What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-10 Baggage Tie Downs

mulde35d

Well Known Member
Friend
Was curious what everyone is using for a baggage tie down in the RV-10 cargo compartment. Initial thought is 4 Rings (one in each corner) with some sort of bungee type cargo net, but interested in what others have done. Or if one is even needed?

I can't take credit for this - I saw it either here or on another website and copied the idea. Hinge material riveted to scrap thick aluminum sheet, with a hole big enough for a bungie cord hook. Countersunk for CS4-4 rivets into the baggage floor.

Attachments

• Tie down.JPG
    Tie down.JPG
    41.1 KB · Views: 149
I don't have pics of this, apparently, but I installed a number of tie down points to the floor back there with short sections of piano hinge in the middle of each to allow removal of the tiedowns completely if desired. They are attached to the floor with pulled rivets anywhere that access was an issue. So far I have only used the two rearmost tiedowns, to secure my ballast (collapsible water jugs) against the rear bulkhead with a length of rope.

I installed skin doublers and nutplates in each 4 corners of the baggage floor. I'll be able to thread in ring tie-down points for a bungee-net type of solution.

Its not a heavy-duty solution to ratchet something down, but just something to get a net over the top in case heavy turbulence is hit and needs to contain something in the baggage area.

I can't take credit for this - I saw it either here or on another website and copied the idea. Hinge material riveted to scrap thick aluminum sheet, with a hole big enough for a bungie cord hook. Countersunk for CS4-4 rivets into the baggage floor.

This is what I did. However, if I were doing it over, I'd put heavier reinforcement under the floor than I did. My tie downs will keep things from "sliding", but probably not strong enough to ratchet heavy items down in event of off field landing / crash.

Yup, that's my install to a T.

This is what I did. However, if I were doing it over, I'd put heavier reinforcement under the floor than I did. My tie downs will keep things from "sliding", but probably not strong enough to ratchet heavy items down in event of off field landing / crash.

Here's some pics of mine.....

Attachments

• IMG_1796.jpg
    IMG_1796.jpg
    643.5 KB · Views: 179
  • IMG_1803.jpg
    IMG_1803.jpg
    240.5 KB · Views: 225
  • IMG_1801.jpg
    IMG_1801.jpg
    226.2 KB · Views: 242
Adel Clamps

There are many options for baggage tie downs.
You may construct your RV-10 to hold 100# of baggage and unless you are hauling sandbags or anvils, your baggage will consist of cooler box, luggage, jackets or whatever else you need for a long trip. In other words, more than likely it will be stuffed to the ceiling and nothing will have room to move around.
For the smaller items like tow bar, "remove before flight" covers, wheel chucks, canopy cover and whatever else you might bring along for short trips, heavy duty anchors are simply not needed.
I installed a number of adel clamps along the already nut plated holes just above the floor and behind the seat, bungee cords criss crossed between them and used as necessary. Very light weight, strong and perfectly adaptable to many different loading scenarios.

I bought a bunch of removable ones (similar to what’s pictured below) and was going to install the bases with rivnuts, but never got around to it. Since I’m about to hit my 7 year anniversary since first flight I doubt I ever will at this point.

Attachments

• B9A509B9-D1BF-4937-B80C-30F4C0ED9C56.jpeg
    B9A509B9-D1BF-4937-B80C-30F4C0ED9C56.jpeg
    167.5 KB · Views: 93
Last edited:
Me like

There are many options for baggage tie downs.

I installed a number of adel clamps along the already nut plated holes just above the floor and behind the seat, bungee cords criss crossed between them and used as necessary. Very light weight, strong and perfectly adaptable to many different loading scenarios.

I like this idea, hope you dont mind if I copy it.

You also mentioned misc stuff. I think i will build a zipper pouch for the back of the pilot’s seat to hold this. And maybe another one for the co pilot’s seat to hold the poh and other papers.

Back