- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Keep VAF Going
Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Old 03-17-2021, 09:42 PM

Default Oil Catch Pan for Oil Filter

I found this nifty oil catch device from the SX300 forum. It should catch all the oil dripping as the oil filter is removed and drains the oil overboard. This will work for the nose wheel models but the tail wheel models need some adjustment.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	oildrnft.gif
Views:	181
Size:	13.7 KB
ID:	9428  
Avionics Installation -- 90%
Firewall Forward -- Prep for cowl install
Electrical -- 90%

Donation paid through 2021
Old 03-18-2021, 12:51 AM

I bought one of these compact oil filter drain funnels designed specifically for aircraft filters from fellow VAF'r Steve Melton (rvplasticparts.com) and couldn't be happier. Everybody in the shop is always looking to use it. Our Form-A-Funnel hardly gets used now.

Old 03-18-2021, 01:08 AM

My accessory case is my catch pan. The very first step I do for an oil change is that I take a drift punch and put a hole in the top of the oil filter. Then I set up to drain the oil sump, take my oil sample, undo the safety wire on the filter, and go get a soda. I come back a half hour later and the sump is empty, and so is the filter. all the oil in the filter has drained out. I unscrew the filter and put a rag under it, and honest, I spill maybe one drop of oil out of the filter.

I guess this is predicated on having the 90-degree filter mount. If the filter is horizontal, I guess the best you can do is drain half.
IO-360 A1A
WW 200RV
"The Magic Carpet" Flying since Sept. 2009
Hobbs 635
LS6-15/18W sailplane SOLD
bought my old LS6-A back!!
VAF donation Dec 2020

Last edited by scsmith : 03-18-2021 at 01:10 AM.
Old 03-20-2021, 05:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scsmith View Post
My accessory case is my catch pan.
Doing this will cause shavings and whatever loose junk is in the filter to work their way back down into the oil pump.

Please don't PM me! Email only!

Bob Japundza CFI A&PIA
N9187P PA-24-260B Comanche, flying
N678X F1 Rocket, under const.
N244BJ RV-6 "victim of SNF tornado" 1200+ hrs, rebuilding
N8155F C150 flying
N7925P PA-24-250 Comanche, restoring
Not a thing I own is stock.
Old 03-21-2021, 08:03 AM

Interesting discussion. With a vertical oil filter (90 degree adapter with filter mating surface on the bottom) wouldn't the filter drain down on its own overnight after shutdown? Or is there a built-in check valve or vacuum lock that keeps this from happening? I know the 108/109 filters have an internal bypass valve and the 110 filters do not so could this be a factor in a awl vent hole punch facilitating internal draining of the filter? I used to partner in a Pitts with a 90 degree adapter and it always seemed full of oil and ready to coat the back side of the engine, mount and hangar floor.

If punching a hole in the filter causes filtered debris to return to the sump or oil pump does it come from the outer filter media pleat side or from the center hole of the filter? Looking at this fine diagram from Dan H it appears that the oil pump side oil (pressure) enters the filter through the small circumferential holes around the periphery of the filter and then returns filtered oil to the engine galleries for lubrication via the large threaded center hole:

So what happens when a hole is punched in the top domed area of oil vertical filter to aid draining the filter? Does the oil drain out the center of the filter (filtered) or back around the perimeter pressure side towards the oil cooler/oil pump (unfiltered)? Both? Regardless of scenario do the paper pleats tend to keep a hold on to shavings/dirt by their geometry of folded triangle cross section forming tapered wedges holding the stuff in place? And finally on a properly broke in and maintained engine does any filter backflow make a noticeable difference in engine life? Lycoming list the same TBO without an oil filter using a rock-sized screen as it does with an oil filter trapping fine particuate. I am not advocating either way but personally would err on the conservative belts and suspenders side of using an oil filter and not draining it back internally until some of these questions are answered. Understanding is a huge benefit in aviation.

Last edited by jliltd : 03-21-2021 at 08:06 AM.
Old 03-21-2021, 08:17 AM

When my A&P was showing me how to change my oil, he used a Form-a-Funnel for managing the oil filter. I was impressed and promptly bought one for both the hangar and my garage at home.
AFS 5400/3500, G5, 430W, some other stuff
Old 03-21-2021, 08:30 AM

Before I loosen the filter, I place my funnel / drain hose under the base, punch a hole at 12 o'clock near the base, loosen 180*, punch a vent hole at whats now the top. Filter drains pretty quickly from the first hole which is now at 6 o'clock.

I have a Casper 45* adapter, but this method should work on a horizontal filter as well.

1975 Cardinal RG N1593H since Mar 1993
1980 RV-3 N3VR Bought flying Sept 2017

Dues current 2021
Old 03-21-2021, 09:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacCool View Post
When my A&P was showing me how to change my oil, he used a Form-a-Funnel for managing the oil filter. I was impressed and promptly bought one for both the hangar and my garage at home.
Interesting tool. Thanks for pointing this out.
Avionics Installation -- 90%
Firewall Forward -- Prep for cowl install
Electrical -- 90%

Donation paid through 2021
Old 03-21-2021, 08:01 PM

These work great. Clean with solvent and reuse...

https://www.flyboyaccessories.com/product-p/3401.htm
Old 03-21-2021, 08:52 PM

Default Rotax filter tray

This plastic tray works well with the Rotax 912 oil filter that is mounted horizontally. The process is to loosen the filter so it can be turned by hand, then hold the tray under the filter while it is fully removed. The oil dribbles into the tray, and when the filter comes off it also goes into the tray. There is very little if any mess.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	16163814502587304089347211504205.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	157.1 KB
ID:	9558  
Building RV-6A #22320 O-320 FP. Wings and tail complete, working on fuselage
Flying my Aeroprakt A-22 STOL and the aero club's RV-9A while I build