VansAirForceForums  
Home > VansAirForceForums

-POSTING RULES
-Advertise in here!
- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Keep VAF Going
Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

  #1  
Old 01-23-2022, 06:32 PM
A2022 A2022 is offline
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 2,425
Default Geology survey

does anyone have experience doing geology surveys like these folks?

https://www.usgs.gov/news/technical-...ern-arkansas-0

https://www.usgs.gov/media/images/eo...r-magnetometer

http://www.eongeosciences.com/

equipment.

http://www.eongeosciences.com/equipment/



>>Moderator edit: Thread is revived. Steve started this thread because he's going to install similar equipment in his RV-9A. There. That makes this thread RV-related.<<

Last edited by scrollF4 : 01-23-2022 at 07:13 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 01-23-2022, 07:13 PM
A2022 A2022 is offline
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 2,425
Default

looking at a radiation detector only. I have a 9A.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 01-23-2022, 07:39 PM
rockwoodrv9 rockwoodrv9 is offline
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Meridian ID, Aspen CO, Okemos MI
Posts: 3,016
Default

Is it like LIDAR? I have had several LIDAR and photo topographic surveys. They were pretty expensive but they were for large parcels and cheaper than a survey crew and more in the mountains, more accurate.

I would love to learn more about what you are working on.
__________________
rockwoodrv9a
Williamston MI
O-320 D2A
Flying N376E
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 01-23-2022, 07:44 PM
A2022 A2022 is offline
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 2,425
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockwoodrv9 View Post
Is it like LIDAR? I have had several LIDAR and photo topographic surveys. They were pretty expensive but they were for large parcels and cheaper than a survey crew and more in the mountains, more accurate.

I would love to learn more about what you are working on.
no, this is not a terrain survey but for radiation mapping only.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 01-23-2022, 07:59 PM
N40ES N40ES is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: Maryland Eastern Shore
Posts: 151
Default NOAA uses small twins for GAMMA RADIATION of Snow Pack

The National Operational Hydrologic Remote Sensing Center (NOHRSC) has developed, and currently maintains, an operational Airborne Gamma Radiation Snow Survey Program to make airborne Snow Water Equivalent (SWE) and soil moisture measurements. Airborne SWE measurements are used by NWS Weather Forecast Offices (WFO) and NWS River Forecast Centers (RFC) when issuing river and flood forecasts, water supply forecasts, and spring flood outlooks.

2021 - 2022 Snow Season Surveys

My Daughter (Volcanologist) currently fly's twin Otters for NOAA and is moving to Hawaii this Spring with USGS as half owner of our RV9A and wants to ship it to Hawaii to fly around and study that active their Volcano with airborne instruments. Obviously, I object!
__________________
RV10 Bought Not Built

Last edited by N40ES : 01-23-2022 at 08:10 PM. Reason: To make it Vans related
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 01-23-2022, 08:19 PM
A2022 A2022 is offline
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 2,425
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by N40ES View Post
The National Operational Hydrologic Remote Sensing Center (NOHRSC) has developed, and currently maintains, an operational Airborne Gamma Radiation Snow Survey Program to make airborne Snow Water Equivalent (SWE) and soil moisture measurements. Airborne SWE measurements are used by NWS Weather Forecast Offices (WFO) and NWS River Forecast Centers (RFC) when issuing river and flood forecasts, water supply forecasts, and spring flood outlooks.

2021 - 2022 Snow Season Surveys

My Daughter (Volcanologist) currently fly's twin Otters for NOAA and is moving to Hawaii this Spring with USGS as half owner of our RV9A and wants to ship it to Hawaii to fly around and study that active their Volcano with airborne instruments. Obviously, I object!
I've seen photos of Volcano fly-bys from Vlad in Alaska. He has a 9A.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 01-24-2022, 08:39 AM
A2022 A2022 is offline
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 2,425
Default

could there be room in the industry for a non-profit organization that could map a town or city for radiation quickly.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 01-24-2022, 08:50 AM
ryschneider ryschneider is offline
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: Colorado Springs, CO
Posts: 28
Default

Hey Steve,
My daughter works for this company:
https://www.sanborn.com/

They generally use LIDAR and similar types of technology for mapping but I'm sure they could answer your question.

Ryan
__________________
Ryan

RV-7 (Finishing)
KFLY
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 01-24-2022, 09:11 AM
A2022 A2022 is offline
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 2,425
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryschneider View Post
Hey Steve,
My daughter works for this company:
https://www.sanborn.com/

They generally use LIDAR and similar types of technology for mapping but I'm sure they could answer your question.

Ryan
thx for the info. just the type of company that may have some insight.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 01-24-2022, 09:35 AM
N40ES N40ES is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: Maryland Eastern Shore
Posts: 151
Default Experimental Mods

Hey Steve, Looking at that picture of the Navaho with really Long Stinger and some have large Belly Pods, brings to mind the approval process that may be needed to modify any certified aircraft as opposed the ease of making quick modifications to an Experimental. I assume you could gear up quickly and adapt to needed changes in your own built RV9A without the process of jumping through regulatory Hoops & approvals. The simple drawback would be size and weight limitations.
__________________
RV10 Bought Not Built
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 05:23 PM.


The VAFForums come to you courtesy Delta Romeo, LLC. By viewing and participating in them you agree to build your plane using standardized methods and practices and to fly it safely and in accordance with the laws governing the country you are located in.