Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Go Back   VAF Forums > Model Specific > RV-9/9A
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-18-2021, 09:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve View Post
Not that my insurance company was staffed by moonlighting Van's engineers, but they were perfectly fine with me building 5 hours time-in-type using a -6A before they insured my -9A. Their thinking was the two planes are similar enough. That was back in '08.
And I did 5 hours in an RV10 for transition training to my 9A 5 years ago - AIG insurance considered that close enough.
Built an off-plan RV9A with too much fuel and too much HP. Should drop dead any minute now.
Old 03-18-2021, 11:28 AM

For me, 6 months ago...AIG wanted two hours of dual before I could solo and one hour of solo before I could take passengers. For that, they did specify that it had to be a 9A, but they did agree to insure my CFI on the policy based on his 4400 TT and many hours in a -6A
AFS 5400/3500, G5, 430W, some other stuff

Last edited by MacCool : 03-18-2021 at 11:33 AM.
Old 03-18-2021, 12:32 PM

Default Speed in a -9

I had both these experiences when transitioning! I'm wondering if the latter is because with the bubble canopy, there aren't as many reference points for subconsciously watching the world whip by. Just a theory.

I should add that the -9's low speed handling is amazing to me. My buddy owns a 120, and couldn't believe how well the -9A handled at 60 knots. Airplane designers learned a lot 50+ years.

Biggest issue transitioning for me was dealing with how quickly the -9 gains or loses altitude in cruise. Combination of weight and speed I suppose. The Warrior never surprised me that way, the -9A was always trying to. Took a while to get used to.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed_Wischmeyer View Post
You might also notice that after flying at cruise speed, the sensations of flying at pattern speed are that you're flying really slowly.

You may also find that judging airspeed in the pattern without looking at the airspeed indicator is harder than in other airplanes. I've observed this in some other RV-9 pilots, and it took me a while to be able to judge speeds in the -9. Then again, when I got my -9A, I was just starting to fly again after 8 months off recovering from extremely invasive spinal surgery.
2021 Dues Paid
Old 03-18-2021, 01:36 PM

My 9A varies in landing speeds a lot by weight. When I am really light 60 over the fence is good. At full fuel or weight its 67-70 all day. I never flare the bird. Just hold the nose a few degrees above the mains and let it set down. The 9A lands smoother and easier than any other bird I have flown. Crosswinds are a piece of cake too with that big rudder. What a hoot this plane is!
Old 03-19-2021, 03:42 AM

the 9A will continue to grow in it's popularity because it is an honest bird, easy to fly and does a lot of things well.

Simplicity is the art in design.
I was born an airplane nut. I have no explanation for it.
My Artwork is freely given and published and cannot be patented.
www.rvplasticparts.com
Old 03-19-2021, 04:05 AM

Quote:
the 9A will continue to grow in it's popularity because it is an honest bird, easy to fly and does a lot of things well.
and so do the other RV models

DC aka Dan

http://www.aerofun.ch

RV-6.9 #25685, slider, O-360-A3A (carb/dual Lightspeed II), MTV-12-B, HB-YLL owner & lover
RV-4 #2062 HB-YVZ airframe builder
Old 03-19-2021, 06:12 AM

Default Speed

For my -9, I slow downwind just enough to add some flaps then add some power, over the numbers full flaps on calm day or max lift flaps on windy day and bleed power off with nose pointed downward. Level off and let her settle. Use the same approach with the twin. Seems to work ok. If I wait till final to get into the flap speed band, itís not going to happen before the numbers if I maintain a stabilized approach. I liked the -6 for the higher induced drag spot landing technique. However, the -9 is a sweetheart as long as you respect that high aspect wing.

RV-3 Sold
RV-4 Sold
RV-6a Sold
RV-9 Lycoming with CS, Built and Flying
1976 Aerostar 600A, Bucket-list twin
Old 03-19-2021, 12:19 PM

https://youtu.be/BU-0_HHlUlM

Maybe this will help!
Old 03-20-2021, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rvbuilder2002 View Post
The RV-9(A) isn't "more slippery" than and RV-6(A).
The big difference is that the 9(A) with it's higher aspect ratio wing has less of an induced drag change with changes in AOA.

In simpler terms, the short wing RV's, particularly the 3, 4 & 6, have a large increase in induced drag as the AOA increases. This is particularly evident in the round out and flair if a full nose up flare attitude is attained for a normal minimum speed landing. Which means as the nose comes up in the flare, the speed bleeds off relatively quickly.

On the 9(A), the induced drag influence from increasing AOA is less, so excess speed in the round-out and flare will take longer to dissipate.
How similar or dis similar are the landing characteristics between a RV-9A and a RV-12?
2012 RV-12, #212 N72DJ KWHP based.
Old 03-20-2021, 11:25 AM

Default Petes Video

Watch Pete's awesome video and then compare it to your RV12 landings. Or if, not flying yet, maybe a 12 driver will put their .02 in.
Worlds longest RV build...but getting there