Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Go Back   VAF Forums > Main > RV Ongoing Maintenance Issues
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 06-10-2019, 09:00 PM

It's not tight yet pipe threads are a somewhat interference fit tighten it another turn and 3/4.
Old 06-10-2019, 10:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxrate View Post
1/8? correct Tom. My problem is the geometry. Here is a pic. When the reservoir is tight it?s almost at a 90* angle. I?ve tried wrapping Teflon tape but if you bump it it moves. This ones got me stumped. I like the idea of locktite and a jamnut but am concerned about the seal.

As mentioned, a jam nut does not work with NPT. It will not seal well; It is a tapered thread and you must force it in if you want it to seal. If you can turn it by bumping it, it is WAY loose. NPT threads get tightened with much greater force than your typical AN3 bolt.

Larry
Old 06-11-2019, 05:04 AM

I have found that Loctite 567 sealant not only seals well but makes it very hard to remove once cured (24 hrs). Thread lockers like the red, are the similar anaerobic materials, but with higher strength. Green as better wicking and medium strength, not likely what you want. Access the hot link.

I think I would try the standard 567, rotate to the correct position 3/4 past where you show, let it sit for 24 hrs to yield full strength, and then decide. Test with some known torque and if it does not move, then install. The 567 has some teflon so it is unlikely to gall. Just an opinion.

It seems the only other simple choice would be high strength epoxy, but the Loctite might just have better shear strength anyway. The Loctite TDS does not give shear strength, but a breakaway torque several times higher than installation torque.

RV-7
Lord Kelvin:
I often say that when you can measure what you are speaking about,
and express it in numbers, you know something about it; but when you
cannot measure it, when you cannot express it in numbers, your knowledge
is of a meager and unsatisfactory kind.
Closed Thread