What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Trutrak Gemini AP

Hi I'm looking at upgrading to a Trutrak Gemini AP. I would be interested in hearing reports from those people who have installed one.
Cheers Bernie

What information are you looking for?

I installed mine right when they started shipping. Have over 300 hrs on it.

Works as advertised.

Only beef I have is the back-light brightness is not configurable and due to my mounting location (low and to the right of pilot) it is hard to read when setting the baro. pressure at night.

If it had a back-light adjustment in the menu would be great.

I've been very pleased with the 3 Gemini pilots I have installed and flown behind. Very simple to use and a great value, considering that it includes a full EFIS as well as Vizion 385 auto pilot functionality.

Upgraded a DII VSVG. Quick and easy swap with the supplied harness, no rewiring required. Performs extremely well, handles turbulence nicely: ?400 fpm corrections last week while only ?30 ft off selected altitude for three hours (oh yeah, that was a fun day. NOT!) My only gripe is the do all knob / switch, I have trouble 'executing' by pushing in, more often than I'd like it turns into a right handed push. Hopefully moving it closer to the left seat when I reconfigure the panel will solve that issue.

love it

as in the earlier post, the only possible complaint i have is that a lot of times, esp in turbulence, i try to push the button and wind up moving the toggle instead or in addition. dunno what to do about it, except be more careful!

works well

Replaced my ADI II with the Gemini to get the vertical guidance, very easy upgrade with the supplied interface cable and the system works well. I did have to change out my pitch servo for a pitch sensing version but it was all plug and play. Only slight negative is with the selector knob as mentioned by other posters, in track mode a one click turn changes track by 5 degrees and you have to push the knob in and turn one click for a 1 degree change, it is not always easy to push in and turn without either turning the AP off or moving the joysick function for vertical guidance. This is particularly true if bouncing around in turbulence.

I have asked Trutrak if they could make the track function a user setup selection so that the knob would change 1 degree in the normal (unpushed) state similar to the ADI II as it is very easy to rotate the knob for 5 or more degree change.

Figs

Last edited:
Replaced my ADI II with the Gemini to get the vertical guidance, very easy upgrade with the supplied interface cable and the system works well. I did have to change out my pitch servo for a pitch sensing version but it was all plug and play. Only slight negative is with the selector knob as mentioned by other posters, in track mode a one click turn changes track by 5 degrees and you have to push the knob in and turn one click for a 1 degree change, it is not always easy to push in and turn without either turning the AP off or moving the joysick function for vertical guidance. This is particularly true if bouncing around in turbulence.

I have asked Trutrak if they could make the track function a user setup selection so that the knob would change 1 degree in the normal (unpushed) state similar to the ADI II as it is very easy to rotate the knob for 5 or more degree change.

Figs

We're discussing this for the next software version. I can't guarantee it will happen, but we're definitely putting it on the table.

One more question, I will need to replace either the turn coordinator or the DG with the Gemini AP.
Is the a Gemini slip/ skid ball a suitable replacement for the ball in my turn coordinator?

One more question, I will need to replace either the turn coordinator or the DG with the Gemini AP.
Is the a Gemini slip/ skid ball a suitable replacement for the ball in my turn coordinator?

Here is an old video I made several years ago. This is not the AP version and this is with much older firmware but I think the slip/skid indication still works the same way today.

https://youtu.be/KtlLPJzRXtg

4:25 thru 5:08 I do some side to side slip/skid comparisons with a Dynon D100.

The little white bar at the top under the triangle moves back and forth to indicate slip/skid.

Mastered

Once the toggle settings of the Gemini AP were mastered, the combo AP & PFD are excellent. All the value of a high end AP & PFD.

In addition, I installed the auto-trim & it integrates well with the AP functions.

Superb value!

Back