What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Things you do because you you've done it that way before.

claycookiemonster

Well Known Member
I remember very early in my time here, as a very newbie builder, I was an absolute sponge for any hints from the experienced builders. There was a thread about the right color of sharpie for marking things, believe it or not! Anyway, the consensus was that Blue was the best marker color. I ran out and bought a couple boxes of Blue Sharpies, and I'm still using them!

I was just wondering what other shop habits, or good luck operations you may have carried on over the course of your build, just because you've done it that way before.

And, YES, my RV will actually be painted blue. I'm sure there's no connection.

Reactions: pjc
Building
I don’t cut on the line. I cut just short of the line and hand file to the line. I know it takes a lot of extra time but I still do it because I always have.
Drilled holes at #40 then drilled up for those that were 1/8” rivets to #30. Nobody does that anymore I am sure as nobody is drilling holes.
Put tools away at end of every work session. Spent hours looking for a wrench the next day once so now always put everything away even if in the middle of a task.
Flying
Pull the prop through full revolution during preflight. Seems to be help starting when I was having starting issues years ago so always still do it.

FYI. I use black sharpie for cutting and red sharpie for other markings that are not cuts like hole spacing and folds and bends.

Last edited:
The best/most important hint I can give is do not use black electrical tape when you install your windscreen. It disappears in the black-dyed epoxy you use for the first couple of fiberglas layers. :eek: Use yellow, blue, red . . . any color but black. Ask me how I found out.

Pull the prop through full revolution during preflight. Seems to be help starting when I was having starting issues years ago so always still do it.

I used to do this, until I saw an engine light off because the P-lead became disconnected...

Last edited:
There was a thread about the right color of sharpie for marking things, believe it or not!

I do believe it...It's in section 5 of Vans build manual that blue lasts longer on aluminum than any other color, but nobody knows why :)

As far as my own habits, I'm sure I've got bunch that I don't even notice, but the only one that comes to mind at the moment is that my dad taught me that there's a right way to use a crescent wrench and if you put it on backward you put undue stress on the movable jaw.

'I have no idea if thats even remotely true, but I always do it like he showed me, about 45 years ago.

I always disconnect an air tool from its hose when I put the tool down on a bench - I’ve broken enough drill bits when the weight of the hose (or someone tripping on it) pulled the drill motor off the table. I disconnect them so automatically I don’t even think about it anymore….

Habits

I also do most of the habits posted.
Cut outside the line
Drill the first hole #41
Disconnect air from tools

I always test the countersink cage on scrap. I have three and no matter how many perfect countersinks, they still get tested before final hole.

I drill holes in fiberglass one size smaller. Clekos fit better and can always be upsized later if needed.

The most-used power tool in my shop is the shop vac. I vacuum up ships and dust as soon as I can. Could probably get away with less but that's what I do.

Dave

As well as the above, a few more items:

- Always disconnect tools from power source before changing bits/blades/etc.
- Always put chuck key back before using tool (flying key really hurts)
- Always back up the hole being drilled with a small wood block (helps prevent drilled fingers)

Inspect each rivet that was just installed.
Then admire or curse and replace.

Cut cable tie ends off as close as possible so I don’t get cut later.

Last edited:
Habits

Years ago as a Xerox Tech Rep, I was advised never to put tools in my pockets. I also take a break after 2 hours or so and quit for the day if I find myself getting stressed over a problem.
Still never do. Double ditto on all previous habits. Especially putting tool away after use. Great thread BTW:D

Last edited:
"Measure twice, cut once" is on a sign above my workbench......
Stewart Willoughby, 6 final assembly

At least once in every build session, put the cleco pliers down in a place they won't be found without serious work stoppage. Also, for some reason, the cleco pliers with blue rubber on the handles are used for #30's while the ones with no rubber on the handles are used on #40's.

- Always disconnect tools from power source before changing bits/blades/etc.
- Always put chuck key back before using tool (flying key really hurts)

For electrical drills, I tape the chuck key to the plug side of the power cord which forces me to unplug the tool in order to use the chuck.

Another carpenter's trick: When using an extension cord, first tie the tool's cord to the extension cord and then plug it into the extension cord. This prevents you from accidentally pulling the tool's cord out of the extension cord.

Until the blade is stopped and it is unplugged, any power saw is not your friend. Always assume it is plugged in.

After the second yawn, you're done for the night.

Walking away from a problem and coming back tomorrow will cost you nothing. Pushing a bad day could cost you thousands. Or a finger. Or an eye.

