- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Keep VAF Going
Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Old 09-13-2008, 07:41 AM

Default RV-10 aileron trim

Hi, all... where in the wing does the aileron trim servo mount in the -10? Also, I found the wiring diagrams on the Ray Allen site, but I don't see where is says the current each of the 5 wires should be able to handle--anyone have wire size recommendations?

I'm not installing the aileron trim, but do want to wire for it now, in case I change my mind after flying. Couldn't find anything in the archives.

Thanks...

-Rob
EAA Chapter 1440
Old 09-13-2008, 07:55 AM

The servo mounts on the inboard wing inspection panel and connects to the aileron control tube via springs. Same (or very similar) servo to what is supplied for the elevator trim. There's an arm that moves left/right that the springs attach to. Other end of the springs attach to clips that are blind riveted to the aileron control tube.

Bob
RV-10 N442PM
Old 09-13-2008, 07:58 AM

Rob,
Wiring for aileron trim is the least of the problems. The trim motor mounts on the Inspection Plate door closest to the fuselage. It uses two rather large springs that are attached to the Aileron Push Tube about a foot from the motor on both sides. The only way I know to install it, after the wing is attached, is to take the wing back off. You have to put two attachment points for the springs on the Push Tube, which means pulling the Push Tube.
In short, make up your mind before you attach the wing.

John
Old 09-13-2008, 12:27 PM

Although I installed mine before installing the wing, I think it could be installed without too much pain with the wing on. You'll need the aileron push tube out to install the clips that the springs attach to. The push tube can be removed by unbolting from the bellcrank and root torque tube connections, then with the wingtip off, just slide it out.

The springs attach to the aileron push tube clips with the push tube in place - you'll either do that with the wing in a cradle (easier) or on your back with the wing in place.

The servo doesn't use much current and wires are very small - no larger than #24. Most folks don't use anything smaller than #22 in the airframe so it's a non-issue. Servo has the same 5 wires as the one used for the elevator: 2 that control the motor and 3 that are used for position sensing.

Bob
Old 09-13-2008, 08:11 PM

Thanks, all, for the replies. Great info, as usual.

-Rob
EAA Chapter 1440
Old 09-13-2008, 09:43 PM

Default Just a push

I use my Aileron trim on every flight. I find the RV-10 sensitive to loading in the roll axis. Fuel burn, 1 pilot, 2 pilot all make a difference and fuel balancing alone would not solve the problem......I would put it in up front.
Old 09-14-2008, 03:13 AM

Like many things in life, if you dont do it know you will only end up doing it later and cursing yourself for not doing it earlier.

DB
Old 09-16-2008, 11:18 PM

My thought is that I can save cost/time/weight/complexity by not installing the aileron trim. I'm building this mostly for X-C, and I figure I'll have the A/P on most of the time. I do recognize that I may change my mind (which is why I'm wiring for it) but if it's not too difficult to do later, I think I'll wait.

Thanks, all...

-Rob
EAA Chapter 1440
Old 09-17-2008, 06:42 AM

I just installed my aileron trim on my 10 and it only took a little over 4 hrs
to build the entire trim system and run the wires. The servo is your only extra
weight. The springs and hardware weigh very little. The wire probably weighs
as much as the hardware. I would put it in now.
Rans S21
Old 09-17-2008, 11:35 PM

RV10Rob

DO AS YOU ARE TOLD!!!

Quote:
My thought is that I can save cost/time/weight/complexity by not installing the aileron trim. I'm building this mostly for X-C, and I figure I'll have the A/P on most of the time. I do recognize that I may change my mind (which is why I'm wiring for it) but if it's not too difficult to do later, I think I'll wait.
Now you have given us the ammo we need to shoot you again!

The poor old autopilot servo will be fighting the out of trim all day, and more so for X-C trips. If your flying was short 15-20 minute scenics or hops around the place maybe so, but you will regret it.

Fit them now....... or we will all be laughing our butts off at you later.

Your A/P will appreciate it too, and your pax will not wonder why the stick pulses all the time....... some might get too excited by it

DB