What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Show us your panel !!!!!

Finished Panel!

Last week I took delivery of our Advanced Flight Systems AF-5600T EFIS displays and installed them in the panel. I cannot believe how crisp and clear the terrain and mapping is on these displays! The touch screen features work great, making it really easy to setup the EFIS, Engine, and Mapping screens the way I want. Configuring all the inputs and outputs was also pretty straightforward and took no time at all.

Also in the Panel:
Garmin GTN-750 GPS/NAV/COM
Garmin GNC-255A NAV/COM
Garmin GMA-35 Audio Panel
Garmin GX-33(ES) Transponder
TruTrak Vizion 385 Autopilot
TruTrak Auto Pitch Trim
Vertical Power VP-X Pro
Dynon ADS-B Receiver
CoGuardian 452 CO Detector

IMG_6171.jpg

Last edited:
Trevor the panel looks great. You will love flying behind the AFS screens.
Of course you know that already.
Great job

Trevor, that turned out REALLY nice...almost looks like a professional avionics shop did that or something! :)

I see you also spared no expense on the vents as well!

Make sure to post a picture of the entire plane one of these days.

Cheers,
Stein

Absolutely splendid, Trevor! I can't wait to get my AFS-5600 installed as well. Your setup is a dream panel, if I ever saw one. :)

Looks very neat. You must be very confident in the EFIS technology to go without any kind of back - up ...

You don't know how bad I've wanted to make a post in this thread over the past couple months, Here It Is!! (Kinda low light for decent pics, too much fun flying to put it up before dark!)

AB64E0E6-97BF-48B8-AD14-CDFA3D576652_zpsxmyyxrxx.jpg

410AFB03-C773-4DC9-83FE-8500385F4A6A_zpsbd2cikfh.jpg

5E8ADE9C-92D1-4EA9-9EFA-45053E2F6532_zpsg8r5ei46.jpg

2 screen G3X (370's) with the GSU25 AHARS, Mid-continent SAM, GMC305 autopilot, GTR200, GTN400W and a GTX23ES. I still have some more tweaking to do, but everything seems to be functioning correctly. I vectored myself for an LPV approach, autopilot went from heading to capturing the lateral course while the vertical leveled off from a 500 fpm descent to 3000 where it then captured the glide slope down......pretty freaking sweet!

New panel 99%

Haven't posted on VAF in a while, so here is my panel 99% complete:

P1020256.JPG

P1020272.JPG

P1020236.JPG

P1020210.JPG

I say 99% complete because I'm sure that as long as I own it, it will never really be finished. For example, I've already used the spare switch shown above for cowl flaps. The major components: 2 GTX-370, GMC-305, GMA-240, 2 GTR-200, GTX-23ES, GDL-39R, and all backed by Vertical Power VPX SPORT. And, of course, the Ipad.

If I win the lottery, I've planned for a GTN-650 nav/com to replace a GTR-200 and the removable panel below it.

My wife will never understand this....

....but seeing something that beautiful almost brings me to tears. Very, very nice panel!

Look out!

That is one beautiful panel, but are you ever going to look outside? Cubs,birds etc. will not show up on your tracking devices.

That is one beautiful panel, but are you ever going to look outside? Cubs,birds etc. will not show up on your tracking devices.
Yes, very impressive. But the same thought came to mind.

Other concern. Back in the day, I had a college dorm friend with a very nice Firebird. (Think Smokey and the Bandit.) One weekend on a road trip, another of my college buddies simultaneously pulled the overhead handle and asked, "What does this do?" Envision activating a jet fighter canopy jettison. Several hundred dollars later - back when that was some money - he had a new T-top. Point being - I see your big yellow handle in the panel. Sure no one's going to pull that and ask what it does?? Just sayin.

2 cents

Last edited:
big yellow handle

Yes, very impressive. But the same thought came to mind.

Other concern. Back in the day, I had a college dorm friend with a very nice Firebird. (Think Smokey and the Bandit.) One weekend on a road trip, another of my college buddies simultaneously pulled the overhead handle and asked, "What does this do?" Envision activating a jet fighter canopy jettison. Several hundred dollars later - back when that was some money - he had a new T-top. Point being - I see your big yellow handle in the panel. Sure no one's going to pull that and ask what it does?? Just sayin.

2 cents

Hi Lowpass,

It's funny that you should bring that up. The very same thing happened to me when I was a teenager riding in my cousin's Firebird. Except that I was the handle puller. Well I managed to hold on the the T-top, but just barely. Lesson learned. Your point is well taken though, and I will make sure that its operation is covered in the passenger brief.

This subject has come up before on VAF and it seems that no one knows exactly what happens if the handle is pulled in flight since it hasn't happened yet, or at least no one has lived to tell about it. It takes a fair amount of effort to wiggle the hinges out and the canopy can't move rearward if its not tilted up above the roll bar first (assumes no fwd skin notches). So my opinion is that nothing happens at all until the rear latch is undone and the canopy is pushed up into the airstream. This is one mystery I will be very happy to leave be.

