What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

CHT

pilotyoung

Well Known Member
On the way home from Petit Jean on Sunday, the right side CHT was going all over the place,up and down, sometimes staying steady, most of the time up and down.

My thoughts are that either the sensor is bad or there is a wiring problem. Has anyone else had this problem? Anyone have any insights as to which it is?

I had a great time at Petit Jean so thanks to all the people who put it on.

Thanks.

First and easiest thing to do is to wiggle / clean the CHT spade where it connects to the cylinder head probe -- as I recall the probe is located under the right rear cylinder head.. Sometimes corrosion builds up at this point and a cleaned connection sets things right. You can also check the wiring and connection for continuity. Sounds like a simple poor connection at the probe to me.

Do troubleshooting per above post. Symptoms you describe are typical EGT failure mode. Correct PN is EGT, Hose Clamp, 0.75-1.25", Rotax SKU: #100405-001. Can purchase direct from Dynon for $36.

Yes..

I had that happen. I would unplug and clean the connectors, and it would be good for a bit and then do it again. Out of frustration, I cut the connectors off and soldered the wires together. Has not happened since doing that.... knock on wood....

A friend of mine had used successfully the wooden stiffener wrapped with wetted fiberglass cloth but had waxed the gear leg so the fiberglass does not adhere to it and allow it to flex as it needs. He was very happy with the results.

Question

A friend of mine had used successfully the wooden stiffener wrapped with wetted fiberglass cloth but had waxed the gear leg so the fiberglass does not adhere to it and allow it to flex as it needs. He was very happy with the results.

May just be me but I cannot fathom what this has to do with CHT connections.

The wooden stiffener wrapped with wetted fiberglass cloth is used to wax the gear leg and EGT probe.

The wax melts off the probe at first engine start and you might get a little paraffin whiff in the cabin... :D

I thought I knew what a gear leg stiffener , CHT and EGT was , but . That' s why I like VAF , You can learn something new everyday! :D

I love my D180/D100 combo, but in 7 years and almost 1000 hours I?ve gone through 3 EGT probes, 1 oil pressure probe, and an 1 EMS card. Seems like a lot considering I?ve put 3000 hours on my Cherokee 180 in 33 years and never had any engine sensor or display failure.

Back