- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Keep VAF Going
Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Old 03-16-2021, 07:19 PM

Default Radio static...alternator?

I have static in both radios that goes away when I turn off the alternator. It is a Plane Power internally regulated alternator. The static is not the typical whine of a failed diode. I ran a separate ground wire from the alternator case to the engine block but no change. Now I have replaced the alternator and the static persists, still stops when the alternator is turned off. I am looking for suggestions...anyone have a similar problem and even better, a solution?
Old 03-16-2021, 07:41 PM

Perhaps some details will help:
- You went from no static to static. Anything change, any maintenance or did the noise just start?
- The engine starts as before? If so this confirms a good ground.
- The noise goes away with the alternator off. You replaced the alternator and this same noise is there with the alternator on. I assume your alternator output voltage is correct. If so Id guess this to be voltage related, and the alternator is not the source.
- Have you tried pulling all breakers other than one radio at a time to see if the static goes away? If not, start with whatever you are using for a USB charging port.

Let us know what you fine out.
Carl
Old 03-16-2021, 08:04 PM

My Lemo plugs have static with the alternator right after start and getting the initial charge. The dual plugs have no static. I moved the ground location which helped a bit but I still have some static.
http://operationrv10.blogspot.com/
Old 03-16-2021, 11:17 PM

Good suggestions...I have lemo plugs and will check with regular plugs. Also work through other circuits. Thanks for the input.