Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Go Back   VAF Forums > Main > RV Building Tips/Techniques
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-10-2021, 09:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhatRV View Post
Leave more room on the right side of the EMS (Looking from pic#1) so you have the room for the CHT, EGT, and other sensor connector. These two connector have the most wire in your avionic layout.

The remote transponder and radio units should be move up to make room for the spring loaded mounting bracket.
Spring-loaded mounting bracket? Hmm. Didn't know about this. Can you lead me to a drawing or plan showing dimensions?
Slo Fuse Completed 3-2-21
Wiring and Avionics Begun 3-3-21
QB Wings delayed until ?
Finish Kit expected 7-21
Thunderbolt EXP119 expected 7-21
2021 Dues Paid
Reserved: N52XL
Old 03-10-2021, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl Froehlich View Post
Consider leaving a blank space in the center section to add a IFR GPS navigator down the road.

Carl
Good point. Although I have no plans to fly IFR, the next owner might. I cleared out some items from the center, but left the COMM radio, unless I need that room, also. How deep would an IFR GPS navigator intrude into the sub panel?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Subpanel Model Top View.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	267.1 KB
ID:	9230  
QB Wings delayed until ?
Finish Kit expected 7-21
2021 Dues Paid
Old 03-10-2021, 09:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RV10Pilot View Post
The biggest thing is to make sure you have enough room for the d-subs connectors. At times is seems like the d-subs take up more space than the instrument. But it looks like you already know that.

Are you sure you need 2 hubs? The HDX, A/P controller and radio panel have 2 SV-Net connections.
I think I need two. One is filled (5 dSubs) and the other has 3 dSubs. The diagram shows how everything goes together, I think. If you see a way to eliminate one of the hubs, let me know, I could use the space. There is one open position for a network connection on the right display, but there are two connections (servos) that need homes.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Wiring Diagram 3-10-2021.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	292.0 KB
ID:	9231  
QB Wings delayed until ?
Finish Kit expected 7-21
2021 Dues Paid
Old 03-10-2021, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockitdoc View Post
Spring-loaded mounting bracket? Hmm. Didn't know about this. Can you lead me to a drawing or plan showing dimensions?
You need to have allowance for the retainer latch to fold out or down in order to remove the radio or the transponder for maintenance. This is the view of the avionic tray on my RV8 before all the connector. There is room in the back of the radio and transponder for the latch to fold down for removing the equipment. The EMS has the CHT/EGT connectors facing out to facilitate the routing of the thick engine monitor wire bundles. The ADSB is small that there was no problem with the DB9 connector.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	temp.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	243.1 KB
ID:	9232  
Avionics Installation -- 90%
Firewall Forward -- Prep for cowl install
Electrical -- 90%

Donation paid through 2021
Old 03-10-2021, 12:28 PM

I just spoke to Dynon about another subject but they told me the remote transponder and remote transceiver boxes should be mounted as close to their respective antennae as possible to minimize the amount of coaxial cable between antenna and box. That means neither of these electronics boxes need be behind the panel, in fact, should be out in the fuselage close to the antennae. Is this what most builders do? If so, I would be interested in photos of how and where the electronics got mounted.

It solves one problem by uncrowding the sub panel, but raises another with where to put the electronics in the fuse.
QB Wings delayed until ?
Finish Kit expected 7-21
2021 Dues Paid
Old 03-10-2021, 03:13 PM

Quote:
I think I need two. One is filled (5 dSubs) and the other has 3 dSubs. The diagram shows how everything goes together, I think. If you see a way to eliminate one of the hubs, let me know, I could use the space. There is one open position for a network connection on the right display, but there are two connections (servos) that need homes.
You have 2 open SV-Net ports. One on HDX2 and one on the knob panel. If you fill them all then you can eliminate the one hub, but all the ports would be full. A hub is not very expensive and if it simplifies the wire routing then use it. It is my preference to connect the AHARS directly to one screen (as you have done) and the EMS to the other screen. I don't know if there is much logic to it but it makes me feel more comfortable that the 2 more important components go directly to the screen.
Old 03-10-2021, 03:18 PM

Default SV Network Cables

If you purchase one 30' long SV network cable from Dynon, you can cut it up to the lengths you want and attach the pins and dsubs to the ends. It will give you a high quality cable at a fraction of the Dynon cost.
Old 03-10-2021, 04:55 PM

Quote:
You have 2 open SV-Net ports. One on HDX2 and one on the knob panel. If you fill them all then you can eliminate the one hub, but all the ports would be full. A hub is not very expensive and if it simplifies the wire routing then use it. It is my preference to connect the AHARS directly to one screen (as you have done) and the EMS to the other screen. I don't know if there is much logic to it but it makes me feel more comfortable that the 2 more important components go directly to the screen.
Actually, I am not using the knob panel (I should have revised the plan shown), I will put in the Intercom Panel instead. It doesn't have a network port. But, I agree, the hubs are cheap, and it gives me more flexibility in routing wires.
QB Wings delayed until ?
Finish Kit expected 7-21
2021 Dues Paid
Old 03-10-2021, 05:04 PM

Quote:
If you purchase one 30' long SV network cable from Dynon, you can cut it up to the lengths you want and attach the pins and dsubs to the ends. It will give you a high quality cable at a fraction of the Dynon cost.
Heck of a good idea. Thanks. I need 7 of the 1.5' cables. So, one 20' cable will do it. That's $70 vs $350. I owe you a beer or three. Plus, now I get to practice with my cool dSub crimping tool.
QB Wings delayed until ?
Finish Kit expected 7-21
2021 Dues Paid
Old 03-10-2021, 05:57 PM

Quote:
Actually, I am not using the knob panel (I should have revised the plan shown), I will put in the Intercom Panel instead. It doesn't have a network port. But, I agree, the hubs are cheap, and it gives me more flexibility in routing wires.
Strongly recommend getting the Knob Panel. This is used more than anything else.

Carl