Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Go Back   VAF Forums > Model Specific > RV-8/8A
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-19-2021, 02:18 PM

Default Landing light recommendation needed

I bought an RV-8 with leading edge lights installed. They are so anemic as to be useless and until I get them replaced I will not be flying at night. They are not even bright enough to taxi the aircraft safety. I'm looking for a recommendation of something that actually works so that I can open up the other half of the 24-hour flying window. Brighter is better so long as it stays within the 5 amp breaker limit. I would prefer a drop-in solution if one is available. pic of current light is attached. Thanks for the help
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9790.jpeg
Views:	199
Size:	578.9 KB
ID:	17243  
Old 10-19-2021, 02:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by markduffield View Post
I bought an RV-8 with leading edge lights installed. They are so anemic as to be useless and until I get them replaced I will not be flying at night. They are not even bright enough to taxi the aircraft safety. I'm looking for a recommendation of something that actually works so that I can open up the other half of the 24-hour flying window. Brighter is better so long as it stays within the 5 amp breaker limit. I would prefer a drop-in solution if one is available. pic of current light is attached. Thanks for the help
I have never seen a strobe on the inside of the leading edge landing light bay.

For the landing/taxi lights look into Flyleds.com

Triple spot light would be good and an easy R/R option.
https://flyleds.com/products/#!/Trip...087/category=0

For even more light and also a good option for the TD 8 look at the Combo Leading Edge Landing/Taxi light.
https://flyleds.com/products/#!/Comb...298/category=0

Pazmany PL-1 N2029 (bought & sold)
RV7 - N537TC (reserved & building)
Emp, Wings & Fuse done - working on FWF

"The air is an extremely dangerous, jealous and exacting mistress. Once under the spell most lovers are faithful to the end, which is not always old age." - Winston Churchill

Last edited by pazmanyflyer : 10-19-2021 at 02:41 PM.
Old 10-19-2021, 06:31 PM

I concur with the FlyLeds route. Here's how I did it. For my installation, this was a truly drop in replacement.

https://www.rushesroost.com/post/rv-8-and-the-flyleds

RV-8 (Bought Flying)
Glasair Sportsman (Sold)
RV-8 Tail, QB Fuselage (Sold)
RV-4 (Bought Flying) (Sold)
RV-9 Tail
RV-12 120018 Flying (Sold)
RV-7 Tail, Wings, Started Fuse (Sold)
Old 10-19-2021, 07:46 PM

Just took delivery of the FlyLED's combo lights for my -8, still under construction. FlyLEDs does not make the mounting brackets, they recommend the Duckworks mounts, so you're already more than half way there. For the combo landing/taxi light, they recommend the round lamp duckworks mount. It looks like you may have the rectangular mount, but that may not be a real problem.
RV8 #81751 project sold
RV8 #81651 project acquired
https://theonceandfutureflyer.wordpress.com/
Donations up to date thru December 2015

"...serenity...courage...and wisdom..."
Old 10-20-2021, 06:47 AM

I put these in my -8. Work great and bright enough for night landing. Being a tail wheel the taxi lights, which point higher, just illuminate the sky. I adjusted the angle to make the landing lights point down and taxi lights straight ahead and use both at the same time.

https://www.aircraftspruce.com/catal...aerosun-vx.php
Old 10-20-2021, 08:01 AM

Default FlyLED

I think part of your solution depends on where your position lights are located. Do you have position lights on the wingtip? If so, you should be able to move your strobe to a wingtip location without too much additional work.

The landing and/or taxi light in the leading edge (and the "flattened" round washer retaining the light) suggests you have (or had) the Duckworx light.

I just replaced my Duckworx reflector with the same light that ArlingtonRV mentioned above. (You need to purchase the supplemental panel to fill the hole left by removal of the Duckworx reflector.)

BTW, if anyone wants my Duckworx reflectors with installed HID bulbs / power supplies, let me know. Taker pays postage! The FlyLED lights are noticeably brighter than HIDs.
Old 10-20-2021, 12:45 PM

I do have position lights and also strobes on the wingtips. The extra strobes in the landing light leading edge must be for added effect in a head on encounter.
Old 10-20-2021, 07:36 PM

Hi Mark

Our Double Spot lights are as close to drop in as it gets, however with two Combo lights you get a whole lot of light aimed correctly for landing coming from both wingtips. Then when the tail is on the ground you have lights aimed for taxiing again coming from both wings, so you can still see down both sides of the runway and taxiways.
Your existing light bracket can be removed from the wing with just four screws, and you can then easily enlarge the hole to suit the Combos out on the bench.
You would need to upgrade your breaker to a 10 amp with two Combos.

I've never seen strobes in the leading edges either! It would be great for extra recognition, but I note they also nicely block ~20% of the light coming from the landing lights! I'd remove the extra strobe heads and keep them on the shelf for when the wingtip strobes fail.

A much better solution for improved recognition is to wigwag the landing lights instead. The apparent movement of the light from wing to wing is the eye catching part and is more visible during the day than a short strobe flash.
We can help you out there with either the Wigwag Module or the Wigwag Switch.

(paid more than asked for this year as well!)
Old 10-21-2021, 02:15 PM

Default Can't go past FlyLeds

I replaced the standard halogens in my -7 with Pauls Combo set and WigWag module a couple of years back (BC - before COVID). I did need to make a minor adjustment to the existing mounting brackets to accommodate the slight larger LED board.

I'm absolutely rapt with them and have no issues seeing the runway when landing/taxiing at night, nor does anyone miss me in daylight

I will be replacing my Whelen strobes and nav lights with Pauls "The Works" wingtip kit when funds allow.

Flying RV-7QB/ZK-NVS/Aerosport 0320/Dual AF3500s/PMA8000B/GNS430W/SL30/GTX335/TT ADIP II
Old 11-17-2021, 07:03 AM

Default ordered

How does that song go?...faster horses, older whiskey, younger women and more lumens coming out of the leading edge of your wings for landing at night...something like that.

I ordered a pair of the flyLEDs combo lights plus a 10 amp breaker to accommodate the increased load. Can't wait to get them installed and will update here once I do.