Last edited:
After the second yawn, you're done for the night.

Walking away from a problem and coming back tomorrow will cost you nothing. Pushing a bad day could cost you thousands. Or a finger. Or an eye.

Total agree and one reason building a metal airplane is so much better than working with composites/fiberglass (and anything else that cures like proseal).

And your chance for mistakes significantly increases after a yawn.

For electrical drills, I tape the chuck key to the plug side of the power cord which forces me to unplug the tool in order to use the chuck.

What is this “chuck key” that you speak of? Or…”power cord”?

Warm up

I do a "warm up" when going down to the shop - work on something easy or non-consequential before getting to the most serious stuff.

I also tried to have several things going at once - some fiberglass, some electrical, some metal. Some days you just feel like doing wiring, some days you feel like riveting or cutting aluminum. And even some days you feel like fiberglass, but that's a bit more rare. When you feel like it, you want to be able to jump in and get productive.

Not sure if anyone mentioned it, but the first thing I did was put on eye protection - no matter what I was working on. It just became a habit. I can fly without a finger or with a scar on my face, but not without eyes. Lots of stuff in the shop can take out an eye.

Last edited:
Years ago as a Xerox Tech Rep, I was advised never to put tools in my pockets.
Still never do. Double ditto on all previous habits. Especially putting tool away after use. Great thread BTW:D

in a similar but opposite way, when I was a kid I read a tip in Field and Stream magazine to never lay a pocket knife down. Open it, use it, and then put it back in your pocket. You'll never loose it that way.
Lay it on the tree stump or on the ground while you do something else with whatever it is you're working on will often lead to you leaving it there and walking away.

I've lost a few tools over the years when I didn't follow that suggestion.

Boost pump

Maybe more a hard lesson learned, but on my next plane I will locate the boost pump switch just above the throttle, within thumb reach in the blind, rather than in a line of switches on the left panel. 🙈

Don't try to move too fast.

I have been thinking about this thread and rediscovered a shop rule. My plane was built in my basement and it was tight in 3D. Hanging, leaning and sitting.

I discovered the rule: "don't move fast in any direction without looking and deliberation" Otherwise something gets damaged, me-it or both.

Edit: Yes, MEL, especially moving vertically, I (gently) bumped my head (the rediscovery) on a hanging mirror after rising from my knees looking at some books with a flashlight.

Last edited:
I have been thinking about this thread and rediscovered a shop rule. My plane was built in my basement and it was tight in 3D. Hanging, leaning and sitting.
I discovered the rule: "don't move fast in any direction without looking and deliberation" Otherwise something gets damaged, me-it or both.

Important follow-op to this rule; After bending over, DO NOT straighten up quickly! The back of your head is softer than most airplane parts.

I got into the habit of doing a total shop cleaning after each stage of the build was done. All tools and supplies were replaced to the correct locations and the shop was blitzed. This helped me to mentally shift gears into a new phase of the project. I enjoyed working in a clean shop, and it saved time when I was not having to search for tools.
The other thing- install more lighting...there is never enough light.

The most-used power tool in my shop is the shop vac. I vacuum up ships and dust as soon as I can. Could probably get away with less but that's what I do.

Dave

Me too, until I moved the older RoboRock S5 from the house to the shop. Now it vacuums the shop three times a week at 2AM. I love it. Gets under everything and saves me a bunch of time sweeping up drill shavings and lost rivets. It occasionally finds a cleco or two...

I just sweep the bench top off onto the floor, and 'ol Rocky will get it later.

Seriously, get one. (highly recommend the Roborock brand. Great mapping, nav, and software.)

If I ever get the hangar doors replaced and electricity (Ian), I may get one for the hangar.

Before you end your build session, leave a note of what you are going to do in the next build session. When ordering from Spruce, look for USPS prices. Air tools only need three drops of air oil for the day. Scotch matt finish removable tape will hold rivets in place.

I don't like to keep changing drill bits so I have seven identical compact cordless drills with keyless chucks. Bought them on eBay. Somebody is going to score big time when I am done building.

I got into the habit of doing a total shop cleaning after each stage of the build was done. All tools and supplies were replaced to the correct locations and the shop was blitzed. This helped me to mentally shift gears into a new phase of the project. I enjoyed working in a clean shop, and it saved time when I was not having to search for tools.
The other thing- install more lighting...there is never enough light.
About once a week, I halt all progress and clean the shop/replace all the tools. Not building a plane, but always involved in 'projects' of some sort. A clean shop is a productive shop!

Bill

Back