What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

5 year rubber alternatives

Seagull - did you remove the springs from your old hoses and install in new silicone ones? Is it ok to put metal springs in silicone hoses (are they tough enough?)

Also, did you safety wire the 54205K17 clamps at all or do they stay tensioned in vibration on their own?

I used the original spring. I bent the raw end inward to be sure it would not ever touch the silicone. If you twist the spring in the direction to reduce its diameter while installing it goes much easier. I did not use any safety wire on any of the clamps.

I reused my spring four years ago. No issues to date. If you pour detergent into the hose as a lubricant it makes the spring go in easier. Just give it a good flush before installing the hose.

The spring goes in easier if you soak the hose is hot water to expand it slightly. Lubricated the spring with anti-freeze coolant. I used new rubber hose supplied in Van’s rubber replacement kit. They are Gates and also available at NAPA stores. I don’t know if the hot water trick will work with the silicon hoses.

Last edited:
I finished installing the new Silicone High Performance Heater Hoses today. I did not use a molded elbow hose for the top of the #3 cylinder. Instead, I added the Goodyear E-Z Coil to keep the top hose a nice smooth radius. The external coil prevents hose collapse…
-

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-03-23 at 1.59.49 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2021-03-23 at 1.59.49 PM.jpg
    217.5 KB · Views: 182
  • Screen Shot 2021-03-23 at 2.10.32 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2021-03-23 at 2.10.32 PM.jpg
    305 KB · Views: 202
  • Screen Shot 2021-03-23 at 2.10.18 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2021-03-23 at 2.10.18 PM.jpg
    345.8 KB · Views: 203
Preparing for coolant hose replacement...

I'm collecting parts (thanks to all of you and your willingness to share info!) to change out the cooling system hoses on my -12. The plan is to use silicone as many have detailed here.

I didn't have the benefit of building my airplane so I've never been through the process.

Can anyone outline anything unique to the process that may not be obvious or takes a bit of effort but makes the job generally easier? ie- things you wish you had known ahead of time or didn't see coming. Stuff you removed and didn't really need to?

For example, is there a need to loosen and/or remove the intake manifolds to get at the clamps for the topside hoses?

Thanks!

Use a good cable-operated hose clamp removal tool. I didn't and it made the job harder, particularly around the back of the engine. I didn't have to remove the manifolds but one hose was tough going.

If you have fiberglass cooling shroud it can be removed in conjunction with top hose replacement. That's what I did...

If you have fiberglass cooling shroud it can be removed in conjunction with top hose replacement. That's what I did...

Mine does have the fiberglass shroud, this is a new one on me as far as removing it. Would you be kind enough to elaborate the reason for sending it walking or maybe point me at more info. I'm guessing Van's put it there for a reason, but I'm new to the -12 and Rotaxes.

Thanks for the reply!

Last edited:
Mine still has the shroud. I didn't bother to remove it because it was too much work. As I understand it, Vans designed the shroud to replace Rotax's own very expensive one, but eventually found by experience that it wasn't really needed in the 12, so it was deleted from the later kits.

Anyone already using the silicone reinforced hoses instead of using the springs? Available in 1"

siliconen-slang-met-stalen-spiraal-blauw-dn-25mm-l-1500mm_1210x1210_20902.jpg

Back