- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Keep VAF Going
Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Old 01-25-2022, 06:27 AM

Default Wow, just Wow! Says the OP

Interesting discussion guys and very informative AND revealing. I say "revealing" as it comes as a pointed reminder as to how convoluted the CFR are. But it's what we have to deal with.

So what did I do? I installed the oil cooler shutter and the new Vetterman exhaust soliciting advice along the way from my A&P/IA. When complete I made the logbook entry and had my A&P/IA sign it off. We did discuss the issue as to whether or not his signature was required (without opening the CFR). He has his opinion and I have mine, but I like having access to his experience/knowledge and that second set of eyes.

With regard to maintaining logbooks. Regardless what the regs says COMMON SENSE should prevail. Just do it.
Old 01-25-2022, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inhot View Post
So what did I do? I installed the oil cooler shutter and the new Vetterman exhaust soliciting advice along the way from my A&P/IA. When complete I made the logbook entry and had my A&P/IA sign it off. We did discuss the issue as to whether or not his signature was required (without opening the CFR). He has his opinion and I have mine, but I like having access to his experience/knowledge and that second set of eyes.
And his opinion is WRONG. As numerous A&Ps and DARs have pointed out on this thread, anyone can do anything to an EAB aircraft. The only thing that requires either an A&P (not IA) or Repairman (for that airplane) to sign off is the annual Condition Inspection. Period.

It's a shame that he is spreading misinformation to you (and probably others) instead of educating himself on the facts.
Old 01-25-2022, 12:48 PM

Itís been my experience that most professional IAs and APs are mostly ignorant of the rules applying to experimental planes and LSAs. Probably because they donít see them that often, I guess. Anyway I have seen where mechanics have signed of the condition inspection stating they did an AD search and didnít find any but ignored doing a SB search, which is required for SLSAs. In one case there were over a dozen SBs ignored over several years which makes you wonder what the insurance co would do in the case of an accident.
With EABs, since there are no real systems standards, typically no wiring diagrams or maintenance manuals or an inspection checklist will likely do a poor inspection. It pays to find someone familiar with your type plane for a good inspection and continued safety.
RV3B & Legend Cub
Old 01-25-2022, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sf3543 View Post
Itís been my experience that most professional IAs and APs are mostly ignorant of the rules applying to experimental planes and LSAs.
It's one thing to be ignorant of something. That's okay, there are plenty of things of which we are all ignorant. It's another thing entirely to puff up and insist that you *do* know and that you are right about something, spread misinformation, and refuse to become educated on what is true. EABs have been around long enough now, and there are certainly scads of RVs all over, that A&Ps should at least know the basics of the rules by now (like who can work on them and the minimal sign-off regs).

Not knowing the bare minimum rules, and when told they're wrong, insisting they're right, is the mindset of an A&P I *don't* want looking at my plane.
Old 01-27-2022, 06:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RV7A Flyer View Post
Not knowing the bare minimum rules, and when told they're wrong, insisting they're right, is the mindset of an A&P I *don't* want looking at my plane.
Ran into one a year or two back. I always ask about documents before I make a trip to inspect. Seller's A&P was like the Mexican bandit in Blazing Saddles...we don't need no stinkin' operating limitations.