motors had removed the rudder, but hadn’t made the finish install until he figured out what to do about the rivet interference.

When you get that fixed, make sure that the rudder deflection doesn’t exceed spec before hitting the stop, lest you end up with holes in your rudder when parked outside on a windy day.

how much gap is there between the full swivel tail spring and the R-911 rudder bottom? is it enough 2/32?

I would order the RV 7 plans from Vans. Ground aircraft and begin working with a EAA Technical adviser to repair all problems. Good luck.

If you do end up replacing the R-911 lower rudder fiberglass piece, please let me know. I am in the process of repairing an old, damaged rudder. I am completely finishing and painting it to be identical to the one on my plane and then I plan to hang it up in my man cave as a wall hanging.

Thanks,

Back