What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

ELT Location

JackW794

I'm in the process of deciding on a location for an ACK E-04 ELT in my 6A. It seems that the simplest location would be on top of F-629 (Bellcrank Rib, Dwg 32) near the bulkhead behind it. I'm thinking that I could drill some holes in the top of the rib and use blind rivets to hold the ELT mounting plate in place. It seems that this a location that would be fairly weight and balance neutral, and I think there would be plenty of clearance below the elevator pushrod.

I've tried to look at photos of others ELT locations, but I'm getting Russian propaganda photos instead.

I'm in the process of deciding on a location for an ACK E-04 ELT in my 6A. It seems that the simplest location would be on top of F-629 (Bellcrank Rib, Dwg 32) near the bulkhead behind it. I'm thinking that I could drill some holes in the top of the rib and use blind rivets to hold the ELT mounting plate in place. It seems that this a location that would be fairly weight and balance neutral, and I think there would be plenty of clearance below the elevator pushrod.

I've tried to look at photos of others ELT locations, but I'm getting Russian propaganda photos instead.

In the old plans, the battery was in the footwell up against the firewall. I made a similar mount and put the ELT behind the battery in the center channel of the footwell.

ELT location

Top of F-629....NOT a good location. Too small a footprint to securely mount an ELT. Look at the mounting requirements for whatever ELT you are using. It is a fairly heavy "brick" at about 2 lbs and requires some fairly stiff structure for a mounting location.

Here's what I did on my -6A: Rivet two .062" x 3/4 x 3/4 angles fore and aft between the two fuselage bulkheads. Tie the angle ends nearness the forward bulkhead to the bulkhead (prevents future oil canning induced skin cracking....ask me how I know :) ). Mount a platform between the two angles. The ELT mounting bracket is attached to the platform with screws and nutplates.

Here's a photo of the fit-up with an ELT mock-up used. My ELT is an Artex ME406 (for size reference). Unfortunately you can't really see the platform between the angles. The platform was fabricated from a scrap F-632 roll-bar brace.

Attachments

• build 2-132.jpg
    build 2-132.jpg
    547 KB · Views: 167
I put mine under the baggage floor with an access panel.

FP16042019A0001H.jpg

ELT location in my RV6 -

98E23849-30E2-462C-A314-28C566D5C2D7.jpg

The flanges on the bracket are tapered so that the ELT sits straight longitudinally.
Tried to straighten this picture out, but wasn’t able to. I know it matters how I hold my iPhone when taking the picture, but this was taken many months ago before I knew.

Last edited:
Guys: When I had the FAA bud doing an unofficial pre-inspection on my -9A, the guy showed me a reference concerning installation of ELTs. He said "as far aft as possible". Mine is under the vertical stab. Just another data point. Dan from Reno

Behind baggage compartment bulkhead

Made a shelf behind the baggage bulkhead door. Put several components there to shift weight back. See the avionics section of Mykitlog link below.

Attachments

• CDC79860-84DD-431B-B5AD-20DB482AFBAE.png
    CDC79860-84DD-431B-B5AD-20DB482AFBAE.png
    269.3 KB · Views: 139
Back