- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Keep VAF Going
Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Old 12-15-2020, 09:31 PM

Default Disgruntled wanna be RV owner

I’ve sent two airplanes to pre buy and have rejected them both.
I’m considering an RV14 or an RV10 now but it just isn’t working out. There aren’t enough on the market, and those that are I guess are not good enough to buy.

Should I stay the course, or perhaps switch to certified (Debonair? A36?) Budget is $200,000.

Frustrated!!
Old 12-15-2020, 09:52 PM

Keep looking. Your in a price range that should get you what you want, especially for an RV-14. I am working with an airport buddy actively seeking an RV-9A. As I remind him, if its not exactly what he wants, if its close enough and priced right, it will give him some room $$ to make it how he wants. He is an AP/AI but not familiar with EXP aircraft. The market seems to be tight at this time with not a lot out there for sale, but that's a good thing in my book!
RV-10: #41686 Under Construction
RV-9A: #90949 Under Construction
RV-10: #40637 Completed/Sold 2016
Cozy MKIV:#656 Completed/Sold 2007
"Donor Exempt" but donated through Dec. 2021
Old 12-15-2020, 09:53 PM
VAF Moderator / Line Boy

No one can give you that answer except yourself....but I can tell you that from what I understand, right now it is a seller’s market for both those models, and good ones frequently sell before they are advertised. You have to be in the right place at the right time to get them.

The question really is if you have the patience to seek them out?
RV-6 (By Marriage) - N164MS - "Mikey"
RV-3B - N13PL - "Tsamsiyu"
A&P, EAA Tech Counselor/Flight Advisor
Dayton Valley Airpark (A34)
http://Ironflight.com
Old 12-16-2020, 12:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironflight View Post
The question really is if you have the patience to seek them out?
+1
I note that your profile says you joined VAF less than 6 months ago and at that time you wanted to build. It’s okay to change your mind. These are big decisions. Whether it’s build, buy an EAB, or a normally certified airplane, take your time, decide what your goals, acceptable and unacceptable things, really are, and what you’re willing or not willing to accept.
Old 12-16-2020, 02:28 AM

Default Too picky?

Mornin’....don’t shoot me just yet but you may be too picky.. I have an RV-10 to sell and was turned down because the ‘glass’ is old school...Dynon 100 and D120.

The airplane has been to the Bahamas three times and is fully sorted. There is a little leading edge paint damage but the airplane is not ‘shabby’.

Consider carefully the value for your dollar. The airplane you pass up may not be a creme puff but a great value. Sometimes we can be a bit ‘picky’.

Cheers,
Building RV-12, Wings, fuse, emp complete. FWF in progress.
Old 12-16-2020, 06:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lemos View Post
I’ve sent two airplanes to pre buy and have rejected them both.
I’m considering an RV14 or an RV10 now but it just isn’t working out. There aren’t enough on the market, and those that are I guess are not good enough to buy.

Should I stay the course, or perhaps switch to certified (Debonair? A36?) Budget is $200,000.

Frustrated!!
Are you working with Donnie (Avengerboss) at KRNM? If there are good RVs in the area for sale he would be the guy that knows about them.

Having said that, you can't go wrong with a Bonanza. Although, things are much more restrictive in the Certificated Aircraft world. (I've owned both RV and Bonanza) IMO, mdl 36s are overpriced, I'd go with a mdl 33 or 35.

Good luck.
Old 12-16-2020, 07:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pierre smith View Post
Mornin’....don’t shoot me just yet but you may be too picky.. I have an RV-10 to sell and was turned down because the ‘glass’ is old school...Dynon 100 and D120.

The airplane has been to the Bahamas three times and is fully sorted. There is a little leading edge paint damage but the airplane is not ‘shabby’.

Consider carefully the value for your dollar. The airplane you pass up may not be a creme puff but a great value. Sometimes we can be a bit ‘picky’.

Cheers,
A little more on what Pierre said.... Lots of pretty glass going in planes these days. But, I'll put overall workmanship ahead of those panels any day.
"All that glitters is not gold."
VAF#812
Old 12-16-2020, 07:06 AM

It took us 4 years, keep searching.
Old 12-16-2020, 07:55 AM

Considering that you are already disgruntled I would recommend a Bonanza.

Ever since I started my RV I have seen an ever increasing influx of none builders into the experimental market. As this is great for our resale values it does lead to a clash of expectations:

A builder looks at an RV he wants to buy as a canvas. If the frame is good the canvas has no holes he can paint on it whatever he wants for the cost of the paint.

A none builder looks at an RV as a painting. If he doesn't like what he sees he needs to hire a painter to paint an entirely new painting over the existing one. Usually that's too expensive so he walks away.

So if you look at things like glass panel. You can build yourself one for 20k$ or you can pay a certified and fully licensed shop to do the same panel for 60k$. So being a builder or a none builder makes a big difference in terms of how much you value the airplane with the older panel.

So coming back to your question. If you evaluate RVs with a builder mindset you will find one. If you look at it as a none builder it will be a long long search and you are better of with a Bonanza.

There is a reason a Cirrus which is comparable to an RV-10 cost twice that ... .

Oliver
http://www.spatscheck.com/oliver
Old 12-16-2020, 08:16 AM

It's up to you but when I was looking for an RV-8, I turned down several and several were sold before I could move on them. And the market wasn't quite as tight as it is now. So advertise that you are looking and keep on looking.

When it comes to glass panels, mine is old and was a little aged when I bought the plane but I considered that a plus. It works.

Panel tech improves by leaps and bounds. So if the plane had the latest and greatest back then, then by now it would be old.

This way when I get up the gumption to re-panel the plane I will have leapfrogged several generations.

I also wanted an airplane with fuel injection. Didn't find one, but if I really decide I want that I can switch to it.

But I have a good airplane where the basics are concerned.

Plus as a non-builder, I've made changes that make the plane "mine". And have more in the works.

To me what's most important is that the plane is structurally sound.

A panel change is no small task. But it's a lot easier than correcting a major structural issue.

Last edited by Saville : 12-16-2020 at 08:20 AM.