- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Keep VAF Going
Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Old 01-21-2022, 09:19 PM

Default FAA LODA

Could someone help explain something to me? I read the LODA, and I feel I understand the intent that it allows someone who owns an experimental to receive dual instruction. I understand the whole Florida P-40 story on how we got here.
I was always under the impression that you cannot give or receive dual instruction in an experimental unless the person receiving the dual is an owner of the EAB. (Excluding the waivered few people doing transition training)

Here’s my question, what does the statement “The owner (or delegate)…” mean? Can an owner “Delegate” another person that can use their plane for receiving dual? For an example, a father who owns an RV wants to let his son or daughter earn their PPL in their plane. The son/daughter isn’t an owner.. does this “Delegate” statement allow for this? What about letting a friend use it?

https://www.faa.gov/licenses_certifi...A_Template.pdf
RV-8 empenage finished 10-2020

Wings Started.. 11-2020
Old 01-21-2022, 10:13 PM

You have it exactly correct. Note that since ‘rental’ of your EAB is not allowed, your friend must be a very good friend, as absolutely no compensation, no tit for tat, no free beers, etc are allowed. You can’t charge your kids either, or even have them do extra chores to earn the time. And check with your insurance company. A friend flying under an open pilot warranty may, or may not, be at financial risk, depending on your policy.
Old 01-22-2022, 06:51 AM

The CFI can get compensation, but the airplane owner can’t for “providing” the airplane…..ie can’t “rent out” the airplane. Just out of curiosity, is fuel reimbursement allowed?

As to insurance, an instructor flying under a LODA, yours or his, can do so under the policy’s Open Pilot Warranty, but unless a Waiver of Subrogation is also part of the policy, the insurance company can turn around and sue the instructor in case of an “event”. Some or many instructors don’t have insurance coverage for that. My transition CFI (a good friend) doesn’t have flight instruction insurance. I do have an open pilot warranty and a waiver of subrogation, but as a courtesy to him, I also named him as an insured on my policy, which was pretty cheap.
AFS 5400/3500, G5, IFD440 navigator,
bunch of other stuff
Old 01-23-2022, 02:10 PM

Sorry to hijack the thread, but for those who applied for a LODA for instructors to be compensated in your RV, how long did it take the FAA to process?

"Poise under pressure is the single most valuable thing you can have as a pilot. Make mistakes, take corrective action as quickly and calmly as possible and press on."
Old 01-23-2022, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitman View Post
Sorry to hijack the thread, but for those who applied for a LODA for instructors to be compensated in your RV, how long did it take the FAA to process?
Took me a week from the Minneapolis FSDO.
AFS 5400/3500, G5, IFD440 navigator,
bunch of other stuff
Old 01-23-2022, 02:49 PM

Quote:
IIRC it was 5 days. All done via email. And I got both the owner and cfi version, all on one computer print out. I keep it with my logbook and faa certificates.
Old 01-23-2022, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacCool View Post
The CFI can get compensation, but the airplane owner can’t for “providing” the airplane…..ie can’t “rent out” the airplane. Just out of curiosity, is fuel reimbursement allowed?
I am not a lawyer. Personally I’d steer clear of any cash changing hands. OTOH if the plane went out (with a friend) with full tanks, and came back to me with full tanks, it’s hard to see how I received any compensation. Just my opinion.
Old 05-13-2022, 07:01 AM

Quote:
Data point: I just received my LODA as a CFI (you can get one for the airplane or as an instructor). It took 18 days to get it back from the time of submission for reference.

"Poise under pressure is the single most valuable thing you can have as a pilot. Make mistakes, take corrective action as quickly and calmly as possible and press on."
Old 05-13-2022, 08:20 AM

Next day from Atlanta FSDO vis email, IIRC
Vaccines kept me out of the hospital but COVID still cost me a month of living, all told...
Old 05-13-2022, 10:45 AM

Seeing this thread I submitted a LODA request an hour ago for my as-yet-incomplete plane. Got a signed response already.
Hoping to fly in April 2022

N1814T reserved with FAA
Donated Jan 4 for 2022
EAA and AOPA member