Advanced RV7 Quick Panel

New Advanced RV-7 Slider IFR Quick Panel
16925686640_62200b06bb_k.jpg

Rob Hickman
Advanced Flight Systems Inc.
N402RH RV-10

Rob,
That is a very clean looking panel. Very complete I might add as well.

Keep on dreaming up new stuff that I cannot live without.

Bernie

Revised panel

After some great input I have centered the EFIS in front of the pilot's seat and moved the back-up instruments off to the right. This is a much better arrangement.

Thanks Jarvis!!

acdgmq.jpg

Last edited:
Wow, that's impressive. Wonder what it costs?

Mark Rinehart
RV7 or 14 wannabe

From our latest literature $36,995
Including: Two 10.4" EFIS Touch Screens, IFD540 Navigator, EFIS D6, PS-Engineering Remote Audio Panel, ADS-B Weather and Traffic, Mode S Transponder, AF-Com Radio, AF-Autopilot Controller,
406 ELT, Flap Positioning, Auto Trim, Primary ADAHRS, Backup ADAHRS, Dimmer, Wig-Wag light controller, Key Switch, Engine Monitor, Wi-Fi Module....
Wired, Powder Coated, Silkscreened and ready to install.

We will have this new demo panel on sale at Sun-n-Fun for $34,995
16925687190_3d95a99ae0_b.jpg

Rob Hickman
Advanced Flight Systems

Last edited:
It is finally my turn to show off a panel! For me, this has been the most fun part of the build to date, but then again I design electronics for living.

5cf1b6.jpg

Thanks to Rob at AFS for creating a wonderful EFIS and always being there to help. Thanks to Bill (Up North Aviation) for cutting the panel, and to Stein and crew for wiring the PAR200 to the GTN. I had fun wiring the rest up and managing paint and silk screening.

Last edited:
4X-ORV panel wannabe

205qs0h.jpg

Following the "Left Digital, Right Classic" idea, here is the taking shape panel.
Some compromising is in order, as real estate on a panel with everything in the double is at a premium. Far left, analog Tacho and Amp, left the MGL Voyager, center is reserved space for Com and Transponder, then fuel and oil gauges, right is the classic six. Sub-panels, left: light etc.switches, center: quadrant, fuel selector,flaps, trim switches, right: ignition, CBs, cabin heat, etc.

Looking good Bill

I havent a picture but my thoughts are to put my Dynon 10 inch in the center of the panel. Airspeed and Turn coodinator steam gauges to the right. Glove box to the left.

Any thoughts on the center mounted Dynon 10 inch? I wont be installing two ... too costly for this guy.

Dave

It is finally my turn to show off a panel! For me, this has been the most fun part of the build to date, but then again I design electronics for living.

n713jl_panel_0.jpg

Thanks to Rob at AFS for creating a wonderful EFIS and always being there to help. Thanks to Bill (Up North Aviation) for cutting the panel, and to Stein and crew for wiring the PAR200 to the GTN. I had fun wiring the rest up and managing paint and silk screening.

Nice, James! I'm in total agreement about the panel being the most fun. The design is so personal, and you have millions of options regarding equipment and placement. The least fun part? Baffling. :( (but I'm almost done!)

Mike, I like your blend of the old and new. I have a similar philosophy, right down to the whiskey compass I'll mount on my hoop brace. There's just something great about a dial-type airspeed indicator, and it still works if my EFIS goes on the blink.

Last edited:

Hi James,

Looks like you did a mod on the canopy release handle - is that a flex cable? If so, I've been considering the same arrangement and would love to see pics of how you did it.

Thanks!

Dave

Looks like you did a mod on the canopy release handle - is that a flex cable? If so, I've been considering the same arrangement and would love to see pics of how you did it.
Dave

Yes, I believe it is an A-1840 from Aircraft Spruce. It has the locking mechanism and as such the flexible part starts a ways back from the panel face. It required me offsetting the handle from center to align with the release arm behind the sub-panel. I will try to get a picture or two tonight to show the final result. I am quite pleased with how it turned out.

Looks like you did a mod on the canopy release handle - is that a flex cable? If so, I've been considering the same arrangement and would love to see pics of how you did it.Dave

Here is a picture of the release handle all the way out. I cut the outer flex tubing to a length to act as a stopper preventing the handle from opening to far, which would cause it to loose its marble (literally). When I had Bill cut my panel, I had him cut out a rectangle around the existing hole Van's has for the standard release handle. It also allows me to be able to remove the panel without having to disassemble the release handle in the future, a goal I met for all my cables.

canopy_release_handle.jpg

I also intend to bend the center wire 90 degrees for added security to be sure that the wire doesn't pull free if the set screw loosens...

Last edited:
Advanced Quick Panel - It arrived!!!

