Keep VAF Going
Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Go Back   VAF Forums > Main > RV General Discussion/News
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-24-2021, 04:53 PM

Default Prostate Surgery and Building On... or derailed?

Does anyone know how soon after prostate surgery (radical prostatectomy via da Vinci robot) it is possible to resume RV building?

The generic medical advice says it is OK to drive after about 1 week; return to light duties after 2-3 weeks; and avoid strenuous activity for 6 weeks. That would seem to imply that "building on" could resume after 3-6 weeks, and so the project would not need to be mothballed long term. Is that realistic? I would appreciate hearing advice from anyone who has "been there", which could be quite a few of us VAF fellas (based on the statistics).

There's a really good helpful thread on here about flying after cancer, but I couldn't find anything in relation to building. https://vansairforce.net/community/s...light=prostate

Life can throw up some unexpected challenges!
Building RV-6A #22320 O-320 FP. Wings and tail complete, working on fuselage
Flying my Aeroprakt A-22 STOL and the aero club's RV-9A while I build
Old 02-24-2021, 05:03 PM

I think your Doctor would be your best source of this kind of information.
I had prostate surgery just over a year ago, but I did not have a prostatectomy.
I just had the "rotor-rooter" job and I was pretty good after a couple weeks.

Your doctor probably knows your health and tolerance better than anyone else.
USAF Vet, High School E-LSA Project Mentor.
RV-6 Flying since 1993 (sold)
<rvmel(at)icloud.com>
Old 02-24-2021, 05:08 PM

In general, plan to be home when you have the catheter in, and then light duty with no sig lifting for 6 weeks. I can think of tons of things to do when not taking pain meds; on the meds just some TV and a nap is prob best. But once you feel better get out some paper and plan your electrical system. Practice flaring some lines. Plan the extras you need to buy and order some things. Read through the plans and drawings looking ahead. Think about carpet and seats and what-not. There is a ton to do that isn't hands on. The biggest advice is that if you are taking unusual meds don't work with tools. And no lifting.
Old 02-24-2021, 08:22 PM

I had an open radical prostatectomy on October 21, 2019. Iím not a builder so canít comment on the return to building but, I was able to return to riding my bicycle before Thanksgiving. My doctor told me if I wasnít sleeping not to be lying down and to walk, walk, walk. The first week I would go walk and then go sleep in a recliner for a while. Walk sleep repeat. The catheter was the worst. I have a zero gravity recliner and I slept in it until the catheter was out.
I have no regrets, Iím back to full unlimited activity and, my PSA has been unmeasurable since the surgery.
Good luck!
Old 02-24-2021, 08:48 PM

Robotic prostatectomy is completely different than a TUR or open prostatectomy. Best to take your surgeon's advice rather than SGOTI, but his recommendation as you described above are consistent with best practice. I know a lot more about robotic surgery than I do about building an RV, but I can't imagine any reason that your recovery should keep you out of the garage/hangar for any significant length of time.

Last edited by MacCool : 02-24-2021 at 08:51 PM.
Old 02-24-2021, 09:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulvS View Post
Does anyone know how soon after prostate surgery (radical prostatectomy via da Vinci robot) it is possible to resume RV building?

The generic medical advice says it is OK to drive after about 1 week; return to light duties after 2-3 weeks; and avoid strenuous activity for 6 weeks. That would seem to imply that "building on" could resume after 3-6 weeks, and so the project would not need to be mothballed long term. Is that realistic? I would appreciate hearing advice from anyone who has "been there", which could be quite a few of us VAF fellas (based on the statistics).

There's a really good helpful thread on here about flying after cancer, but I couldn't find anything in relation to building. https://vansairforce.net/community/s...light=prostate

Life can throw up some unexpected challenges!
A close friend of mine was on the team that developed the Da Vinci robot; sadly he has subsequently had it used on him. It was an option for me when I was diagnosed with prostate cancer a couple of years ago, though I ultimately chose another treatment. That said, my friend's comment was "what is he waiting for?" Don't let life pass you by. Get to work. You won't be sorry.
960+ hours as of June 30, 2020. Where did the time go?
Old 02-25-2021, 06:42 AM

Default Surgery

Been there and done that although I was done building and flying when I had the surgery. From my experience I can tell you that I was out of the hospital 1 day after surgery and back to work in a week. I am a general contractor but did no heavy lifting. From your signature it looks like you are building a 6 and on the fuselage so I would think that there would be plenty of things to work on while you recover. As for using meds, I was never on any pain med other than Tylenol after I was released from the hospital.
Build on.
Old 02-25-2021, 08:05 AM
Super Moderator

Default DaVincy Surgery

I had a radical prostatectomy via DaVincy robot
Old 02-25-2021, 08:10 AM
Super Moderator

Oops on the previous! I had the robotic surgery 11 years ago at age 66. I never needed any pain meds and recovered very quickly. Two weeks after the surgery I flew my RV7 from Texas to Sun and Fun and spent the week there with no issues. You will be building again in short order. Good luck,

Martin Sutter
Old 02-25-2021, 08:37 AM

Seems like it all "Depends".....

-Marc