What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Light speed Tango

The RV'er in the video is George Ford ("Cipher" on the forum) and he tested the unit before release. I am sure he would offer his perspective if asked.

Upgrade Path

Is Lightspeed offering an upgrade path to the Tango? I looked on their website and it didn't look like the Tango was included in the current upgrade offers.

Is Lightspeed offering an upgrade path to the Tango? I looked on their website and it didn't look like the Tango was included in the current upgrade offers.

In the past, they have had an upgrade to every new headset after a period of time passes. Could be as soon as 3-months or as long as 9-months.

The bigger question will be will they let me upgrade my Zulu PFX for the Tango?

ANR is pulled from the Sierra line, not the PFX

Caveat emptor- you may be downgrading if getting this from an a20, Bose X, or Zulu 1/2

The big advantage of lithium is that if you charge it and leave it for 3 months it will be virtually still charged. These batteries don't self discharge like nicads or nimh batteries.

ANR is pulled from the Sierra line, not the PFX

Caveat emptor- you may be downgrading if getting this from an a20, Bose X, or Zulu 1/2

My PFX sucks so it would not be a downgrade. PFX has been back to the factory because ANR was not working twice in less than twelve months.

I just assumed they would, this will be the third Lightspeed upgrade I have made over several years. I have been a long time supporter of Lightspeed on this website. I also have one Bose headset. At least for me the Lightspeed has always outperformed the Bose and the quality has also been superior. On the Bose the ear muff just dissolved and the head band snapped off one of the ear pieces. I plan to call them today and hopefully get the upgrade on my two headsets.

Last edited:
My PFX sucks so it would not be a downgrade. PFX has been back to the factory because ANR was not working twice in less than twelve months.

if lightspeed is listening, i was never tempted to buy a PFX due to the size of the brick attached to the cable, and the price point- no thanks

For the Zulu, you are forced to have the mic boom and cord on your left ear due to the way the ANR is configured. That's fine for the left side pilot, but for the copilot, that means the cord hangs across their body and lap assuming that it plugs in on the right side of the panel where most of us have it. The Tango eliminates this drawback.

erich

I was corrected by LightSpeed Aviation Rep- it is based on the Zulu 2 ANR, not the Sierra

this has me interested again-EDIT: I just ordered one

Last edited:
Talked with Lightspeed today. They plan on offering the upgrade program on the Tango next April at the earliest. That's disappointing as I was about to order two of them. Looks like I will wait until April/May 2016.

I am sure their competition will be producing something similar before the upgrade program kicks in but I have always been a Lightspeed fan.

Last edited:
Hello Lightspeed Aviation!

Hello Lightspeed, anybody home in the marketing department?

Clearly you guys need a new marketing director! Sure, you'll get some buyers for the Tango but you are passing up an entire market, and, more importantly, a group of promoters by not offering an immediate upgrade path to current owners of your previous products. Seriously, this is marketing 101. You NEVER alienate your current customer base. Hey, we already bought and most of us like your products. You want us singing your praises. This isn't the path.

I'm an original Zulu owner. My headset is old and a little tired. I'd like to upgrade. Am I going to toss it in the trash? Not likely. If you want MY business Lightspeed, you need to provide an upgrade path to your most desirable products. Hey, if your current offerings had been compelling enough, I'd have already made my move. They weren't, but the Tango flips my switch. If you want to capture me, and like owners, you need to offer an upgrade path.

Marketing 101 - give me a call Lightspeed. I'll be happy to help.

So I just got my set and I have been wearing them for about an hour. First impression is sadly not that good. The sound quality is good, about the same as the zulu 2's as far as I can tell. The ANR feel's about the same around the house and with the TV on loud. What I don't like, the fit is completely different from the Zulu 2's which fit me so well. In addition they are much heavier, any side to side motion and you can definitely feel them. So far they are also really sensitive to having a good seal. I typically fly with a hat on and if the seal is off just a little, it creates this odd low frequency resonance due to the air pressure. The manual warns against this. Maybe I am just spoiled by the weight and feel of the Zulu 2's, but they definetly feel better. I will have a chance to fly with the tango's this weekend as long as the weather holds out and will give an updated review. I will also leave them clamped on something head sized, maybe they need to break in a bit.

I understand that Lightspeed probably needs to recoup some of its NRE cost with each new product and I assume that's why they wait a few months to offer the trade up program. Just bad timing, I already had the wife convinced that I could order these for Christmas, hopefully she will still be agreeable to a large expense in April or May. In the meantime both my Zulu headsets are great.

Cordless Market

The other one; similar technology; out longer:

http://www.wirelessaviationheadsets.com/

$800 here:

http://www.mypilotstore.com/mypilotstore/sep/9148

Looks like the cordless headset market is heating up nicely. Sun ?N Fun and Oshkosh might be interesting. I am also surprised that Lightspeed is not offering some sort of upgrade program for their current customers right now. Heaven help them if (when) Bose, AKG, Sennheiser, David Clark, and the other main players jump in.

one less option now....

The other one; similar technology; out longer:

http://www.wirelessaviationheadsets.com/

$800 here:

http://www.mypilotstore.com/mypilotstore/sep/9148

Looks like the cordless headset market is heating up nicely. Sun ?N Fun and Oshkosh might be interesting. I am also surprised that Lightspeed is not offering some sort of upgrade program for their current customers right now. Heaven help them if (when) Bose, AKG, Sennheiser, David Clark, and the other main players jump in.

sadly Sennheiser just pulled out of the aviation headset game. Too bad, I like thier other audio offerings, especially when they go on sale for half price, when the new, uber version comes out.
hmmmm, seems I follow a different 'upgrade path' than some of the marketing would assume!

For the Zulu, you are forced to have the mic boom and cord on your left ear due to the way the ANR is configured. That's fine for the left side pilot, but for the copilot, that means the cord hangs across their body and lap assuming that it plugs in on the right side of the panel where most of us have it. The Tango eliminates this drawback.
#firstworldproblems

I'm amazed that people would spend good money to eliminate this "problem". The cord on my Zulu is long enough to plug in on the panel, run down the outside of the fuselage, and around behind the head of the right-seat passenger to the ear cup.

I wouldn't trade the drawbacks of a cordless headset for the minor inconvenience of the cable. What I have paid money for, is the LEMO jacks for the panel, so I don't need to replace batteries in my Zulu. Now all I need is some spare time to install them...

Back