What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Any Experience with Aircraft Specialties Services?

Ironflight

VAF Moderator / Line Boy
Mentor
Well, when you fly your airplanes enough eventually, something is goign to come due for an overhaul. It?s probably time to do the engine on our RV-6, and since it is currently hanging from a hoist because we?re doing an engine mount repair, I am thinking of overhauling it before it goes back on. I?ve got plenty of engine building experience, but always from a ?box-O-parts?, ready to assemble - so this time, I have to find a shop to do all of the inspections.

So that looks, to me, like I am going to be shipping stuff to Tulsa - for some reason, the nexus of engine machine shops. I don?t have any direct experience with any of them, so thought I?d see if anyone here Has worked with Aircraft Specialties Services, or has any others to recommend because of great service, quick response time, and/or good prices. I am assuming the case will have to go to Divco, so any recent experience with them you?d like to relate would also be appreciated.

I?ve got four brand new cylinder assemblies in sealed boxes just sitting here already, so top end of stuff is already covered.

Paul

Hey Paul,

I'm planning on diving into a -540 rebuild soon and plan to use Aircraft Specialties/Divco as well. Most A&P shops in the central area use them and I really haven't heard anything negative. Seems like 'all is normal working with them' is a good thing. I know that another -10 builder is currently using them and communication has been good and prices seem fair/normal. Barrett is right next door to both shops.

Last edited:
It's been a few years since I used them, but I have nothing but good to say about Divco and Aircraft Specialty Services.

Aircraft Specialties Services, recommended.

Divco? Ahhhh, well...not so much.

Aircraft Specialties Services are wonderful to deal with.. I also used Crankcase Services in OK when I overhauled my IO-540. New cylinder power assemblies also came from Aircraft Specialties Services with excellent pricing.

Offhand, I don't know. Right now I'd be in the boat with you, checking around.

Where to send the case then?

I don't know if Lycon will just do cases? The big plus with them would be the o-ring seal at the case faces rather than the old silk thread trick. The downside is that unless you are a racer or an airshow pilot, you go to the back of the line and the wait can be 10X what they initially quote. Citing direct experience here. They do great work if you can get them to do it.

Aircraft Specialties in Tulsa is the gold standard.

I'm sending some O-320 parts to Airworx in Brewton, AL next week to give them a try.

Crankcase

Crankcase services was my choice, 6 weeks lead time. Got
a tour of the facilities, to the roof with ready cases. Nice folks too.

Krhea
RV7
O-320D2A
2020 dues

Tulsa

I?ve dealt with Aircraft Specialties and Divco on 50+ engines over a lot of years and have been very satisfied with both. I will happily continue to deal with them.

Don Broussard
RV9 Rebuild in Progress
57 Pacer

Aircraft OH

I?ve done 4-5 engines in the past few years using Aircraft Specialties and Crankcase Services

Both have given outstanding service. In fact, Crankcase Services recently performed a case mod I needed at no charge since( to them) it was a small procedure

:)

Thanks for the quick responses everyone! I spent some time on the phone with Aircraft Specialties, and I was very happy with the process, as everyone seems to be - so we’ll get started on this new little project...

Paul

Crankcase services has done several cases for me, no better place. They even punched out the cylinder holes 1/4" in a 290 D2 case for me so I could bolt narrow deck 320 cylinders on it. They know their stuff. If you call, tell Harold Bob Holliston said hi.

Divco, Aircraft Specialties, Rick Romans and Barrett Performance Engines are all next door to each other in a line on Sheridan Road in Tulsa. They do business with each other and it's kind of a coordinated line up of businesses.

I had Barrett do my RV-8 engine last year and Monty Jr. and Rhonda were simply outstanding. I was very pleased with the results although the wait is as long or longer than LyCon. Botique engine shops take their time.

Jim

Back