What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Carpet Templates and Carpet Suppliers

JW969

I'm New Here
I am looking to put the 3 piece carpet instal in my RV-6.

I want to do the front, under the seats, and baggage area. If anyone knows where I can get templates that would be awesome.

Also I will need a carpet vendor/supplier as well.

Thanks everyone

Lowes

I used indoor outdoor carpet from lowes. Thin, durable, no edge binding needed to prevent any unraveling. It seems to stay put under the seats well, or some velcro. Easy to cut with an xacto knife . $20 for materials. U will find it easy to cut a piece for baggage area. Under seats pretty simple too, two pieces, from front edge of spar back to flat area of floor, holes cut out for stick. From the flat back not too tough to do. I would have to remove to trace for templates, hope this photo helps you visualize mine. For front, my pedals are floor mounted. Basically a square piece, one each side. Sorry no pic of fwd floor , outside of plane . 30 year old 6A, just installed Lemeke interior. Carpet on eing pic, big square cut out left is due to Whelen power supply box sit there, the narrow slots on same piece is lap belt attach point, center cut out, flap tower, lond narrow left to right is for seat back floor hinge attach point

Attachments

• 88FB49D1-E523-4C12-A0A1-C2C9D1C8E994.jpeg
    88FB49D1-E523-4C12-A0A1-C2C9D1C8E994.jpeg
    553.1 KB · Views: 321
  • A67FD4C9-3634-4909-AA58-68B6E0B16CEC.jpeg
    A67FD4C9-3634-4909-AA58-68B6E0B16CEC.jpeg
    877.3 KB · Views: 387
  • B221F366-26E2-49E4-9EBE-8906FA1C4340.jpeg
    B221F366-26E2-49E4-9EBE-8906FA1C4340.jpeg
    717.4 KB · Views: 371
Last edited:
If you homebrew carpeting, do yourself a favor and get carpet with nylon face fiber. The best nylon for the purpose is type 6.6 nylon, with type 6 coming in second. Ideally, you'd go to a commercial floorcovering dealer and get a product with a "Type 1" safety rating.

Polyester and polypropylene yarn burn much more easily than nylon.

If you need to make your own pattern, I've found that ordinary cardboard, from boxes, works quite well.

Dave

What are the fire characteristics? Sure, RVs are not certificated aircraft but the hazards are still the same.

Thanks!

What are the fire characteristics? Sure, RVs are not certificated aircraft but the hazards are still the same.

Thanks!

Nylon carpet, installed flat (not up walls or side panels) is self-extinguishing, meaning if you remove the heat source, the fire will go out on its own. Carpet with a Class 1 rating will self-extinguish faster than carpet with a Class 2 rating. The practical difference probably isn't that large.

If you're really concerned about carpet burning, a wool face fiber is the way to go. Its properties are substantially better than any of the synthetics, but wool carpet is very hard to find in a lightweight construction suitable for aircraft.

The carpet in most (all?) US airliners has nylon face fiber. In Europe, wool is more common.

Or did you want the 78 page technical version. ;-)

I have my drawings from when I ordered baggage and forward-floor carpets from flightline interiors. Shoot me an e-mail and I can send you what I have. May not be perfect for your configuration, but should be pretty close.

Thanks guys

I think I am going to make templates from poster-board tommorow. I think that will be fairly simple.

I'll send photos after I'm done.

My wheelin box is behind the left seat in the baggage compartment so I think I'll pull it up and then re-mount on top of carpet once it's in.

I think I am going to make templates from poster-board tommorow. I think that will be fairly simple.

I'll send photos after I'm done.

My wheelin box is behind the left seat in the baggage compartment so I think I'll pull it up and then re-mount on top of carpet once it's in.

Carpet is heavy. You might want to weigh the piece (or estimate its weight) that would go in your baggage compartment before making that commitment. I made a very nice custom mat for the baggage compartment of my -6 about 20 years ago, weighed it, and decided that I'd rather have several more pounds of baggage allowance.

I have used taped or glued together paper grocery store bags for template material for all manner of car and airplane interior projects. Heavy enough to provide a meaningful outline and light enough to go around edges and corners.
Follow up question about fire resistance; I have used the Unbound Indoor/Outdoor carpet available from HD. This stuff is made from PET fibers and is not supposed to substantially propagate flame when exposed. Have not put any in my RV yet but my carpet is about due for replacement. Has anyone used this stuff and care to comment? I may put a torch to a piece of scrap to see what happens.
Thanks!
Kirk

…..
Follow up question about fire resistance; I have used the Unbound Indoor/Outdoor carpet available from HD. This stuff is made from PET fibers and is not supposed to substantially propagate flame when exposed. Have not put any in my RV yet but my carpet is about due for replacement. Has anyone used this stuff and care to comment? I may put a torch to a piece of scrap to see what happens.
Thanks!
Kirk

My test showed no inherent flammability….. sorta melted vs up in flames. This is what I used in my above post.

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Select-Ele...d-Granite-Interior-Exterior-Carpet/1000411979

Carpet is heavy. You might want to weigh the piece (or estimate its weight) that would go in your baggage compartment before making that commitment. I made a very nice custom mat for the baggage compartment of my -6 about 20 years ago, weighed it, and decided that I'd rather have several more pounds of baggage allowance.
My plan is to weigh the old which is small and light and then weigh the new before install. I will attach is via velcro so if I need to remove it for more weight it'll be simple. I have the W&B info in fore-flight so that'll make it all simple.

I've seen some people say 1800 on MGW and some say 1650, but no definitive answer i've found.

My plan is to weigh the old which is small and light and then weigh the new before install. I will attach is via velcro so if I need to remove it for more weight it'll be simple. I have the W&B info in fore-flight so that'll make it all simple.

I've seen some people say 1800 on MGW and some say 1650, but no definitive answer i've found.

The pre-made carpet I received from Abby at Flightline Interiors is very light. The baggage carpet can't weigh more than 1.5-2 pounds.

Builder establishes this. Most of the time I’ve seen 180 vs 160hp is what drives one or the other. 180hp=1800 Max Gross weight etc.

Carpet Install

So the project turned out great. I wasn't able to take good photos, but I will soon.

Removed 1.2 lbs old carpet

Added 6 lbs new carpet with 3.2 lbs of it in the bagage.

Back