Keep VAF Going
Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Old 02-16-2021, 01:18 PM

Default Buying a Built RV-12

Hi Everyone,

I'm a student pilot learning in RV-12s and love the aircraft over the traditional C172 and PA28. I've started thinking of buying my own (built) RV-12 to finish training and for short flights around New England after. I prefer an ESLA that I can make upgrades to as time and budget allows later. Does anyone have any advice on what to look for? Where to look? Rules of thumb, cautionary words, etc. Asking prices are a bit inconsistent, so any insights there would be appreciated too.

Thank you!
Old 02-16-2021, 01:50 PM

A good place to start would be with Vic Syracuse's book: "PRE-BUY GUIDE FOR AMATEUR-BUILT AIRCRAFT"

I would avoid non-standard engines (if you stick with E-LSA should not be a problem)

Put a "WTB" ad here in classifieds section

I see RV-12's listed on Barnstormers and Trade-A-Plane, but not much on Controller.

Once you find one you like be sure to make a deal contingent on pre-buy inspection. If you know a builder of any RV but especially a 12 who can look at one with you that's a good start but still you'll be well served by paying an expert for the full pre-buy inspection.

RV-14A built/sold N14VB
RV-12iS in progress as of October 2020

Last edited by mturnerb : 02-16-2021 at 02:05 PM.
Old 02-16-2021, 02:04 PM

Good advice, Turner. I've been on Vic's page and saw the book. Glad to know it's recommended and worth getting.
Old 02-17-2021, 04:49 AM

Default Building one

If you do stick with an E-LSA, it was built to spec. , with only Vans supplied parts, to be certified airworthy. That’s a great starting point. Whether or not they messed with it afterwards, is the unknown.

Last edited by thiggins : 02-17-2021 at 04:08 PM.
Old 02-17-2021, 09:39 AM
Senior Curmudgeon

Default Welcome to VAF

Jose, welcome to VAF

Rv-10, N210LM.

Flying as of 12/4/2010

Phase 1 done, 2/4/2011

Sold after 240+ wonderful hours of flight.

"Flying the airplane is more important than radioing your plight to a person on the ground incapable of understanding or doing anything about it."
Old 02-18-2021, 05:16 AM

Default SLSA?

Heck, maybe check into an S-LSA, the numbers might just work. Then you’re really buying a known quantity. Resale might be much easier too.
Old 02-18-2021, 09:50 AM

I bought a E-LSA, so I could learn to fly in my own plane.

Make sure you are mechanically inclined, if you do so, have good mentors also in the form of fellow Experimental builders and owners at yours or local airports, as well as a good AP for your inspections.

Otherwise, owning and learning to fly can be a lot on your plate at the same time, as the Service Bulletins just keep on coming from Van's, or at least they did for 2020.

62 and brand new to owing and operating any plane. Owning an experimental plane, working on it and maintaining it, and flying it, is a lifestyle.

I've found that the break even point, at least for me with a T hangar at $360/mo, and insurance at $1300, at least last year... is at least 100 hrs of Hobbs time, per year. YMMV. My opinion is if you have to ask how much it's going to cost, the ownership aspect and maintenance, it might be a very expensive or too expensive hobby for you. The $15 to $18 an hour for mogas, here in CA, is the least of the expenses.

I would suggest you solicit here, and what you have to work with, budget wise, for the airplane.

I'd avoid any that have spent much time near salt water or coastal areas, even if stored in a hangar. Salt air invades everything, and does bad things to electronic circuit boards, switches, connectors, you name it, not to mention corrosion on aluminum surfaces. A plane with 150 to 300 hours on it, would probably be ideal, and priced well, to move. That was my criteria, and it took over 18 months for me to find the right one. For me, I wanted a Skyview Classic or newer glass EFIS, with wheel pants and AP, 2020 ADS-B Out and In, because the airport I am at is under Mode C veil of LAX.

If you hang out here, long enough, something good will find you... going out, being in a rush and looking for it, in my experience, was not the best way, for me. You need to be ready to move quickly if a good deal finds you, make your decision and get the money changing hands, good deals do NOT last long around VAF, usually days, or less, if that.

Don't come asking here if something is a good deal, most everyone here is looking for something for nothing, someone else might grab it instead of you.

Randy
2012 RV-12, #212 N72DJ KWHP based.

Last edited by NinerBikes : 02-18-2021 at 10:10 AM.
Old 02-18-2021, 09:54 AM

Does not take long to build one. Could probably get out of it what you pay into it and still get the experience of the build.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jose_Antonio View Post
Hi Everyone,

I'm a student pilot learning in RV-12s and love the aircraft over the traditional C172 and PA28. I've started thinking of buying my own (built) RV-12 to finish training and for short flights around New England after. I prefer an ESLA that I can make upgrades to as time and budget allows later. Does anyone have any advice on what to look for? Where to look? Rules of thumb, cautionary words, etc. Asking prices are a bit inconsistent, so any insights there would be appreciated too.

Thank you!
Old 02-18-2021, 03:01 PM

Default Thank you, Mike and all!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike S View Post
Jose, welcome to VAF

Thank you, Mike and all!
Old 02-18-2021, 03:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NinerBikes View Post
I bought a E-LSA, so I could learn to fly in my own plane.

Make sure you are mechanically inclined, if you do so, have good mentors also in the form of fellow Experimental builders and owners at yours or local airports, as well as a good AP for your inspections.

Otherwise, owning and learning to fly can be a lot on your plate at the same time, as the Service Bulletins just keep on coming from Van's, or at least they did for 2020.

62 and brand new to owing and operating any plane. Owning an experimental plane, working on it and maintaining it, and flying it, is a lifestyle.

I've found that the break even point, at least for me with a T hangar at $360/mo, and insurance at $1300, at least last year... is at least 100 hrs of Hobbs time, per year. YMMV. My opinion is if you have to ask how much it's going to cost, the ownership aspect and maintenance, it might be a very expensive or too expensive hobby for you. The $15 to $18 an hour for mogas, here in CA, is the least of the expenses.

I would suggest you solicit here, and what you have to work with, budget wise, for the airplane.

I'd avoid any that have spent much time near salt water or coastal areas, even if stored in a hangar. Salt air invades everything, and does bad things to electronic circuit boards, switches, connectors, you name it, not to mention corrosion on aluminum surfaces. A plane with 150 to 300 hours on it, would probably be ideal, and priced well, to move. That was my criteria, and it took over 18 months for me to find the right one. For me, I wanted a Skyview Classic or newer glass EFIS, with wheel pants and AP, 2020 ADS-B Out and In, because the airport I am at is under Mode C veil of LAX.

If you hang out here, long enough, something good will find you... going out, being in a rush and looking for it, in my experience, was not the best way, for me. You need to be ready to move quickly if a good deal finds you, make your decision and get the money changing hands, good deals do NOT last long around VAF, usually days, or less, if that.

Don't come asking here if something is a good deal, most everyone here is looking for something for nothing, someone else might grab it instead of you.

Randy
All good advice, Randy. Thank you. On being mechanically inclined, I built an am/fm radio in middle school back in the 80s and have changed my car's oil.

Also, I'm on the opposite coast to you... in equally expensive MA. Can I assume that salt corrosion is something coastal owners, of any aircraft, accept and not something of special concern for RVs?

I've been lining up everything to be able to act quickly, as you suggest. Then, yesterday I get an insurance quote from AOPA for $9,100. The broker said based on being a student on an ELSA. If that's the case, I think I'll be fininishing my training in rentals.