- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Keep VAF Going
Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Old 02-06-2021, 08:38 AM

Default Oil drain solutions

Getting the lower cowling off/on on my -7 with a 3 blade prop is a real pain. Not so bad for the condition inspection when there is more engine work to do/check but irritating when just doing a 25 hour oil change.

Anyone implemented a clever solution for lower oil drain plug access (0-360), I have the quick release spring loaded oil drain plug installed.
Thanks
Figs

Last edited by uk_figs : 02-06-2021 at 08:38 AM. Reason: update
Old 02-06-2021, 09:42 AM

Dave,
I don't have a pic, but a friend of mine made his air intake snoot removeable. It took a bit of glass work to make the edges flush-fit with the cowl and looks very nice. Held on with about a dozen screws. Access to oil drain and makes getting cowl off and on much easier.
VAF#812
Old 02-06-2021, 04:51 PM

Can you reach into the lower cowling and put some drain tubing on by feel? It's possible in my -9A, but I've never done it because I'm on 50-hour intervals for oil/filter change, and at that point the cowling comes off for inspection of various bits.
Tail number N427DK
Donation made for 2021
You haven't seen a tree until you've seen its shadow from the sky -- Amelia Earhart
Old 02-07-2021, 01:18 AM

Default vacuum out the oil

I had the same problem with my car - drain hole very hard to access. I bought one of those negative pressure hand pump oil extractors and it works great.

This was many years ago and it still works fine. The technology today seems even better. I might try this sometime with my io360 and then remove the plug to see if it got all the oil.

Not sure how much you fly, but every 25 flight hours probably can't hurt to take off the cowl. I have a 2-blade so it's a bit easier, but definitely not easy. I'm always happy if someone walks by the hangar when I'm about to remove my cowl. Otherwise, I use lots of microfiber cloths in places that might rub the paint. It can be a real yoga exercise to remove the fasteners, hold the cowl in place, ensure that the towels are where I want them to be, nothing getting scratched, etc.

https://www.amazon.com/America-5060T...dp/B001445IZ8/

Last edited by rv8ch : 02-07-2021 at 04:27 AM.
Old 02-07-2021, 01:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rv8ch View Post

Not sure how much you fly, but every 25 flight hours probably can't hurt to take off the cowl. I have a 2-blade so it's a bit easier, but definitely not easy. I'm always happy if someone walks by the hangar when I'm about to remove my cowl. Otherwise, I use lots of microfiber cloths in places that might rub the paint. It can be a real yoga exercise to remove the fasters, hold the cowl in place, ensure that the towels are where I want them to be, nothing getting scratched,
I've found it a bit easier to remove the lower cowling if I am working on my own, by supporting it from underneath with a folding table. I slide the table into position and wad up several towels to support the cowling before undoing the fasteners. Then the table can be slid out and the cowling lowered and removed.
Building RV-6A #22320 O-320 FP. Wings and tail complete, working on fuselage
Flying my Aeroprakt A-22 STOL and the aero club's RV-9A while I build
Old 02-07-2021, 05:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by uk_figs View Post
Getting the lower cowling off/on on my -7 with a 3 blade prop is a real pain. Not so bad for the condition inspection when there is more engine work to do/check but irritating when just doing a 25 hour oil change.

Anyone implemented a clever solution for lower oil drain plug access (0-360), I have the quick release spring loaded oil drain plug installed.
Thanks
Figs
My experience with a now 1300+ hour airplane is that it's worth taking the cowling off every 25 hours and performing a careful firewall forward inspection. There's a lot of vibration up front and insidious little problems start to develop eventually.
RV7, N98DA, TMX-O360, CS, slider
Old 02-07-2021, 06:29 AM

Smile Quick drain

Good Morning Fig, I take the top cowling off, the back pin on the lower right cowling and I can reach the drain with a hose. I tie the hose up with safety wire, put my oil can under the aft cowl with the hose in it and release the quick drain. Try not to burn your arm on the exhaust. I use a long glove to do all of the in cowling stuff.
RV6A owner N6711
L19 sold
ATP/FE/CFI 10 Type Ratings.
Old 02-07-2021, 06:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by texdog View Post
Good Morning Fig, I take the top cowling off, the back pin on the lower right cowling and I can reach the drain with a hose. I tie the hose up with safety wire, put my oil can under the aft cowl with the hose in it and release the quick drain. Try not to burn your arm on the exhaust. I use a long glove to do all of the in cowling stuff.
Fred
Interesting approach I will have to check that out.

The removable snout is also a great idea and a friend of mine did that but a lot of fiberglass work and that was the least fun part of the build for me. The 25 hour inspection is a good point but you can check a lot with just the top cowl off.

The vacuum extract idea is also interesting, probably some practical reason why this would not be more popular (worry about dropping something into the sump!!)
Thanks for the ideas
Figs
Old 02-07-2021, 07:10 AM

I made a rolling stand to fit under the lower cowl and that and Skybolt fasteners makes it fairly easy to remove. I also like to inspect engine compartment every oil change. Found a crack in the exhaust at the flange one time. I have a quick-drain on the slump and that saves time.
Old 02-13-2021, 04:48 PM

This works great!

https://www.harborfreight.com/6-1-4-...tor-46149.html