- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Keep VAF Going
Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Old 04-06-2021, 09:08 AM

Default FAA Restrictions?

I read the following FAA excerpts. What are the practical implications? I can't land in Nashville? The administrator must approve IFR certs?

(c) Unless otherwise authorized by the Administrator in special operating limitations, no person may operate an aircraft that has an experimental certificate over a densely populated area or in a congested airway. The Administrator may issue special operating limitations for particular aircraft to permit takeoffs and landings to be conducted over a densely populated area or in a congested airway, in accordance with terms and conditions specified in the authorization in the interest of safety in air commerce.

(d) Each person operating an aircraft that has an experimental certificate shall
(2) Operate under VFR, day only, unless otherwise specifically authorized by the Administrator;
Old 04-06-2021, 09:11 AM

What you read is correct, but really only applies to phase 1.

Keep in mind on initial contact to a tower you must announce experimental. After phase 1 we operate just like any other airplane in the system, aside from you can't rent it to someone else.
Old 04-06-2021, 09:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Scott View Post
I read the following FAA excerpts. What are the practical implications? I can't land in Nashville? The administrator must approve IFR certs?

(c) Unless otherwise authorized by the Administrator in special operating limitations, no person may operate an aircraft that has an experimental certificate over a densely populated area or in a congested airway. The Administrator may issue special operating limitations for particular aircraft to permit takeoffs and landings to be conducted over a densely populated area or in a congested airway, in accordance with terms and conditions specified in the authorization in the interest of safety in air commerce.

(d) Each person operating an aircraft that has an experimental certificate shall
(2) Operate under VFR, day only, unless otherwise specifically authorized by the Administrator;
Long story short the authorities to operate reside with the Administrator but are delegated down to various entities with ATC being the relevant one in this discussion. That means you don’t have to get the actual Administrator’s approval. Your OPLIMs will give you authorization to operate the aircraft IFR if properly worded. It will say something akin to operate day VFR unless properly equipped to operate at night or IFR IAW 91.205. Don’t forget about current 91.411 and 413 inspections as well.
WAR EAGLE!
Old 04-06-2021, 09:15 AM

OK that seems a lot better. So "experimental" must be in first contact to a tower, but not to center, or approach? - Just "RV-xxxxx?
Old 04-06-2021, 09:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Scott View Post
OK that seems a lot better. So "experimental" must be in first contact to a tower, but not to center, or approach? - Just "RV-xxxxx?
Correct, just to tower. I initially say experimental RV 728TT and drop experimental after that.
WAR EAGLE!
Old 04-06-2021, 09:46 AM

Read the oplims for YOUR airplane. They will specify where and how you can operate your plane. They usually have wording to the effect that the aircraft can't be operated over densely populated areas except for the purpose of take off and landing. I take that to mean I can cross over but not linger over populated areas as long as I plan to land the airplane at some point. Newer versions of the oplims contain no requirement to notify control towers of the "experimental nature of the aircraft".

Ed Holyoke
Old 04-06-2021, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bicyclops View Post
Newer versions of the oplims contain no requirement to notify control towers of the "experimental nature of the aircraft".

Ed Holyoke
That’s good to hear, but the requirement is still there—91.319. I’m of the opinion that that particular rule harkens back to the era of mainly plans built E-AB aircraft that rarely visited controlled airports. Starting in the 90s with the proliferation of kit built aircraft, particularly RVs, the rule is now an anachronism that really provides little to no value.
WAR EAGLE!

Last edited by Auburntsts : 04-06-2021 at 09:56 AM.
Old 04-06-2021, 09:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bicyclops View Post
Newer versions of the oplims contain no requirement to notify control towers of the "experimental nature of the aircraft".

Ed Holyoke
That is correct, but there is an excerpt in FAR 91 that still maintains the requirement for experimentals.

Scott McDaniels
Van's Aircraft Engineering Prototype Shop Manager
Hubbard, Oregon
RV-6A (aka "Junkyard Special ")
Old 04-06-2021, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rvbuilder2002 View Post
That is correct, but there is an excerpt in FAR 91 that still maintains the requirement for experimentals.
That would be 91.319(d): "Each person operating an aircraft that has an experimental certificate shall--(3)Notify the control tower of the experimental nature of the aircraft when operating into or out of airports with an operating control tower."
USAF Vet, High School E-LSA Project Mentor.
RV-6 Flying since 1993 (sold)
<rvmel(at)icloud.com>
Old 04-06-2021, 10:42 AM

This again?