What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Proper procedure for re-torquing engine mount bolts at condition inspection?

lndwarrior

Well Known Member
My plane is a few years old now and I have not checked the engine mount torque since the initial install. i am thinking, in particular, of the engine to engine mount bolts/nuts.

This question is specific to the annual condition inspection.

Would the correct procedure be to first check under-torque with a torque wrench. Then if not under-torqued, loosen nut and torque to required torque?

Or, if the the first check indicates the nut is not under-torqued, just leave it alone rather than loosening and re-torquing?

My inclination is that the only way to know the correct torque is to loosen and re-torque each engine mount nut.

If so, is there any particular order this should be done in? I would think not, but so many times I have been surprised that "simplified" logic does not always apply to aircraft mx.

Torque

How often do you retorque your connecting rod bolts? The answer would be never.
The engine mount to fuselage bolts do need retorqueing. There is no demonstrated need to retorque mount to engine bolts.

I put an open end wrench on the mount/firewall nuts, if I can turn em I pull the cotter pin and tighten.

Back