-Advertise in here!
- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Keep VAF Going
Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Old 01-25-2022, 09:31 PM

I’ve lost comms two times in the last 35 years, and fortunately both times VFR on a CAVU day. Both times due to alternator failure. The XPDR had enough power both times, but when I tried to key the Mike it dragged bus voltage down so I couldn’t transmit. I woke up PHX approach when I rolled through 7500 on my way to squawking 7600 the first time. I didn’t have my handheld with me that day and took the light gun from Glendale tower. All I could remember was steady green so fortunately that’s what I got. Now I carry a cheat sheet of light signals. The tower loved it. When I went up to make sure everything was cool they said, “ That was great! We never get to use the light gun!”

Second time I had my handheld, but the range was only about 4 miles with no external antenna. Fortunately another pilot heard me and acted as a relay until I got close enough to talk directly.
Old 01-25-2022, 10:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GatorsR1 View Post
I have a PJ2 that I carry along in the flightbag (and for listening in to the action at SNF & OSH).
With just the whip antenna I can hear traffic at home base (8A1) and contact FBO in the pattern.
I'd think that's good enough for backup to the GTR200B ?
Handhelds with their own antenna are typically much better at receiving than transmitting. With my handheld I can barely get anyone to read me from 1/2 mile away, whereas if I connect it to my ship's antenna I can talk to the tower from 5 miles out.

But your radio may be different - I'd recommend testing two way communications in the plane from several miles to someone in the air and on the ground.
Airport committee chair & AOPA ASNV for Seaside, OR Municipal (56S), www.seasideairport.org
Last Donated January 2022
Old 01-26-2022, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RFSchaller View Post
All I could remember was steady green so fortunately that’s what I got. Now I carry a cheat sheet of light signals. The tower loved it. When I went up to make sure everything was cool they said, “ That was great! We never get to use the light gun!”
For those who are going through their flight training or haven't done so in a while, it's a good idea to ask your local tower to use the light gun just so you know what it looks like.

I sure was glad I had done that when I had to squawk 7500 on my second solo.
Old 01-26-2022, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcarsey View Post
I have yet to view the antenna with a GoPro to see how much it bends back in the 100mph wind.. but it seems to work OK. I may make a video about this on my youtube channel one day.
Will be looking out for this Rob. Interested in similar setup.
RV-12, N913BC - EAA Light Plane Silver Lindy (2016)

2021 VAF Donation, please make yours too!

Check out & subscribe to my Youtube channel for latest RV-12 flying videos...
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxQ...Px2I7jmazGdLqg
Old 01-26-2022, 06:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NORDO Industries LLC View Post
For those who are going through their flight training or haven't done so in a while, it's a good idea to ask your local tower to use the light gun just so you know what it looks like.

I sure was glad I had done that when I had to squawk 7500 on my second solo.
You got hijacked on your 2nd solo? How does that work? Multiple personalities?

Or was it 7600 for loss of communications, or 7700 for a general emergency?

"Time to Spare, go by Air."

Last edited by NinerBikes : 01-26-2022 at 06:44 PM.
Old 01-26-2022, 06:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NinerBikes View Post
You got hijacked on your 2nd solo? How does that work? Multiple personalities?

Or was it 7600 for loss of communications, or 7700 for a general emergency?
whoops, I meant 7600.

This is what I get for not having my quick-reference kneeboard with me when posting…
Old 01-26-2022, 09:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NORDO Industries LLC View Post
whoops, I meant 7600.

This is what I get for not having my quick-reference kneeboard with me when posting…
No worries, it was a refresher for me, too. Seems I've always remembered to never use 7500, since I don't carry paying passengers. You know where to look, quickly, if the need (kneed?) arises.

Old 01-27-2022, 06:21 AM

Default Agree with handheld

I lost my electrical (alternator over voltage that fried my analog panel). Flying NORDO into Denver KAPA was stressful. Luckily my cfi (was during my IPC) had KAPA tower on his cellphone, and this made it easier to fly in Denver’s veil and sequence into busy KAPA airflow. I now always program my home airport tower phone number into my cellphone, and put a second antenna for my handheld mid belly for emergency use. The cellphone trick is nice in urban areas. 🛫. My handheld didn’t have much range without a real antenna (to transmit).
Cal
Old 01-27-2022, 10:55 AM

A good 1/4 wave length 2m band antenna on your handheld will really assist in transmitting your signal to the tower. The stock rubber ducky antenna that comes with most handhelds is pretty poor on transmit.

I run one on my Yaesu backup FTA-550, I'd say it's somewhere between 12.5 and 13.5 " long, and it's done in bright orange.

Old 01-27-2022, 08:11 PM

I had an excellent Yaesu for years, but it stopped transmitting, so I bought an Icom. A good radio but it has no abillity to connect to ships power, which the Yaesu did. I didn't realize that at the time as I ordered the previous model and got the new one.