What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Mountain Flying

jerpo1

Hello everyone,

I just got back from a ski trip in Vail, Colorado and absolutely loved it! I am now looking to make a return trip to the Rockies in my RV10 and fly into Leadville airport and stay and ski at Copper Mountain. My plane is a simple VFR plane and I am a low time pilot(200 hours). Any tips and advice is appreciated. Any suggestions for sight seeing and things to do are also appreciated! I am a flatlander in Missouri so this is a West trip for us. Thanks!

Last edited:
Leadville

I rented a C182 at Rocky Mountain Metro a few years go and flew to Leadville. Generally, you will want to make the trip in and out of the mountains early in the day. Before noon. The mountains start making more weather later in the day. Do not go up there overloaded. I went in the middle of the summer with 2 other men in the plane. I used more pavement than I ever have. You will have to climb out in a circle for a little while to gain enough altitude to make it out of the valley. Should not be as bad in cool weather. If it is forecast IFR for the route. Don't go. Ice will only make things worse... Just my 2 cents. Have fun!

Don?t forget to lean for best power for take off - but watch CHTs too. (Assuming the usual density altitude over 5000?)

Longer takeoff rolls

I flew into/out of Leadville just to get my certificate last year. One thing that I would like to remind you of is....your takeoff roll will be longer than you are used to. Don't force it to fly, or you will "take off" several times before you can actually sustain lift. I may go back sometime and do it again just because my takeoff was so poor. :eek:

There's got to be any number of mountain flying videos out there. I won't repeat what will be in them, but be real careful.

When I lived in Arizona and was based at 5000, my trusty old Cessna had trouble getting above 11,000 on a hot day. When I was making a trip to the midwest, instead of going over the Rockies through passes at 11,000, I detoured.

And I had a friend who crashed in Colorado at 12000 feet when he followed the wrong road up a box canyon after declining advice from a local pilot to take a lower elevation pass. Ceiling and visibility may have been factors.. At least his passenger survived.

Better to have folks talking about how you're too cautious rather than talking about what a great guy you were...

Ed

Last edited:
I fly into KAEJ just S of Leadville in the RV-10

I highly recommend the Colorado pilots association weekend mountain flying course. A day of ground school and a day of flying with an instructor and you will be far more comfortable.

Much better and safer than reading about it. Not saying you can?t do it safely that way, but the course is great.

Tips and advice

Best advice is to plan to spend some time on the front range, seek out local area clubs that have mountain flying courses available (there are several), and attend one.

You need a healthy dose of ground instruction in addition to flight instruction specifically covering mountain flying to be safe and competent in the mountains. Most courses are a half day a day or more of ground school and at least 2-3 hours of mountain flying. You can probably also find someone that would be willing to do the training flight with you in your airplane.

Most local clubs and schools here require pilots to have a completely separate and additional checkout just for mountain flying, and I would strongly recommend that you do the same, especially if you intend to fly in the terrain in and around Leadville.

if you plan to ski then you will be flying in the winter, and winter conditions are a bit different that summer flying. Density altitude issues, especially in an RV-10, will be less of a concern. But high winds, mountain waves (lenticular clouds), turbulence, rotor clouds, wind shear, and of course winter weather issues pertaining to clouds, ice, snow, reduced visibility, and mountain obscuration are the usual things one has to be mindful of in the winter. Time of day (morning vs. afternoon) is also less of a consideration during the winter. Instead, your concerns will be flying in daylight hours only, and flying when the weather conditions dictate it is safe to fly, which in some cases may mean flying in the afternoon as opposed to going in the morning. Survival gear is something else that you will need to consider when loading your aircraft for the trip.

If you have never had any mountain flying training or taken a course on it, this is the best advice I have for you. As previously mentioned, videos will provide some of this information, but the best advice for you is to get some local training first, from pilots that have the experience and the knowledge required, before you head up to our beautiful high country on your own.

I am a 26 year veteran search and rescue pilot for the Civil Air Patrol, and in that capacity I have experienced some of the best and the worst that the Colorado mountains have to offer here in Colorado. Winter mountain flying is most certainly do-able and enjoyable if done under the right circumstances and conditions. Proper training and experience will definitely get you there.

Last edited:
Google then read the FAA?s P-8740-60 AFS-803 Tips on Mountain Flying. You can find it for free with the FAA Aviation Safety Program. It?s a great starting point for your trip.

Myles
RV-4

Attend the Colo Pilot's Assn seminar and flight training. PERIOD.
There is no better, except 200+ hrs' personal instruction from a master mountain terrain pilot -- including flying search patterns at 400' -800' AGL conforming to the terrain [looking for those that didn't get proper instruction].
CPA's people are experts at teaching what you need, no BS, no macho - just looking to keep you alive.
DO IT.

Hello everyone,

I just got back from a ski trip in Vail, Colorado and absolutely loved it! I am now looking to make a return trip to the Rockies in my RV10 and fly into Leadville airport and stay and ski at Copper Mountain. My plane is a simple VFR plane and I am a low time pilot(200 hours). Any tips and advice is appreciated. Any suggestions for sight seeing and things to do are also appreciated! I am a flatlander in Missouri so this is a West trip for us. Thanks!

