Keep VAF Going
Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Old 01-18-2022, 08:40 AM

Default Electric Trim Actuator

Hi all,

I'm reworking the electrical system on a previously flying -4 and was wondering what the current draw of the electric trim actuator is under load. It was originally placed on the same breaker as the flap motor but I'm putting it on its own circuit and want to be sure I'm using the correct wire size/circuit breaker.

Any input would be appreciated.
Old 01-18-2022, 08:56 AM

Default Hello in Yadkinville..

Your close by, I'm in Advance at 8A7..they don't draw much, I think I have mine on a 2 amp breaker. I have electric aileron and elevator trim. I used a 9V transistor battery to do all my ops checks. I have all the MAC paperwork in my hangar if you need to see any of it. Id like to hear more about what you are working on! 2 RV-4's at 8A7 and another at 6NC8.
Old 01-18-2022, 09:06 AM

Default Specs from Ray Allen (MAC)

here are the specs from Ray Allen (MAC) . http://www.rayallencompany.com/RACin...hor-What-49575 . They claim 1 amp will do it. I used the same 24g multi wire and made my own harness.
Old 01-18-2022, 09:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fixnflyguy View Post
Your close by, I'm in Advance at 8A7..they don't draw much, I think I have mine on a 2 amp breaker. I have electric aileron and elevator trim. I used a 9V transistor battery to do all my ops checks. I have all the MAC paperwork in my hangar if you need to see any of it. Id like to hear more about what you are working on! 2 RV-4's at 8A7 and another at 6NC8.
Thanks Bill. A friend of mine bought a beautiful RV-4 out of NY last fall and we've been working on it. It sat for many years due to the previous owner losing his medical but being unable to part with the airplane. I've built a new instrument panel, installed some updated avionics, ADS-B and I'm currently cleaning up all of the electrical installation. We're working on it in my hangar at Jim Speer's field in Boonville if you'd like to drop in one weekend. We're almost 1 mile south of 26NC. Glad to hear there's more -4s in the area. Thanks again!

Sam Scott
Boonville, NC
Old 01-18-2022, 11:47 AM
Senior Curmudgeon

Default Welcome to VAF

Sam, welcome to VAF

Rv-10, N210LM.

Flying as of 12/4/2010

Phase 1 done, 2/4/2011

Sold after 240+ wonderful hours of flight.

"Flying the airplane is more important than radioing your plight to a person on the ground incapable of understanding or doing anything about it."
Old 01-18-2022, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike S View Post
Sam, welcome to VAF
Thank you Mike. Much Appreciated.
Old 01-29-2022, 11:08 AM

the draw of the servo is not the important thing. the rating of the wiring is. check the chart for the size wiring that is run, and size the breaker to protect the wire.

from the chart 24 gauge on a 10 foot run with 14v is good for 1.5 amps. a 9 foot run is good for 2 amps.

bob burns
RV-4 N82RB