-Advertise in here!
- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Keep VAF Going
Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Old 03-18-2021, 06:04 PM

I own a Primeweld 225 and it works fine. Lots of dials to play with.
You do need to learn how to run it.
I just welded a heavy 02 sensor bung onto my .035 Stainless Steel exhaust pipes for my RV-6A. 50 Amps and Argon flood in and out.
Learning curve ahead. Practice Practice and then weld.
Oh ya I think they are about $900.00 on Amazon. I use a cart from Harbour Freight for $100.00
Argon is ouch where you find it. And of course you need filler rod another flow regulator and a T for the line.
Great reviews for a machine of this price.
Hey it's just money.
Art
Old 03-18-2021, 06:48 PM

You might want to to look at Miller or Lincoln factory refurbs as well. The Miller guy told me most of theirs spent 1 year at a trade school and are then run through the refurb program. I bought a mig at Oshkosh and it looked like new, came with a warranty, but was quite a bit cheaper.
Old 03-18-2021, 07:57 PM

Just like any other tool, how much you depend on it, and the results you are looking for will for sure play into what you can get away with and thus price.

I've owned Red and Blue Tig machines, and the Blue is significantly better. These days I sport a Miller Dynasty DX 210. It's very expensive, but also works really really well.

Before I bought it I tried the ESAB, but the machine just wasn't that great. The menu's had software glitches and the fan ran at full speed regardless if you were welding at 8 amps or 80 amps.

Anyway, here is what you care about:

Inverter or Transformer. The Transformer tig machines are huge and heavy, the inverter machines are light and portable. Inverter machines usually have dual voltage input while you will need 220 service for a transformer based machine.

AC/DC: The AC models can weld aluminum as well as steel. The DC only models can only weld steel.

AC wave control: Some AC models can do a sine wave, or square wave, or change the frequency of the wave.

Duty Cycle. The higher the duty cycle the longer you can use it before it overheats. This isn't an issue with 4130 aircraft tubing, but when working with thicker aluminum, it matters.

Service/support. I wouldn't touch a harbor freight tig, but I've heard people getting decent service out of Everlast, and of course Miller and Lincoln are the gold standard.

So, a base model with 60% duty cycle at 200 amps that can weld aluminum but doesn't have any ability to control the wave can be something like this:

https://www.everlastgenerators.com/p...powertig-200dv

Which is pretty similar to the Lincoln Square wave 200.

A step up would be this guy that has 60% duty cycle at 250amps that has all of the nice aluminum features:

https://www.everlastgenerators.com/p...owertig-255ext

The Miller which is a much nicer unit, but not technically any more featureful is this one:

https://www.millerwelds.com/equipmen...0-480-v-907686

Personally I'd get a Powertig 255ext or the miller depending on budget and how much you depend on it.

schu
Old 03-18-2021, 09:27 PM

Get a gas welder with good tips and learn how to use it. Does a great job with 4130 tube and has so many other uses. ie. heating tools to bend them. Heating nuts to unfreeze. Brazing. Etc

Moving 3B to hangar soon for final assembly. KCVH
Old 03-19-2021, 07:08 AM

Default Pro Tig 205 vs Primeweld 225

Anyone done a comparison between the Pro Tig 205 and the Primeweld 225 when it comes to aluminum welding?

I see that the Primeweld 225 comes with the CK Pulse CK17 Flex Torch and Cable recommended as an upgrade in the Pro Tig 205 reviews. List price is also $250 lower.

Finn
Old 03-19-2021, 07:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinnFlyer View Post
Anyone done a comparison between the Pro Tig 205 and the Primeweld 225 when it comes to aluminum welding?

I see that the Primeweld 225 comes with the CK Pulse CK17 Flex Torch and Cable recommended as an upgrade in the Pro Tig 205 reviews. List price is also $250 lower.

Finn
Shoulf find some online. From my research, the 225 is the best value in the imports, especially whey you consider warranty. Primeweld has a 3 year warranty and will cover shipping of the bad unit. Feature wise, it is really not missing anything and the experience / reviews are very positive. The HTP stuff seems to be at a better level of quality, but double the price and the red/blue are 4X price.

Someone mentioned duty cycle. The 225 is pretty good. I think it is 100% at 140 amps and 30% at 225. As a hobbyist, this is pretty good. Fan does run at full blast, but it doesn't bother me.

Larry

Last edited by lr172 : 03-19-2021 at 07:30 AM.
Old 03-19-2021, 07:35 AM

Default +1 for Primeweld 225

I recently purchased a Primeweld 225 and have been very happy with it. I couldn't see the value in paying a premium for the equivalent red or blue machine. Warranty and service support are also on par.
Slow build kit #40874
Homebuilt Kit Champion Oshkosh 2019
Atlantic crossings: 2
Old 03-19-2021, 02:57 PM

I have both red and blue. My red is a tig200. I am not happy with the tig200, especially for aluminum. The arc is nice, but on aluminum the machine is a bit too smart and shuts off unless you give it a lot of amps to get going, which if you are doing thin stuff doens't work well.