For just asking the question: You have already put yourself in a good position- to fly the mountains. What everyone has said is true. No substituent for training and experience. You also have a very capable airplane- the RV10! Even at that: I would not go into Leadville with my first trip at full weight with Ski equipment(three passengers +). Know what to expect: Expect that acceleration and climb rate will be much slower. The visual of airspeed on landing will be much faster. The airspeed will not lie but your visual brain will be saying- This is too fast/long/ slow acceleration etc. Great experience for you, know what to expect- be conservative.

High Altitude

Hello everyone,

For just asking the question: You have already put yourself in a good position- to fly the mountains. What everyone has said is true. No substituent for training and experience. You also have a very capable airplane- the RV10! Even at that: I would not go into Leadville with my first trip at full weight with Ski equipment(three passengers +). Know what to expect: Expect that acceleration and climb rate will be much slower. The visual of airspeed on landing will be much faster. The airspeed will not lie but your visual brain will be saying- This is too fast/long/ slow acceleration etc. Great experience for you, know what to expect- be conservative.

The visual of airspeed on landing will be much faster. The airspeed will not lie but your visual brain will be saying- This is too fast/long/ slow acceleration etc. Great experience for you, know what to expect- be conservative.

Just to be clear, it will look faster because your true airspeed really will be faster. But you need that extra speed, to make up for the lower air density. Your airspeed indicator (IAS) will automatically make the correction for you. Fly the same IAS you would at home; just don't be surprised when the true airspeed looks (and is) higher than you're used to. Same for takeoff.

Good choice. We have flown our RV-10 into Leadville several times now and it has become one of our favorite destinations. We?ve skied at Ski Cooper, but also visited in summer to camp in the mountains and climb the peaks. We?ve now climbed six of the fourteeners in the area. It all really has been a great experience for my family. We will make a couple more visits in the coming year

45596735204_bde3049ccc_z.jpg

45407586255_262deb7466_z.jpg

36727410696_caaceae89a_z.jpg

The performance of the RV-10 makes the altitude pretty much a non factor, but you need to think about weather and turbulence. The airport sits in a broad valley ringed by 14000 ft peaks. We come in over the peaks, but if you have winds or clouds the easier approach would be up the valley from the south. Drop me an email at [email protected] if you want to talk in detail about places to stay and things to do.

Koch chart

As one flat lander to another, print out a Koch chart and use it before taking off. Otherwise you're just guessing. Also, the terrain may look flat in the direction you plan to take off. Check and make sure it's not rising in that direction. It may rise faster than you can climb at very high density altitudes. John

Example

Jerpo,
As others have said, there is no substitute for training. Take at least a half day course. This is just an example of what you may experience on a "nice" day in the Winter flying in the mountains. This is just to show you a sample of what an updraft and downdraft can do... it can much much more severe than this. Consider this to be for entertainment only: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xlo2wWGuPYM

Any suggestions for sight seeing and things to do are also appreciated! I am a flatlander in Missouri so this is a West trip for us. Thanks!

Flat lander from Oklahoma here...

I've landed at Leadville once but we've flown in to Buena Vista (KAEJ) half a dozen times over the last year in our RV-7. I think I saw TShort's RV 10 there at least once. I have been landing at La Junta (KLHX) and topping off the tanks and re-evaluating wx before entering the mountains west of canon city. This leaves me with a lighter fuel load when taking off for the trip home, which I can still do non-stop. We follow the highway to Cotopaxi on the way in and turn North up the Arkansas river valley towards Salida. There are two private strips near Cotopaxi as well as KANK (Salida) that might serve in case of emergency. You've gotten good advice on the mountain flying portion of your inquiry. There are AWOS stations at Monarch Pass and Cottonwood pass that I find useful. In the winter months winds & turbulence can be fierce. Frost the on wings and engine pre-heat should be considered. I've started requesting a hangar if available in winter. Pay heed to what the other VAF'ers have said.

As far as things to do: River rafting is huge during the summer, Mount Princeton hot springs, jeep, atv, & snowmobile rentals with hundreds of miles of trails, wildlife watching and or hunting, gold medal trout waters, indoor and outdoor concerts, hiking and camping, antique shopping, I could go on. Lots of old mines and gorgeous mountain scenery. For skiing, Monarch and Breckenridge are about an hour from BV. Eatery wise there are Quincy's Steakhouses in both Leadville and Buena Vista. The Golden Burrow is a very good eating place in Leadville. Locals (and us) like Jan's Family Restaurant in BV. Salida is 30 miles or so south of BV with more population and lots of bars and craft beer and more hot springs. I'm just scratching the surface. At my age just setting out on the patio drinking a hot drink watching the amazing night sky in the evening or coffee or hot chocolate in the morning watching wildlife is enough reason to make the trip.

Two books I'd recommend are Sparky Imeson's "Mountain Flying Bible" and "Flying Colorado Mountain Weather" by Margret W. Lamb.

Respect the mountains. Monarch pass alone has had nearly 20 accidents:

https://www.ntsb.gov/investigations/AccidentReports/_layouts/ntsb.aviation/Results.aspx?queryId=87f36857-6c9f-4192-b492-c2be1ffbcf5d

PM if you'd like more information.

Thanks,

Joe

Back in 2004 we contacted an instructor through the Colorado Pilots Association. The pilot I flew with was a weather briefer at Centennial so we flew out of there. I spent the morning with Bill Dunn and we flew to Kremmling, Glenwood Springs, Leadville (fuel up full here), and Aspen landing at all four. It was Great!! and I learned a lot. Time and money well spent for peace of mind and safety.

Roberta:)

Last edited:
Back