What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Pirep Gemini AP upgrade

uk_figs

Well Known Member
Friend
Just finished the upgrade from the TruTrak ADI II to the Gemini AP, very straightforward and the patch cable TT supplied basically made it a plug and play upgrade. AP works very well and even though there are more button pushes than the ADI II for full functionality, the Altitude/Track hold and Vertical Speed Modes are very easy to use. My 796 needed no changes for the GPS interface.

Overall very pleased with the system and the fact that they made the upgrade plug and play as promised (thanks Andrew and Lucas).

Gemini AP

I, too, am very pleased with the Gemini AP. The display is very readable & functional. The added capabilities with the knob/joy stick take some familiarization, which is underway.

I had the Vizion 385 & Gemini PFD in the my last RV-10; the combination saves panel space & the readability / usability is excellent.

Pitch Servo

The Gemini AP needs a pitch servo that sends trim adjustment indicators to the AP (for display on the screen & action by pilot or auto trim, which is a separate device). The upgrade included the pitch servo.

Trim sense pitch servo

As noted the pitch sensing servo is needed which I did not have, the new servo is a direct replacement. From a wiring perspective I originally wired the servo connector with all the wires so did not have to do anything else to replace the servo, it all worked.

Wiring

The upgraded pitch servo wiring remains unchanged. It's a direct swap for the "old" servo. I'm in the process of installing the autotrim, which adjusts the trim to compensate for the "up" & "down" arrows displayed on the Gemini AP.

The trim sensing servo requires 1 more wire than the standard servo, but many installations already have that 8th wire running to the pitch servo.

Back