As soon as I got back from Osh Kosh, my panel arrived. I ordered a Dynon VFR "Advanced Quick Panel" from Rob Hickman. All I can say is "Wow"! Here's what I picked up...

Panel%20Box_zpstrn7oc7j.jpg

Here's what was inside...

Panel%20Box%20Open_zpsy3df0bjj.jpg

...and here's the initial install about 5 hours later...

Panel%20In%20Plane_zpsakvaonig.jpg

All (I mean ALL) the avionics wiring was complete and ready to install. I installed all the bits and pieces on the sub panel, connected the pre-made wiring harnesses to the Advanced Quick Panel box.... and voila.... it was installed.

Now the slightly more involved task of connecting all the engine sensors and engine wiring to the engine control module.

Thank-you to Rob and Jenny.... you have a superb product at a very reasonable price.

Last edited:
Here's a pic of mine

I'll get a shot of it lit up next time. Ready to fly. Waiting on the registration from Oklahoma.

finally.... the panel

Hi Guys

Finally and proudly , I can show my home made panel.
It's a mixed of new and old style , after three steps I decide for this layout that satisfied all my need (really lot of more that I need) .
I finished it today after some hundred of knots behind (who did it know what I mean)
One of the absolute condition was use the standard Vans panel dimension ... here the outcome.
vy5dae.jpg

Criticism and comment are welcome

Nice we.

Lucio

power on

just few days ago I powered up and...... without smoke or bad smell my home build panel, here for your comment.
nice day at all
Lucio
1zz72m8.jpg

Here's a photo of my Boeing Inspired Panel

Here's what mine looks like on the inside. I've been so busy flying her that I forgot to share with you guys. And since this photo was taken I've added ADS-B WX and I can't believe what I was missing before getting this wonderful feature. Now I just fly around and thru weather if it's not too intense. I'm so spoiled!

bPWjquHBxhUk2qyR7

https://goo.gl/photos/bPWjquHBxhUk2qyR7
https://goo.gl/photos/aUYsCLRJbMVuEtm29
.......and yes, I do work for Boeing!

Last edited:
Our latest project from EXP Aircraft Services, the RV7 dream panel!

This is my brother's RV7A so it was a team effort, I let him do all the hard work (installing it in the airplane) while I did the easy stuff like basic system architecture, building custom interconnect harness, panel wiring etc..

I'd also like to give credit to the Stein Team (Christer especially) for a superb job helping getting it all to fit and then cutting the panel.
And thanks to Brandon at GloCustom Paint for the custom flat black epoxy finish.

Details:
Garmin: G3X 10" Touch, GTN750, GTR20 (com 2), GMA240 (audio panel), GTX23ES (remote mode S xpdr), GDL39R (ADS-B in), Full A/P w/GMC307 control panel, GI260 AOA indicator with heated pitot.
(Airspeed indicator is a place holder for future back-up.)

795 was left over from old panel, probably not going to be needed much now!

rickpanel.jpg

Last edited:
That is nice Walt! are those pull and lock Mag switches, hate to bump those off with a knee ;-) do you have photos behind the scenes and wiring?

That is nice Walt! are those pull and lock Mag switches, hate to bump those off with a knee ;-) do you have photos behind the scenes and wiring?

Yes Honeywell locking toggles for master and mags. Sorry no behind the scenes photos but maybe we can get some the next time the screens are removed.

I re-used the locking toggles and most of the other switches from my old panel - that's about all I did re-use.

Behind the panel was challenging. My old radio stack was offset to the right of center line, so the sub-panel had some big holes in it that I had to work around. I also re-used 2 shelves from the original build that were between the sub-panel and the firewall - but I mounted the new components (dual ADAHRS & GTR 20) on the underside of the shelves. Access to those components is not great - but I can get to them when I need to.

Dream panel

I know it's just a placeholder, but aren't the airspeed markings on that ASI incorrect for the RV seven?

Knots vs MPH ?

I know it's just a placeholder, but aren't the airspeed markings on that ASI incorrect for the RV seven?

I pretty sure they are correct. I been flying with it that way for 6 years. It is United AS that I bought new with custom marking - in knots.

My prior panel had dual GRT's with AS, ALT & VSI steam gauges mounted below the GRT's.

I figured the Vfe was knots

... but then Vso at 50 KIAS seemed disappointingly high.

Anyway, beautiful panel! If I ever won the lottery I'd get Walt to clone it for my 6A.

Stall speed, MPH to Knots

Vans lists the stall speed at Gross Weight as 58 MPH. (Solo is 51 MPH)

According to my calculation 58 MPH = 50.4 Knots. Am I missing something?

Guess not.

Flight tests measured 50 MIAS for mine. Every one is different (and at that AOA, none is accurate ;) )

I bet we'd stall side by side at the same speed. Your ASI would say 50 kts and mine would say 50 mph. Probably not a recommended formation maneuver though.

That is a sweet panel, although I would have opted for a GRT Mini vs. the mechanical / steampunk AS indicator.

Back