- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Keep VAF Going
Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Old 12-09-2021, 07:57 PM

Default GNC 355 pireps ??

Just curious if folks using this nav/com could chime in on likes / dislikes.
Also how does it play with the other equipment in your panel.
Thanks.
Red
Old 12-10-2021, 04:55 AM

I have one and use it as my second Nav or GPS source which is required in Canada for IFR. I have not used the GPS portion very much as I have a GTN-650 as my primary unit. Works well with the G3X however two dislikes I have. The GNC and GTN do not crossfill to each other. This to me is a major weakness especially if it is being used as a back up to the 650. The other thing to note is that it doesn't have a "default NAV" page like the 650 has.
2017 Waco YMF-5
RV-14 Kit # 140694 - First Flight June 22, 2021
RV-14 A - Kit Ordered February 8, 2022
2022 Dues Paid
Old 12-10-2021, 10:15 AM

Default I like it

I just had two G5's and a GNC 355 installed in my C172 (rv12is on order). Picked it up yesterday and had to fly straight to a different shop for it's annual. Initial impression based on my 45 minutes of use is that it's awesome. What I noticed/like out of the gate:

- safe taxi with airport layout made reading back taxi instructions a breeze.
- being able to select between atis, tower, and ground frequencies with a tap instead of dialing them in was such a time saver.
- having the gps show course and track made wind correction insanely easy.

I know I haven't even scratched the surface on capabilities and got the install to start working on my IFR ticket. So far I'm very impressed.
Old 12-10-2021, 10:27 AM

Default one thing tho

One thing I didn't realize that kind of bums me out is that you have to buy a $1,500 SD card (Flightstream 510) to have connectivity with ForeFlight and to get over the air database updates. I'm sure that's a known thing, but this is my first panel mounted GPS, so wasn't aware. Not sure if I'll do it or not, but seems like it would be a really useful add-on.
Old 12-10-2021, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BTG1996 View Post
One thing I didn't realize that kind of bums me out is that you have to buy a $1,500 SD card (Flightstream 510) to have connectivity with ForeFlight and to get over the air database updates. I'm sure that's a known thing, but this is my first panel mounted GPS, so wasn't aware. Not sure if I'll do it or not, but seems like it would be a really useful add-on.
Shoot fire, I would not pay a tenth of that for this add on.

Carl
Old 12-10-2021, 11:57 AM

I replaced my non WAAS 430 with a GNC355 about a year ago. Itís worked out pretty well.

I have a 2 screen GRT EFIS that the GNC355 feeds and between them I can display all the data fields I desire. The 355 only has 4 data fields compared to 6 on the 430 and there is no CDI on the 355, hence the need to have an EFIS or G5 for display.

I havenít missed the VORLOC function at all.

Having the com integrated is handy.

My flying is mostly VFR but I do load simple flight plans (rather than direct to) as I find that the easiest way to have waypoint information available.

The 355 makes loading Victor airways easy.

There are several Garmin You Tube videos for the GTN series that help a lot with operating a 355. Pilot Workshops recently made a GTN course which is also very good.

Download the Garmin simulator and use it to practice and learn. It is very good.

Jim Butcher
Old 12-10-2021, 12:25 PM

Default Flight Stream 510

Quote:
Originally Posted by BTG1996 View Post
You can connect to the GNC 355 via Bluetooth without the need for a Flightstream 510. The Flightstream 510 has a WiFi interface however, which the GNC 355 does not have onboard itself. The WiFi interface is what facilitates the large database file transfers.

Thanks,

Justin
Please email us for support instead of using Private Messaging due to the limitations of the latter.
Old 12-10-2021, 03:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jetmart View Post
I have one anduse it as my second Nav or GPS source which is required in Canada for IFR. I have not used the GPS portion very much as I have a GTN-650 as my primary unit. Works well with the G3X however two dislikes I have. The GNC and GTN do not crossfill to each other. This to me is a major weakness especially if it is being used as a back up to the 650. The other thing to note is that it doesn't have a "default NAV" page like the 650 has.
I recall crossfill being discussed as a possible future update to the GNC/GNX series a few years ago.
Hereís the current GTN install manual

Click image for larger version

Name:	B6A9047E-A026-4620-A6C1-8C178CFFC2F4.jpeg
Views:	106
Size:	228.9 KB
ID:	19398

Perhaps this is still a possibility in the near future?
Sydney, AUS
Old 12-10-2021, 03:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Connell View Post
I recall crossfill being discussed as a possible future update to the GNC/GNX series a few years ago.
Hereís the current GTN install manual

Attachment 19398

Perhaps this is still a possibility in the near future?
I checked with the Garmin rep recently and they do not have plans for crossfill between the GTN and GNC.
2017 Waco YMF-5
RV-14 Kit # 140694 - First Flight June 22, 2021
RV-14 A - Kit Ordered February 8, 2022
2022 Dues Paid
Old 12-10-2021, 04:23 PM

Default Foreflight to GNC 355?

Quote:
Originally Posted by g3xpert View Post
You can connect to the GNC 355 via Bluetooth without the need for a Flightstream 510.
Thanks,

Justin
Thanks Justin- so it's possible to load a flight plan from ForeFlight to the GNC 355 without the FlightStream? That would be great news! My plane went straight into annual after the install so I can't tinker with it for another week or so. I appreciate the guidance.