What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Tip-up instrument waterproof cover

Flying Scotsman

Well Known Member
I've searched the forums using all sorts of keywords, but unable to find more than one picture of a waterproof "cover" for tip-up instrument protection from water. I could swear I saw a really nice one somewhere, using waterproof nylon (ripstop?) that was all velcroed in place...can someone help?

I need to show someone what this looks like to get the pieces/parts cut and sewn...

TIA!

Steve

Here...

Hi

Here's of it's done on a RV-6 built by a US-builder named Fred:

He used spinaker fabric and it's hold in place with velcro.

Heat

Maybe it's not an issue, but I can't help wondering what these covers do to the temperatures under them. Some electronics produce heat, and these covers seem to be putting a nice blanket over the warm electronics, not allowing heat to escape so easily. It seems to me that higher temperatures might possibly increase the risk of electronics failures over time. I note that Mikey has a cover like this, and has had an electronics failure. (see http://www.vansairforce.com/community/showthread.php?t=49983

Of course water also has a bad effect on electronics. Maybe this is the less of two evils.

Last edited:
My tip up seal is working really good preventing water getting to the behind the panel but I am still getting little water behind the sub panel and it is coming thru the gap that it is for the hinges. Of course I do have some other electrical parts there and therefore worry about them some. I am not sure exactly how to seal that area yet, so far some ugly tap is covering the UHMB gap that the hinge is rotating thru it. So even with such cover, you still need to protect the items that are behind the subpanel.

Research!

Maybe it's not an issue, but I can't help wondering what these covers do to the temperatures under them. Some electronics produce heat, and these covers seem to be putting a nice blanket over the warm electronics, not allowing heat to escape so easily. It seems to me that higher temperatures might possibly increase the risk of electronics failures over time. I note that Mikey has a cover like this, and has had an electronics failure. (see http://www.vansairforce.com/community/showthread.php?t=49983

Of course water also has a bad effect on electronics. Maybe this is the less of two evils.

Interesting thought. I'm doubtful that heat is a problem but it will be easy to test. I have the dual temperature thermometer in Mikey ready for a series of tests. I'll report back in a week or two.

Data on temperature -- Non-issue

I've flown a couple of trips now with a small indoor-outdoor thermometer to test this concerns. The "outside" probe was extended under the rip-stop cover, high in the area of concern, between the D-180 and the radio stack (which I assume would be the highest temperature area). The outside temperature has been cool down here (especially on the morning and late afternoon commute) and ranged from zero to nine degrees Celsius on these flights. In these conditions and WITHOUT the cabin heat on, the temperature behind the panel stayed within three degrees Fahrenheit of the cabin temperature on my ~45 minute commutes. In fact, on the sunny late afternoon, the behind-panel temperature was 3oF LOWER than than the cabin temperature. This morning, after landing, it was 2oF LOWER.

I've also done some playing around and have these preliminary observations. The temperature is MUCH higher behind the panel with the cabin heat on. It rose to a toasty 86oC. Wish I could get the cabin temperature up there! I also observed that, in general, the cabin warmed and cooled faster than behind the panel with changes in outside temperature (climbs and descents), stopping cabin heat, and radiant heat (sunshine).

Bottomline, I've seen enough to be convinced that the cover is NOT a temperature issue with my instrumentation. Of course, the academic within me says that "more research and funding is required". ;)

Louise, when you get around to optimizing FWF cooling drag, I have a digital differential manometer for you to use :).

In-kind match

Louise, when you get around to optimizing FWF cooling drag, I have a digital differential manometer for you to use :).

Thanks, Scott. One's funding chances are usually increased by being able to show a match! :D

Commercially sold instrument cover

There's an instrument cover that is sold by Flightline Interiors. I'm not sure about cooling issues. I'm considering giving it a try. Might have to put an extra fan to move air through the area behind the instrument panel. I also will be installing two fans for defrost up through the glare shield. They might not work as well without the air coming through the avionics first.

Maybe the best way is a hybrid version, that still diverts water that might come through the canopy seal at the front, but still allows air flow for multiple reasons.

Attachments

• avionics cover.jpg
    avionics cover.jpg
    135.9 KB · Views: 153
Go to a fabric store an purchase tent flyover material. It's water proof. Sew velcro onto the edges. Be sure to have the matching velcro under the right angle on the top of the instrument panel and under the drip edge on the bulkhead behind the instrument panel. It helps to sandwitch the matching velcro with metal as the velcro glue will eventially fail.

I have pictures if your interested.

Hi

Here's of it's done on a RV-6 built by a US-builder named Fred:

He used spinaker fabric and it's hold in place with velcro.

Tip Up Instrument Cover?

I'm looking for an instrument cover for my RV-9A tip up and I see that Flightline Interiors are no longer taking orders due to a high backlog.

So my question is are there any other vendors that sell them or do I need to add this to my project list as well like others have done?

Or maybe someone has one they decided to not use? Please let me know.

Thanks

Back