What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

First flight today

Rick_A

Well Known Member
I did my first flight today in my RV-12. It took a lot longer to build than I expected. About 20 months, working on it about 30 hours a week. Of course fully priming everything with Azko and painting the interior with JetFlex added at least 30% to the overall build time.

Many thanks to my brother who was my quality control through out the build process. His knowledge and assistance was (and continues to be) extremely valuable.

Also, thanks to John Albury for his excellent transition training. After John's training, I felt very confident doing the first flight.

Ground and Air-to-Air pics to follow, but here's a shot of the Dual Garmin display.

JlRxbC.jpg

I still have to install the interior and do the wheel pants but at least I can have fun flying while I'm working on really getting her finished.

AND, I got to train 3 new FAA inspectors while doing his aircraft.

CONGRATULATIONS on your first flight.

Love the videos & air-to-air. Thanks

I just watched the video & saw John's air-to-air shots. Neither of these photo shoots were pre-arranged, I just got lucky!

Watching the slo mo take-off was cool. I think I did a pretty good job if I may say so myself.

Congrats, Rick.

I've been flying my 12 for almost 1 year now and really like it. I just added wheel fairings. The economy and performance are very satisfying.

Paint is next...

Congrats Rick! That picture of your panel is almost enough to make me order the upgrade. Almost.........

Congrats Rick, I know you worked your butt off. Now what are you going to do with all the free time?

Congrats Rick, I know you worked your butt off. Now what are you going to do with all the free time?

There won't be much free time for at least a month, but now, some of the "work" will be doing the test flights.

Rick - please report to Vans and ask what number flying RV12 you are. Also, what's your kit S/N?

Congratulations

Great going Rick! It is truly amazing to have seen all those parts come together to build a flying machine. Having watched it go together I know this bird is one of the best, if not the best built rv -12's around.

Rick - please report to Vans and ask what number flying RV12 you are. Also, what's your kit S/N?

Bill, this is kit S/N 120805. I order the empennage mid-November 2013 and started work on it the first week of December 2013.

Congrats Rick. Mine is 120806 and I just ordered the engine and avionics. Hoping to be done in 6-8 weeks. So excited!

How does flying it feel compared to the 7?

The biggest difference is low speed handing, sink rate,float before landing and use of trim.

In the 7, the controls start to feel heavy below about 100 - 110 kts. For the 12, this is the normal cruising range and the controls are light and responsive. At 65 - 75 kts the 12 still handles very well, but you really have to keep the plane in trim.

During my initial training I had a tendency to not trim enough because on the 7, I didn't like having elevator forces too light. On the 12, you really need to keep the stick light. Thus using more trim, more often.

The 12 does not have as quick a roll rate but it is still very responsive.

Getting the 12 down to a maximum of 65 kts on Final is a must. During my solo flight, I aiming to keep the speed between 55 and 60 over the fence. Much faster and the 12 will float a long way.

Getting the 12 down to a maximum of 65 kts on Final is a must. During my solo flight, I aiming to keep the speed between 55 and 60 over the fence. Much faster and the 12 will float a long way.

Once you have more experience you should be even slower...

Crossing the threshold with full flaps at anything over 50 kts is too fast.

Remember, to qualify as a light sport airplane the RV-12 has a no flap stall speed, at gross weight, of 45 Kts. At solo weights with full flaps the stall speed is getting down in the neighborhood of 35 Kts. If you cross the fence at 60 Kts you would be almost double the stall speed.

Compared to my previous 160 hp RV-9A the 12 is very similar in roll and stick forces. I did have to get used to the solo approach. Similar to a fixed pitch 9 fully loaded with a 60 kts approach but solo at 60 kts and you will float a couple of thousand feet. Using about 55 kts approach, full flaps and no power works well for me solo. Access, visibility and economy is a plus for the 12. Higher speed, climb rate and more baggage is a plus for the 9.

The biggest difference is low speed handing, sink rate,float before landing and use of trim.

In the 7, the controls start to feel heavy below about 100 - 110 kts. For the 12, this is the normal cruising range and the controls are light and responsive. At 65 - 75 kts the 12 still handles very well, but you really have to keep the plane in trim.

During my initial training I had a tendency to not trim enough because on the 7, I didn't like having elevator forces too light. On the 12, you really need to keep the stick light. Thus using more trim, more often.

The 12 does not have as quick a roll rate but it is still very responsive.

Thanks for the flight report Rick.

Carb heat?

Rick,
Congratulations on completing the first of many flights.
What's the go with the carb heat? Can you share how and why please?

Cheers,

Back