Tim
RV-14A
Old 01-26-2022, 05:29 AM

Try SF Sort Aviation.

Eliane Lignelli
SF Sport Aviation
561-454-9201
Old 01-26-2022, 06:06 AM

I ended up having my seats covered at a local auto upholstery shop (hot rod shop). Turnaround was quicker, and I was able to get a custom design. I've been happy with the results.
2021 Oshkosh Bronze Lindy

1st Flight 08/20/2020 / Current Hrs - 279
Donation Happily Made 2022
Old 01-26-2022, 06:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rvanstory View Post
I ended up having my seats covered at a local auto upholstery shop (hot rod shop). Turnaround was quicker, and I was able to get a custom design. I've been happy with the results.
I've always wondered why there is such a concentration on aviation upholstery shops, especially with the current long lead-times.

I've always planned to take mine to a local shop. I just did a quick Google search and came up with at least 15 options within a 20 minute drive from my location.

I could be missing something, but I don't know what that would be...

RV-14a
Old 01-26-2022, 06:21 AM

The only thing I can think of is flammability of materials used. A car can pull over and be out of the vehicle in 15 or 20 seconds. We don't have ejection seats to match that evacuation time.

Car upholstery shops may already use fire resistant materials, I don't know. It's what I'd be asking about though.
Fuselage assembly, it's a riveting job!
Dash 8 day job is financing the RV8
Donation till September 2022
Old 01-26-2022, 06:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Z View Post
The only thing I can think of is flammability of materials used. A car can pull over and be out of the vehicle in 15 or 20 seconds. We don't have ejection seats to match that evacuation time.

Car upholstery shops may already use fire resistant materials, I don't know. It's what I'd be asking about though.
Understood. That's a material spec I would plan for anyway. It's the experience and skill that you're buying from any type of shop.

RV-14a
Old 01-26-2022, 04:36 PM

I hesitate to weigh in on this kind of conversation because my comments may come off as self serving. Hopefully this will just be additional food for thought to anyone looking for interior options.

I think the biggest benefit you get when you go with an established RV interior supplier is the time spent designing the products before you ever place your order. The RV-14 side panels for example took over 6 months to design (including many late nights). In that time things were refined and adjusted many times.

We built a full scale cockpit mockup with parts from Vans for this process. Each one of our parts are designed in solid modeling software and then manufactured to precise specifications. There are hundreds of parts that are laser cut and formed using a CNC press brake. Small details like attachment brackets and installation templates are all included. Over the last 19 years, we've learned a lot about what works, and we're still learning.

It depends a lot on what you are looking for. For some a traditional upholstery shop will be a good fit, for some it won't. I wish I could snap my fingers and reduce the lead times, but the changes needed take time. We're working on it though.

PS: Any upholstery shop can order materials that meet FAR 25.853 along with lab test results. Also most non-aviation flammability specs are far less stringent. If a shop doesn't have material options that meet FAA specs, you could direct them to companies like these:

https://douglassinteriorproducts.com/

https://www.tapiscorp.com/

541.926.1373 fax
www.classic.aero
VAF Advertiser since 2003
Old 01-26-2022, 07:13 PM

DJ Lauritson quoted me around 3 months lead time when I checked last September. She’s connected with Cleaveland Tools and can be found on their web site.
Working on finish and FWF
G3X from Steinair
YIO-320-D1A
Catto 71x66 3 blade
Lemke interior
2022 dues gladly paid
https://eaabuilderslog.org/?s=N7209A
Old 01-28-2022, 08:14 AM

Default rv 14 upholstery

I used Cleaveland Upholstry, DJ 515-432-6794 about 3 months lead and very good pricing.
Old 01-29-2022, 09:16 AM

There's a distinction between the seats and panels. The are probably many options for seat upholsters but not the interior panels. Having just installed seat and panels from Classic Aero in my RV-14A, I can confirm the high quality, design, and ease of installation of the panels. There was clearly a lot of thought that went into the design and I was pleased how well they fit with my JD Air canopy latch. Van's includes the parts needed to fabricate the seat backs which I ultimately did not use since the seat back is integrated into the Classic Aero seat.
- 2021 RV-14A (N818PP) built and in the paint shop
RV14A Build Log: https://eaabuilderslog.org/?s=MartysRV14A