Keep VAF Going
Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Go Back   VAF Forums > Main > RV General Discussion/News
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-09-2021, 12:58 PM

There is only two wing tip overall shapes that have been shipped in kits from Van's.
The Horner style (flat top supplied in all of the earlier kits)

and

Compound shaped tip that has often been referred to as the bat wing tip.
This tip shape was modified at some point to remove the bat wing / swept training edge, but all of the rest of the tip shape is exactly the same so any light housing or lens designed for the original one, would fit the other.

Scott McDaniels
Hubbard, Oregon
Van's Aircraft Engineering Prototype Shop
FAA/DAR
RV-6A (aka "Junkyard Special ")
Old 06-09-2021, 01:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rvbuilder2002 View Post
Compound shaped tip that has often been referred to as the bat wing tip.
This tip shape was modified at some point to remove the bat wing / swept training edge, but all of the rest of the tip shape is exactly the same so any light housing or lens designed for the original one, would fit the other.
Unless I'm wrong, the *cut-out* for the lights changed shape at some point, as well. At least, that's how I remember it...that the lens from the bat-wing wouldn't fit the straight TE version, or vice-versa, or both.

Or that's completely wrong, and they are interchangeable, but I recall there was a difference between the two, as when I swapped mine with someone else, it was important that the lens came with the tip.

ETA: Ah, yes...here is the diagram. Forget about the lights themselves, we're only talking about the lens. I don't know if the currently available lens will fit the older style opening, I suppose it would (same shape and you'd just have to trim it down to fit), but I haven't tried that.

Last edited by RV7A Flyer : 06-09-2021 at 01:14 PM.
Old 06-09-2021, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RV7A Flyer View Post
Unless I'm wrong, the *cut-out* for the lights changed shape at some point, as well. At least, that's how I remember it...that the lens from the bat-wing wouldn't fit the straight TE version, or vice-versa, or both.

Or that's completely wrong, and they are interchangeable, but I recall there was a difference between the two, as when I swapped mine with someone else, it was important that the lens came with the tip.

ETA: Ah, yes...here is the diagram. Forget about the lights themselves, we're only talking about the lens. I don't know if the currently available lens will fit the older style opening, I suppose it would (same shape and you'd just have to trim it down to fit), but I haven't tried that.

The lens provided is the same shape and adequate size for either. I had the old lens and enlarged my notch, no problem with fitting. You would just have more material left if applying to the small notch.
Old 06-09-2021, 04:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillL View Post
Jerry, I don't need those lenses as I have a 7, but the double lens for 7-8 and the 10's are around $60 from Vans.

It would seem that a mold for making vinyl lens would take about $200 on materials and 20 hrs of labor to make. Lots of hand polishing to ensure a nice surface finish. About $1200-1500 for tooling assuming a heating fixture and vacuum source is fractionally available, + 20 min labor per part, with 100 parts at 100% gross margin. That would estimate (SWAG) a retail price around $75.

Stuff really adds up fast at $50-80/shop hour, but people have to live . . . and build.

The company can do all the real numbers but our contribution is not how much to pay, but how many will be purchased. A group buy for 100 pieces would seem a good start for the company to evaluate economic viability.
Hello Bill,

Thanks for the number crunching. I agree that the key number is how many would be purchased. But that number would change dramatically depending on the cost of the lenses. I feel that 20 would get purchased immediately. I'm guessing that 50 could be purchased in short order. I'm not sure if 100 units would ever be purchased.

There is no way to predict the need. How many of the Airtech kits were purchased? How many installed and flying? Of those how many feel that they need replacement lenses. Would people that need them or just want a spare set, buy them for $100, $200, or more? I don't know.
Old 06-09-2021, 04:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skysailor View Post
I would be interested in a pair for my RV4.
Thanks Maj Burns!
Old 06-09-2021, 04:55 PM

Quote:
I wouldn't mind having a set of spares around, if I even knew what *size* or part number or style or whatever to get. There seem to be so many different shapes of tip that I don't have any idea what I'd need. All I know is I swapped my W-715-1 (squared-off trailing edge) tips for the older "batwing" style tips with someone here.

Be nice to have a chart that shows which tip goes with which lens...
This thread is in reference to the lenses provided with the Airtech kits for the older Hoerner style W-415 wingtips. The Airtech kits ONLY fit the Hoerner style wingtips, not the wingtips with the rounded ends. See attached picture for example of a Hoerner wingtip. The Airtech kits had a very nice molded and gel-coated fixture that was glassed into the wingtip. See post #1. You should be able to identify whether you have the Airtech kit by removing the wingtip and inspecting it from the interior. Click on the link to the older thread in post #1 and look for my post, #17, on page 2.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	tCddl.png
Views:	98
Size:	19.2 KB
ID:	12415  

Last edited by RV8Squaz : 06-09-2021 at 04:59 PM. Reason: Added info.
Old 06-09-2021, 05:08 PM

The lenses I'm referring to in this thread will NOT fit either of those wingtips.

Quote:

Old 10-24-2021, 08:04 AM

Default Lenses!

Hello all,

Airplane Plastics came through back in August and produced a couple of different versions which look great. I finally got them installed last month. The fit and finish is fantastic. If you would like a pair of these lenses, please send me a PM for more information. Remember, these lenses are only for those described in my post, post #1. They will only fit older style flat topped Hoerner wingtip with the installed Airtech kit.

Jerry
Old 10-24-2021, 09:42 AM

Now if we could only get someone to make the Air-tech kit again...
Old 11-30-2021, 02:52 PM

Default Lenses

I would be very interested my lenses are in really rough shape. I believe I have the flat top horner lens style.

Very difficult to come by.

Curt
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Wingtip.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	286.3 KB
ID:	18947